Space

Watch: Father And Son Launch Homemade Space Craft

Space

Last month, a father and son from Brooklyn launched a homemade weather balloon, complete with HD video camera and iPhone, into the sky. It managed to reach the planet's stratosphere - that's 100,000 feet high - and safely fall back to Earth where the duo located it thanks to the iPhone's GPS. The whole thing was recorded on video. Pretty cool stuff.

According to the dad, Luke Geissb├╝hler, no FAA approval was needed for the project. Watch the amazingly cool footage AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. What's the balloon boy's family up to?

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Oct 3, 2010 2:08:26 PM

2. Very cute footage, but I would hate to be in an airliner that happened to cross paths with their experiment.

Posted by: phineas | Oct 3, 2010 2:10:06 PM

3. How come my iPhone doesn't even get a signal when I go to the second story of my house?

Posted by: gr8guyca | Oct 3, 2010 2:39:30 PM

4. That was sweet. What a cool dad.

Posted by: Toddyy | Oct 3, 2010 3:17:07 PM

5. Well, well, my dad and I made tents out of pillows and sheets!!

Posted by: Jake Orlando | Oct 3, 2010 3:24:12 PM

6. Next up, a trip through the Denorius Belt, with a possible landing on Cardassia Prime!

/star trek nerd off

Posted by: Kurt | Oct 3, 2010 4:57:28 PM

7. NOT a space craft!

100,000 miles is only the bottom end of low earth orbit with atmospheric gasses etc.

Ur not even hitting 'space" till about 100x that

It might seem anal, but like Buckminster fuller and many others have felt...we do a disservice to ourselves and science while promoting ignorance by using words that are false by nature in describing phenomena (i.e. sunset/ sunrise...neither of which is reality. The sun does not move around the earth)

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Oct 3, 2010 5:12:39 PM

8. I'll echo Toddyy - what a cool Dad. I'd have loved it for my Father to have spent time with me on some project.

Posted by: Greg | Oct 3, 2010 5:17:55 PM

9. With support like he is getting from from his dad I predict that this boy will go far in life. What an inspiration! What a great project! What a great kid! What a great dad!

Posted by: Tone | Oct 3, 2010 5:21:28 PM

10. I have very fond memories of hanging out with my dad (now dead), and we use to go to the park and set off model rockets all the time. Not the same thing as Luke's rocket, but the point is father and son bonding. I feel sorry for guys who never got to bond with their dad. Nice story.

Posted by: ratbastard | Oct 3, 2010 5:21:45 PM

11. WOW. Just wow. This is, indeed, one fantastic dad. (Even if he didn't quite get the proper terminology for what the flight achieved.) The kid will never forget this experiment. I got shivers just watching the footage. Thanks, cool dad.

Posted by: Bill | Oct 3, 2010 8:50:41 PM

12. That is awesome. It's amazing that space starts at aprox. 19miles up. Driving that distance in a car is nothing.

Posted by: Harry | Oct 3, 2010 8:52:17 PM

13. Very cool! What a cool thing for something for a dad and his son to experience- something for the rest of their lives.

Posted by: JoeyO'H | Oct 4, 2010 7:54:07 AM

14. That just made my day! How utterly wonderful. Coolest dad ever! And OK, I'll be shallow and say it, SMOKIN' HOT!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Oct 4, 2010 9:37:42 AM

15. @MSTROZFCKSLV

100,000 would DEFINITELY be considered space.

But this only went up 100,000 FEET.

Talk about "promoting ignorance by using words that are false"

Posted by: Bradford | Oct 4, 2010 10:25:41 AM

16. I agree- my first shallow thought for sure. My second is that he could take my space on a wild ride anytime he wants! Ironically, every 2nd Sunday at Akbar in Los Angeles is the Bears in Space night. Should we send an invite?

Posted by: Mr. West | Oct 4, 2010 3:09:37 PM

17. Ok, mstrozfckslv,

Lets send you up to 100,000 feet with a pair of shorts on and a BBQ stained tank top. Then you can tell us how NOT "space" feels.
    Its as close as most of us will ever get to space, so Bravo to an awesome dad and a kid with imagination.
    My dad and I built model gliders and ships, and to Kurt, my dad helped me build a cardboard mockup of the starship Enterprise bridge, so yeah, love my dad to. (Nerd overload, I know)

Posted by: JT | Oct 4, 2010 3:29:16 PM