Comments

1. DougChgo says

What Seth said was quite appropriate. He answered the 4th grader’s questions as they were asked, both the initial question and the follow-ups. There was nothing sexual in his answers — they were related to marriage, as were the questions. The only quibble I have is in the word “choose,” but the context is correct for that word.

2. says

I’m from Beaverton, and the views expressed by the locals in this piece are much more in line with the people who live there than the discrimination exercised by the school district in this case.
    They’d better reinstate Mr. Stambaugh or the lesbians will go on strike!

3. John says

He said he wasn’t allowed to marry a man. Which is an entirely accurate statement when uttered in the United States of America. Same sex marriages are not recognized by the government. There’s nothing even remotely sexual about it. He did not even frame it as a question of being right or wrong (which might upset conservative parents). He just stated the facts.

4. Fred says

Kudos to Mr. Stambaugh!
    Fourth graders are not too young to learn about equality and marriage.
    If a student asks a question, any question, they are entitled to an accurate and complete answer. Anything less is dishonest and a disservice to the student.

Kudos to Mr. Stambaugh!

5. BobN says

When I was that age, our teacher announced her engagement in front of the classroom, with the principal there for the exciting moment. There was all manner of oooo-ing and ahhhhh-ing and clapping.

We all liked her.

Age-appropriateness, my ass.

6. nikko says

Sorry, but earrings on a male teacher is not professional. That’s right, innappropriate. But try getting that through this trashy generation of tattoos,piercings and other ugly trappings . He can put them on after work. As for how I look and sound, I’m just fine thank you.

7. Gabe R L says

Nikko, is it said anywhere that he was wearing earrings in the classroom? Maybe he was, but that so far has not been said. Weak attempt at a come back, self-loathing homophobe.

8. B-RAD says

HIM BEING A FLAMMING FAGGOT HAS NUTTIN TO DO WITH HIM TEACHING I.E. HE SHOULD HAVE LEFT HIS HOME LIFE AT HOME AND BEEN A TEACHER WHEN AT WORK THE FAG GOT EXACTLY WHAT HE DESERVED

9. B-RAD says

WOW I THINK THE HOMO’S AND LIZZIE’S TOOK ME UP ON MY CHALLENGE AND DECIDED I WAS RIGHT NOT NOT EQUATE BEING A DICK LOVING MAN OR PUSSY LICKING WOMAN TO BEING (YOUR WORD FOR DESCRIBING AN AFRICAN AMERICAN) “BLACK”