Bullying | Dan Savage | Michael Goff | towleroad | TowleTech | Video | YouTube

BigGayDeal.com

What Exactly Gets Better? Well, for starters... ; Towleroad Tips

If you just came out from under a rock this week, this is part of the It Gets Better Project on You Tube, launched by Dan Savage in response to increased coverage of suicides by young gay people, and likely an increase in actual attempts. This one by half of Logo's Jefferey and Cole team and TV writer Guy Branum speaks to the important role of friends in the end. A good reminder for any age.

Towleroad notes...

Though his talents differ from those of the friends portrayed in the video, thanks to my friend Rob for sending it on.

You too can always tip us on news or anything you think we should consider for Towleroad by sending us email at tips @ towleroad.com or through our contact page. Steve Pep's will be posting through the weekend, following a great effort in a  big news by by Andrew Belonsky. He continues Monday. And Andy Towle really will be back in another week.

Bonus Tip: On an iPhone? Hit the bookmark button when on the site to get a direct link to the site among your apps.

Bonus Tip 2: Can't remember how to spell "towleroad"? Just start typing t-o-w-l in Google's real-time search and you're here. Or use the shortcut url of tlrd.com (like our twitter name) which forwards to the site automatically.

Have a good weekend.

Comments

1. Utterly enchanting.

OK Cole -- WHERE'S YOUR VIDEO?!!!!!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Oct 1, 2010 11:03:21 PM

2. damn, I wish I had seen this video when I was 15...HOT!

Posted by: gayermo | Oct 1, 2010 11:43:48 PM

3. This is the lamest shit I have ever seen, but this of course comes from the people at Logo, and Chelsea Lately...the two worst pieces of crap to come across my TV screen in a long time.

Posted by: Bobo | Oct 2, 2010 1:22:53 AM

4. This is HORRIBLE ! If I had seen this when I was a teen, I would have definitely killed myself. What a vile, unhelpful, piece of shit video that was....

Posted by: Tre Gibbs | Oct 2, 2010 1:31:48 AM

5. They're so adorable! I don't understand the trolling here over this. It's a positive message that would have helped me considerably when I was in high school.

Posted by: Tone | Oct 2, 2010 1:54:04 AM

6. My my....teens will be VERY disappointed when they grow up and realize "friends" like the ones in the video cost $300 an hour.

This is garbage. It's like watching a Nicki Minaj music video.

You know...one of the teens who committed suicide recently was from Texas, another was from Indiana. The student who committed suicide yesterday was African-American.

How EXACTLY does showing the same tired stereotypes--that all gay men are lily white fashionistas who obsess over the Oscars and Christina Aguilera--give kids in the heartland from blue-collar backgrounds the impression that things are going to get better for them?

Posted by: JEREMY | Oct 2, 2010 2:02:22 AM

7. @ Tre Gibbs - AMEN. Felt the exact same way after wasting 2 minutes watching this - I'd totally kill myself if I knew I was destined to become such a pathetic stereotype like these guys. It's the equivalent of black people making a similar video showing the merits of a fried chicken & 'waddymelon' diet.

Posted by: Guill66 | Oct 2, 2010 4:02:37 AM

8. Yes, cheesy but well meant. Should have edited out the last minute save the message about the Trevor project. Luckily most 15 year olds are discerning enough to recognize that someone may not look or act exactly like them, but they may still have something in common.

Posted by: Paul R | Oct 2, 2010 5:09:08 AM

9. This is adorable and fantastic! If there had been sensitive, caring, reassuring, helpful people when I was 15, I could have skipped decades of pain. Eventually, I learned to tell bigots to go fuck themselves....but when you're 15, it's not so easy.

Posted by: Wimsy | Oct 2, 2010 10:29:17 AM

10. I think the video is horrible, particularly having an obvious queenie young guy talking about gay life. One of several reasons that I did not come out earlier in my life was that I thought that all gays were nelly, and I was only attracted to masculine young guys. Of course, those were the long-ago days before the internet and public disucssion of homosexuality. Younger guys should have fewer problems, unless you live in Red Neck country.

Posted by: David Jarrett | Oct 2, 2010 10:45:06 AM

11. Obviously, this video--which shies away from earnestness but not cliché--isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but, reality check, what's the problem with having a "queenie young guy talking about gay life"? Guess what--nelly young guys, some of them blue-collar and in the heartland, exist. And are the first to be tortured by their peers. They might actually relate to another young queen, or a fat funny queen who's done pretty well for himself.

I'm sure there are plenty of masculine young guys out there who can make different videos~it takes all kinds.

Posted by: Ernie | Oct 2, 2010 11:02:15 AM

12. Why can't gay men just act straight?! Ugh!!! Maybe then they wouldn't be bullied!

Seriously, the self-loathing gay bashing in this comments section is ironic given the subject, to say the least.

