Comments

1. rjp3 says

Amazing how the people shouting let him go and his own two feet on the car started a movement.

May he rest in peace and be blessed.

2. malo says

Raymond, I didn’t know about you until today. You make me proud, my fellow Gay Puerto Rican. May you rest in peace and remembered.

3. Bobo says

Gay people today are getting too comfortable with their second class status…we NEED another riot or two!!

4. mad1026 says

A man for the ages, a man for today. Thank you, Raymond Castro, for leading the way. We won’t let you down; we will continue to fight for equality. R.I.P.

5. Mick says

So, so handsome were those boys of 1969. Rest in Peace Raymond. Your footsteps will always sound on that street.

6. says

I was a combat veteran serving in Vietnam on that June night in 1969, totally unaware at that moment that people like myself were being Harrased, intimidated and generally treated as second class citizens back home. Homosexuality was known at the time as the “Love that dare not speak its name.” So most of us never did. I was shocked and inwardly thrilled to hear that some of my brothers and sistes were not only speaking about it, but shouting we are not going to take it anymore! I instinctively knew who the real heroes were and it wasn’t those of us who took the cowardly way out by remaining silent about who we are. It was truly an event that changed my life and I’m guessing the lives of many others like me. I came home from Vietnam, came out of the closet and haven’t looked back. Thank you Raymond Castro and all the others who participated in that historic event for the world’s gay community. We are forever grateful. May you rest in peace. There really is no going back, and that’s a good thing.

7. expatfrance says

@another mike — What a beautiful testament to the courage and honesty of both you and Raymond Castro. Live well