Jim DeMint | News | South Carolina

Sen. Jim DeMint: Gays, Single Women Shouldn't Teach

6a00d8341c730253ef01287652afa4970c-800wi

South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint truly outdid himself over the weekend. DeMint, a Republican, has long railed against the gays, whose marriages he thinks are "destructive" to society.

Well, DeMint went one step further this weekend, when, during a conservative church rally, he declared gay men and single women shouldn't teach, according to the Spartanburg Herald-Journal.

DeMint said if someone is openly homosexual, they shouldn't be teaching in the classroom and he holds the same position on an unmarried woman who's sleeping with her boyfriend — she shouldn't be in the classroom.

"(When I said those things,) no one came to my defense,” he said. “But everyone would come to me and whisper that I shouldn't back down. They don't want government purging their rights and their freedom to religion."

Huffington Post's Amanda Terkel points out that DeMint said something similar during the 2004 campaign and later retracted his statement, saying, "As my wife often reminds me, sometimes my heart disengages from my head and I say something I shouldn’t – and that’s what happened yesterday. I clearly said something as a dad that I just shouldn’t have said. And I apologize."

Clearly DeMint's apologies aren't worth much, although one does begin to see why Senatorial hopeful Christine O'Donnell, who describes homosexuality as an "identity disorder," cited DeMint as her inspiration.

Comments

1. Jim DeMint and his followers should give up their American citizenship and move to Iran. I believe they would find their beliefs to be more in-line with an Islamic dictatorship. I will personally pay for DeMint's airfare. Good luck, Jim, because this is America and your disgusting prejudice makes you more akin to Hitler or Stalin than Lincoln or Washington.

DeMint needs to stop infringing on my religious freedom to believe that you should treat your neighbor as yourself with his vile, Anti-Christian, Nazi-esque, retarded hatred.

Posted by: Bart | Oct 4, 2010 8:59:02 AM

2. if that the case....assholes shouldn't hold public office!

Posted by: ventura79 | Oct 4, 2010 9:00:06 AM

3. I have always been of the opinion that anyone who clings to superstition over facts shouldn't be allowed to teach or hold office.

Posted by: LiamB | Oct 4, 2010 9:08:30 AM

4. In light of five children killing themselves last few weeks, this kind of hate from our 'leaders' is why bullies think they have a pass to hate and taunt gays.

Coming from DeMint, who clearly thinks it's OK to serve in the Senate if you stay in the closet, like his fellow SC Senator Lindsey Graham. Time to put Graham's feet to the fire.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Oct 4, 2010 9:10:41 AM

5. oops, there it is....

So, for all the kids that were forced to hear that in the audience AT CHURCH... Being gay is either really bad, or worthy of scorn... take your pick.

What's most frightening is that this guy is embraced as a leader instead of being laughed out of town.

Religious freedom my ass- that's just plain prejudice.

Posted by: stephen | Oct 4, 2010 9:11:54 AM

6. So once again, to the religious right, if they can't get everyone else to pretend to agree with them and by hypocrites like they are, that's in infringement on THEIR rights. Got it.

Posted by: Houndentenor | Oct 4, 2010 9:15:38 AM

7. Hey DeMint, you self-righteous asshat, what about my freedom FROM religion?

Posted by: Alexander | Oct 4, 2010 9:49:13 AM

8. Dear Senator DEMWIT, maybe your ass will be voted out of office soon, and you can STFU, but I doubt it. The power of hate and bigotry is strong. I feel so sorry for our country.

Posted by: SONNIE | Oct 4, 2010 9:55:41 AM

9. The xtian taliban strikes again

Posted by: Tone | Oct 4, 2010 10:12:50 AM

10. What an idiotic statement. Who voted him?

Posted by: Matt26 | Oct 4, 2010 10:21:49 AM

11. Next step, eugenics.

Posted by: Lars | Oct 4, 2010 10:23:03 AM

12. "They don't want government purging their rights"

Ironic and moronic at the same time.

And, of course, by "freedom to religion" they mean "creating a theocracy to impose our religious views on everyone else."

Posted by: ravewulf | Oct 4, 2010 10:31:10 AM

13. His list is incomplete. The Bible says that to lust in one's heart is as damning as adultery. So no teachers who lust. No masturbators. And no men or women who divorce for non-Biblical reasons. Also, married people who cheat and married people who choose not to have kids, thus undermining the procreative purpose of marriage. Also women who have had abortions. Feel free to add to the list.

