Buffalo Bills CJ Spiller Apologizes for Calling Eagles Player a 'Fag'

Spiller

Buffalo Bills running back CJ Spiller apologized for tweeting “Keep my name out ur mouth fag.” at Philadelphia Eagles rookie defensive end Ricky Sapp after practice on Wednesday. Spiller's tweet has since been deleted.

Tweeted Spiller yesterday: “I wanna apologize for using dat derogatory term to any1 that I may have offended I am truly sorry that was out of my character...God bless.”

Spiller also apologized before practice: "Me and Ricky, you know, we're best friends. We always joke around on there and I shouldn't have said what I said. I apologize for it. I'll kind of leave it at that. You definitely got to be careful of what you put. If anybody knew how me and Ricky play around on Twitter, pretty much know that we were just joking and didn't mean any harm. People did, and it is what it is. Like I said, I apologize for the situation and just move forward, you know, get ready for the ballgame. I'll be off of Twitter for a couple of days and hopefully it will go away. But I mean, if not, I'm still going to get on there and update my fans."

The NFL has yet to respond to Spiller's slur.

(image the state)

Comments

1. This shit is starting to get a little out of hand. I don't mind him getting called on it, but if he sincerely apologized, then let it be. Some homosexual 'advocates' are starting to look like vindictive assholes themselves.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 19, 2010 11:19:38 AM

2. The point, RATBASTARD, is that the word is, as Mr. Spiller says, a derogatory term. When it is then applied to someone who is presumably not gay in the manner of this tweet, the insult is the suggestion that the person is gay - as though that in itself is something insulting. So, no. Until the F-word is as unacceptable as the N-word, this vindictigve asshole is not going to let it be.

Posted by: Rob | Nov 19, 2010 11:47:49 AM

3. He should have tweeted back to him: Yeah, blow me, bitchbred churchpunk. You need Jesus to give you a hard on, right? Just for kicks, you know, all in fun. 'Cuz like, we know each other and shit.

Posted by: SeriouslySick | Nov 19, 2010 11:55:42 AM

4. He apologized, It was a real apology. That is all you can ever ask for and he delivered. DROP IT.

Posted by: Fenrox | Nov 19, 2010 12:04:03 PM

5. Stand down, troops. There ARE times when mistakes should be forgiven, and those committing them should the stake and its pyre.

CJ Spiller apologizes BEFORE the tweet made the gay blogosphere rounds, BEFORE it gained a groundswell of righteous indignation. That tells me he - or his people - realized he should check his words. And he did.

So kudos for him for being more sensitive than most hetero-centric NFLers.

He's forgiven as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by: TommyOC | Nov 19, 2010 12:05:03 PM

6. I forgive him for using the word "fag." However, his atrocious grammar is unforgivable.

Posted by: Rich | Nov 19, 2010 12:15:21 PM

7. ahhh...the grammar police...who dat?

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Nov 19, 2010 1:08:17 PM

8. Grammer police? How about speaking ENGLISH.
    -Bill Cosby

Posted by: SFshawn | Nov 19, 2010 1:38:47 PM

9. This is just dumb straight guys playing around. People often call each other gay or faggot as another way of saying stupid or dumb - not even meaning anything anti-gay. People also call each other the n-word, and that too can be negative or fine to people based on its context.

It's not like he tweeted "you suck dick like a fag." Choose your battles....

Posted by: tyn | Nov 19, 2010 1:40:16 PM

10. If "fag" is just a friendly put-down to be tossed about and really means nothing more, I think it's selfish of us to maintain this monopoly. How about rotating slurs? They could be picked at random once a month on national TV like a lottery. Bob Barker could come out of retirement for the first pick, then the next month, a representative of the out-going group could spin the cage and select the slur for the next month. Besides being more fair, it could help keep alive all those other "friendly" words no one ever uses anymore.

Posted by: BobN | Nov 19, 2010 2:07:19 PM

11. Case By Case - The word "fag" has become something more than just "gay," and we all get that. But, just as calling someone a "pussy" which = "girl" = soemthing less than worthy, dropping it in our language is going to take time. We should always educate, which helps more than blasting someone. He apologized right away, his response seems genuine, and now everyone in his circle will think twice about using "The F-Word." This is a win. =)

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Nov 19, 2010 2:29:40 PM

12. I don't forgive him, as he's only 'sorry to those who may have been offended'. In other words, he doesn't mind that some people are cool with it. Meanwhile, the filter doesn't let me type the N-word. Go figure!

Posted by: Drew | Nov 19, 2010 4:39:17 PM

13. You vengeful nellie bitches need to seriously chill the fuck out. He apologized. GET OVER IT.

Posted by: Guill66 | Nov 19, 2010 8:42:50 PM

14. Keep on stigmatizing it. I don't accept this douche's halfhearted apology. I'm sick of apologies. It seems like that's all you have to do to play that game...say what you mean and feel, and then when the big bad boss comes down on you give this lame ass "sorry that you're offended by my choice of words" BS. Damage already done. And to those who accept it uncritically: you don't deserve even THAT MUCH, FAGGOTS! Go fuck yourselves.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 19, 2010 8:59:05 PM

15. Wow Tank, it must suck to go through life being as bitter, angry, and jaded as you are. You're going to die cold and alone someday, and have no one to blame but yourself. I feel sorry for anyone who has the misfortune of knowing you.

Posted by: Guill66 | Nov 19, 2010 10:58:33 PM

16. Yeah, not accepting 'faggot' and not being okay with its use is totally bitter and jaded. Not willing to be okay with an apology of someone who uses it casually, and only apologizes to wink wink nod nod at those who honestly think it's okay (including him)...like you...is totally angry. Talk about misplaced anger from you. You could at least pick something more clearly indicative of your vague, grasping folk psychological narrative and accusations. But you can't. After all, you're a moron. If it makes you feel any better, you too will die alone...as will we all. Alone and "cold"--and honestly, what does that even mean? You're not be snuggling up on your death bed...LMAO! I made myself laugh at you.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 19, 2010 11:09:50 PM

17. I sense an emerging market for death snuggies.

Posted by: Wes | Nov 20, 2010 8:39:26 AM

18. I hate faggots like you Tank - everytime i read of a gay bashing I always hope it's some bitter jaded militant political douche-tard like you. Do the world a favor and go die in a fire.

Posted by: Guill66 | Nov 20, 2010 4:04:43 PM

19. blah blah blah, you're all talk. What are you going to do about it? Get a bottle broken on your face, breaking your jaw? How about every bone in your right hand ground into powder? Getting gut punched so hard you shit blood for a month? What are you going to do about it, punk?

Posted by: TANK | Nov 20, 2010 4:09:56 PM

20. I think we could give the man just a little more credit than this thread of bitchy nasties is giving him.

Posted by: Danny | Nov 21, 2010 7:41:47 PM