Anderson Cooper | CNN | Gay Media | Vince Vaughn

Universal Pulls Vaughn's 'Gay' Line After Anderson Cooper Comment

Andersoncooper-1 Earlier this week, while discussing anti-gay bullying with Ellen DeGeneres, CNN's Anderson Cooper voiced his disapproval of a line in the trailer for an upcoming Vince Vaughn movie, The Dilemma.

"Do you find it surprising that people still tell gay jokes? I mean, that people still use the 'F' word, that people still use that term, you know, 'Oh, that's so gay?'" Cooper asked DeGeneres, before offering his personal take: "I went to a movie theater this weekend, and a preview for a new movie, a new Vince Vaughn movie, in the preview, he uses the term. And it just shocked me that not only would they put this in the movie but that they would put this in the preview, that they didn't even think this might offend some people."

Cooper concluded, "I think it should offend a lot of people."

Though Cooper's comment went unnoticed for a few days, the news blew up this morning, leading Universal Pictures to hastily yank Vaughn's line, "Ladies and Gentlemen, electric cars are so gay," from the trailer.

The studio released the following statement, "The teaser trailer for The Dilemma was not intended to cause anyone discomfort. In light of growing claims that the introduction to the trailer is insensitive, it is being replaced. A full trailer, which has been in the works for some time, will post online later today."

Gay group GLAAD has been catching some heat for allegedly having seen and approved of the trailer. The group, however, insists it asked Universal to remove the scene. The studio clearly didn't listen, and it took Cooper to get the job done. Is this more proof Cooper, who just confirmed a daytime show, will be the next Oprah?

Comments

1. And The Anderson hate begins in 5...4....3....2..

Posted by: Lazycrockett | Oct 8, 2010 2:31:16 PM

2. Anderson Cooper just gets HOTTER every day.

Posted by: Bboy | Oct 8, 2010 2:32:00 PM

3. Thank you AC for going to the line for us once again. Keep up the good work, and much success in the future.

Posted by: Dan | Oct 8, 2010 2:36:51 PM

4. Not enough. From what I understand it's still going to be in the movie. They're only pulling it from the trailer. I mean I guess it's a start, but it's still not getting at the heart of the issue. It justifies the use of that language in real life.

Hollywood needs to have more responsibility than this. There is inappropriate language in movies all the time and I accept that, but the problem is that this is not considered inappropriate language and it needs to be.

Posted by: Matt | Oct 8, 2010 2:38:00 PM

5. i don't care whether he comes out of the closet or not. he's been stepping up to the plate to support us so much lately.

Posted by: alguien | Oct 8, 2010 2:38:41 PM

6. Wouldn't this be the time for Anderson to publically acknowledge that he is a gay man

Posted by: pete | Oct 8, 2010 2:39:22 PM

7. I love Anderson Cooper. Add me to the list of people who don't need him to officially come out. He is doing a great job as our advocate as is. Besides his 'status' falls into the 'worst kept secret' category anyway.

Posted by: lankyguy | Oct 8, 2010 2:39:57 PM

8. I am very happy to have him represent.

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Oct 8, 2010 2:44:01 PM

9. "Coming out" is so disco. This is the 21st Century. Everyone knows Anderson Cooper is gay, he doesn't deny it, and he does more good media work on behalf of the LGBT community than anyone whose first name isn't Ellen or Rachel.

You want a LGBT role model? You got one. LGBT heroes do not have to even be LGBT. Cooper lives his life with dignity, courage and truth -- I think the least we can do in return is give him a shred of privacy.

Posted by: ohplease | Oct 8, 2010 2:50:07 PM

10. I'm afraid it's really a problem with "closeted gay Hollywood" execs who don't speak up and speak out but let this sophomoric bigoted BS slip through. Enough already.

Posted by: Rob | Oct 8, 2010 2:52:07 PM

11. Anderson, Anderson, Anderson.... I love you more and more each day. I agree, he is a great advocate and I do not think he owes anyone a public coming out (we all know!). Would love to tame that silver fox!