Posted by: Feral | Oct 2, 2010 11:07:23 AM

13. I wish I hadn't watched it. I'm supposed to be shooting one tomorrow, and I've been avoiding seeing others. Ya know, I don't have a big budget, so - fucking forgive me for being a white guy from L.A. who wants to contribute something - but it's going to be shot on location in fucking Los Angeles and staring, um, ME - who happens to be lily white. I guess if I were really good-looking, that would be more points against me. Sheesh.

Posted by: Zlick | Oct 2, 2010 11:20:10 AM

14. @Feral - ironic at least indeed. Sad, deplorable and unhelpful is more like it. Something tells me that a lot of the guys commenting on here were the ones who probably would join in making fun of the nelly, sissy boys so all their jock friends wouldn't think they were gay, too, and stop letting them suck them off after school.

Really, who needs straight guys to bully us, make fun of us and condescend to us? We seem to do it well enough ourselves.

Posted by: Brian | Oct 2, 2010 11:21:31 AM

15. "And, Direct message to Andy T.: Yes you're missed. No, it isn't the same. Put down he iPad."

Direct message to Michael Goff: Yes, that was incredibly rude to Andrew, who has been doing a fantastic job in Andy's absence. No, you clearly haven't learned how to proofread.

Posted by: Billy | Oct 2, 2010 12:00:13 PM

16. One thing: If you want to reach teenagers, this may not do it. When I was a teenager there were people who knew what and how to say on tv to teenagers. They spoke to my generation the way we understood. This video spoke to current teenagers the language of older generations. I don't think it speaks to teenagers.

Posted by: Matt26 | Oct 2, 2010 12:24:52 PM

17. "Why can't gay men just act straight?! Ugh!!! Maybe then they wouldn't be bullied!"

I hope that was a snark. We come in all flavors: nelly, butch, leathermen, and drag queens. I know I'm missing a lot. Guys, it's okay to be attracted to a certain type, but don't devalue the other types just because you're not interested. Personally, I never want to hear "straight acting" ever again. I know some pretty effeminate straight guys. Masculine or butch would be better descriptions.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Oct 2, 2010 12:25:41 PM

18. Rubbing on Jeffery Self's chest? No thanks.

Posted by: Royy | Oct 2, 2010 12:40:43 PM

19. I liked it very much and am now pretty shocked to read all the vile, visceral reactions to it. Wow! Like, "If I had seen this video when I was 15 I would have killed myself." Really? A video you don't particularly like would have made you off yourself? What stopped you? And what's with all the nelly/queeny hate? Don't you realize it's most likely the nelly/queeny boys who are most likely to kill themselves as they are the most "obviously" gay, not able to hide their homosexuality therefore mostly likely to get bullied in the first place! Jesus, boys! What's with all the hating? That's what this whole video project is all about! Stopping all the homo hate. So bitches please! Stop it already!

Posted by: Mike | Oct 2, 2010 1:00:06 PM

20. Actually, a pretty terrific message by two well-meaning gentlemen, who really did speak (in a seemingly heartfelt manner) to the concerns of different types of adolescent gays.....until the speedo wearing boys show up and make it seem otherwise. Therein lies the problem. Cutting room, please!

Posted by: shanesoho | Oct 2, 2010 1:33:12 PM

21. Wouldn't it be more honest to call the project "It Can Get Better", instead of promising that it definitely will? Not that life doesn't get better for lots of people, but then there are the folks for whom stuff never ever comes together. Giving them false hope seems cruel.

And yes, when I was 15 this video would have made me feel even more alone - these two guys' lives, at least as they're presented here, wouldn't have seemed like anything I'd want or even relate to (and that's still true now, 30+ years later). On the other hand, clearly they would have spoken to their own younger selves, which is really what most of these videos boil down to: people telling their teenage selves what the future holds for them.

Posted by: Sancho | Oct 2, 2010 1:34:52 PM

22. But you aren't really good looking, zlick. Not by a long shot. So count your blessings, ugly.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 2, 2010 1:40:13 PM

23. This is obnoxious idiocy...there really are a healthy contingent of professional gays who are feeding the problem. These two should have had another drink, popped a few more pills, and reconsidered.

Posted by: TANK | Oct 2, 2010 1:42:25 PM

24. GREAT Job guys, i really cant believe the vile comments on here. Why are you bitchy queens being so mean spirited towards such a positive cause?...got better ideas?, go make your own video or offer constructive criticism other than the same tired bitter negativity. I contemplated suicide as a teen a number of times growing up abroad and wish I've had the chance to watch a similar video back then. Some of you out there go out of your way to DESTROY a noble and well meaning initiative. Justin Bieber on here is very very CUTE.

Posted by: Omar | Oct 2, 2010 1:43:20 PM

25. Yes, it does get better, and has for me as well, but how did I miss out on the sexy friends willing to take off their clothes and rub my shoulders? Am I hanging out in the wrong places? I want a refund.

Posted by: djcchicago | Oct 2, 2010 1:58:23 PM