Posted by: Seth | Oct 4, 2010 10:36:23 AM

14. It's just astounding how many people misinterpret "freedom" of religion to mean that the person with the biggest guns or the most power imposes his personal religion by taking away the freedom of everybody who thinks or lives differently.
    Honestly, I sometimes think if the South and North had just divorced themselves instead of having a civil war, the South might now be the most backward and impoverished region of the Americas, with no real freedom for blacks or whites or anyone else.
    In most of the developed world, he'd be nothing but the village idiot. But in South Carolina they ELECTED this man?

Posted by: GregV | Oct 4, 2010 10:42:00 AM

15. Yes, his list really is incomplete. If status as sexual sinner is the prerequisite for teaching, then the top of the list should be adulterers, whose sin is so bad it is damned TWICE in the 10 Commandments -- outright in "thou shall not commit adultery" and de facto in "thou shall not covet thy neighbor's ass." Plus, adultery is a real threat to "traditional" marriage, since it is a leading cause of divorce.

Most Christians (and others) seem to think that 90% of the Bible is about the sin of gay sex, but in the scheme of things, gay sex is barely mentioned, whereas adultery is considered a very big deal.

If we're going to restrict people's rights based on what the Bible says, then adulterers should be prevented from remarrying, adopting children and, yes, teaching -- and it should be legal to fire or evict them for no other reason than their status as sinners.

Posted by: Jon Ponder | Oct 4, 2010 11:08:01 AM

16. Id like 10-15min in a back alley with DeMint...just a re-inactment of the Fight Club!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Oct 4, 2010 11:21:47 AM

17. Oh Dont worry he'lll be reelected next month...remember who the DEMOCRATIC nominee is...Alvin Green.

Does Fox News even bother with Mr. Green as much as we do christine O'donnell?

Posted by: mcNnyc | Oct 4, 2010 11:24:45 AM

18. The name DeMint is so GAY.

Posted by: phineas | Oct 4, 2010 11:36:09 AM

19. I'm really hating how the primary went down now in that state. If he had a real challenger Dems would be able to exploit this and make it a HUGE issue.

People are fine with knocking around gays, but single women? Those gals can organize and make sure he never gets a real job again. I mean, his statement is very 19th century considering single women have ALWAYS been the foundation of our school system.

Posted by: Joe | Oct 4, 2010 12:03:14 PM

20. @Jon Ponder, wouldn't adulterers be triple offenders, as they lie as well. And, hell, they probably scream about seeing God while fucking, so that makes it four for some.

People like DeMint are idiots.

Posted by: Joe | Oct 4, 2010 12:06:39 PM

21. Jim DeMint is frightened by strong, single women and brave gay men? Why else would he rant? Agreed, he should move to a theocratic country since that's the kind of government he wants. And take Christine O'Donnell, Sharron Angle, Rand Paul, Glenn Beck, and Michelle Bachman with you!

Posted by: mad1026 | Oct 4, 2010 12:14:27 PM

22. SC, the State that brought us such moral fiber, like Nikki Haley running for Governor who was accused of extra material affairs, Mark 'gone hiking' Sanford and his latino soul mate, Senator Strom Thurmon, racist who had a black love child, bachelor Lieutenant Governor Andre
    Bauer, who publicly denied that he’s gay, former Republican State Treasurer Thomas Ravenel pleaded guilty to charges of cocaine distribution, and my favorite Lindsey Graham, so deep in the closet that he backed down on a bill over right wing threats to out him.

DeMint would not last in a glass house or with him asking Jesus for some stones to throw.

I told my right wing family if they wanted to end divorce and save 'traditional marriage' that they should make adultery a felony, arrest the people who commit it, put them in prison so all the world knows that they live a lie. Let them lose their jobs, let their spouse sue them for every penny they have. That will save 'traditional' marriage.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Oct 4, 2010 12:14:30 PM

23. "But everyone would come to me and whisper that I shouldn't back down."

That's how one chooses to govern, by whisperocracy? Since SCOTUS decided we can have PACs that don't have to reveal their donors names, I guess that is what we have now.

Posted by: Latebrosus | Oct 4, 2010 12:26:57 PM

24. @GregV

See the Jesusland map -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesusland_map

Funny and sad at the same time.

Posted by: ravewulf | Oct 4, 2010 12:39:51 PM

25. I find it utterably unbelievable that DeMint thinks that openly gay teachers should not be teaching school, in light of the recent gay teen suicides. I speak from personal experience, as a former openly gay middle school teacher in CA, that LGBT students are desperate for LGBT adult role models they can turn to, especially in times of crisis.As far as his archaic view that a single woman shouldn't be teaching if she's sexually active, I guess DeMint wasn't raised by a single mother like so many of today's kids are. This moron needs to pull his head out of his a_ _ !

Posted by: Frederick | Oct 4, 2010 12:42:38 PM