Posted by: E | Oct 8, 2010 2:52:47 PM

12. The real tragedy here is that Vince Vaughn will continue appearing in movies.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 8, 2010 2:53:33 PM

13. I can't tell if, by that stare, Anderson is thinking about punching someone...or sexing them. HARD.

Posted by: Superman | Oct 8, 2010 2:53:51 PM

14. Was there ever an uproar over that "Paging Dr. Faggot!" line in "The Hangover", spoken by the character played by - of all people!Bradley Cooper? Did that get a lot of pushback but I missed it? I bristled when I heard it in the theater. I hate that kind of jocular, in-passing homophobia.

Posted by: fred | Oct 8, 2010 2:58:07 PM

15. @Superman ... I'm thinking BOTH!! :)

Posted by: Allen | Oct 8, 2010 3:01:58 PM

16. he's been really good with all of this lately

I've been one to give him a hard time in the past, but have to give him credit for stepping up to the plate this round

that's a great pic of him :)

Posted by: neverstops | Oct 8, 2010 3:11:38 PM

17. Vince Vaughn is just an actor speaking dialog a writer wrote; and a director, editors and ultimately producers approved. Any anger regarding anti-gay or alleged anti-gay dialog and themes in movies and TV should really be directed at producers and financial backers.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 8, 2010 3:15:20 PM

18. I, for one, have always considered Vince Vaughn to be a 'gay joke' himself, so I'm a little puzzled about his career....

...anyone repeatedly going to homophobic jokes in every one of his movies, (and is *well* over the age of say 13), probably has a certain 'secret', if you pick up what I'm throwing down....

Posted by: Terrance | Oct 8, 2010 3:19:58 PM

19. Dear Anderson,

Closet cases can't be publicly offended by gay slurs.

First you have to come out.

BTW - "that's so gay" is offensive, almost as offensive as a celebrity in the clostet.

Posted by: Closet Patrol | Oct 8, 2010 3:21:09 PM

20. He doesn't need to come out. But I wish he would. Then again, he doesn't need to come out. But I wish he would. Etc.

Posted by: adamblast | Oct 8, 2010 3:22:03 PM

21. No word should ever be off limits. Especially in a movie or a story. If unpleasant language is necessary and adds to the story line then use it.

Certainly, can't tell Mark Twain stories without using ni**er. Can't tell a story about homophobic closet cases without the use of Fag, queer and on they go. Words only have power when people empower them.

Posted by: Jason | Oct 8, 2010 3:22:55 PM

22. Wait - is Anderson coloring his hair?

That's so gay.

Posted by: Steve | Oct 8, 2010 3:37:32 PM

23. I'm gonna go against the grain here and say this is tantamount to censorship, and makes me more uncomfortable than the line itself.

There is or was a campaign to reduce images of cigarette smoking in films. That was a laudable goal, but it's up to the artists and creators to determine if a character should smoke or not. People in real life do.

People in real life say "that's so gay." I'm not happy about that (or particularly offended either), but we can't blame movies for reflecting life - even though life sometimes reflects it right back.

I also think we should pick our language battles better. Stamp out "Faggot." But I daresay most people are not purposefully insulting homosexuals when they say "that's so gay." Perhaps some education as to why that's potentially offensive is in order, but most people are not meaning to offend - and that's a big difference from language we should vehemently object to. Of course, YMMV - but that's another reason why "it's so gay" is not going away any time soon.

Posted by: Zlick | Oct 8, 2010 3:37:53 PM

24. I work in Hollywood. Just spent way too long on Nikki Finke's Deadline Hollywood blog which had a post about this that must have been linked to Drudge or something...because the insane and hateful comments are out of control.

Just to summarize some of the comments for you all: this is a freedom of speech issue...it's funny so gay people need to shut up...gay people are bullies...we stole the word gay in the 50's and need to give it back...blah blah blah

Just depressing to slog through.

Posted by: LA Guy | Oct 8, 2010 3:41:22 PM

25. @Zlick: This is not even remotely censorship, which would only be the case if the government or another controlling body removed the line.

This is the case of a business making a change to its product after being informed that it might be offensive to a portion of its customer base.

And I think you missed the point anyways. The line wasn't just being used in the film itself to depict a character, it was actually being used to market the film.

Posted by: crispy | Oct 8, 2010 3:51:46 PM