Celebrating Daphne

Daphne

A mom celebrates her son's wish to dress up as Daphne from Scooby Doo at Halloween, and describes the days leading up to, as well as, his arrival at school on that day:

And that’s where things went wrong. Two mothers went wide-eyed and made faces as if they smelled decomp. And I realize that my son is seeing the same thing I am. So I say, “Doesn’t he look great?” And Mom A says in disgust, “Did he ask to be that?!” I say that he sure did as Halloween is the time of year that you can be whatever it is that you want to be. They continue with their nosy, probing questions as to how that was an option and didn’t I try to talk him out of it. Mom B mostly just stood there in shock  and dismay.

And then Mom C approaches. She had been in the main room, saw us walk in, and followed us down the hall to let me know her thoughts. And they were that I should never have ‘allowed’ this and thank God it wasn’t next year when he was in Kindergarten since I would have had to put my foot down and ‘forbidden’ it. To which I calmly replied that I would do no such thing and couldn’t imagine what she was talking about. She continued on and on about how mean children could be and how he would be ridiculed.

My response to that: The only people that seem to have a problem with it is their mothers.

Another mom pointed out that high schools often have Spirit Days where girls dress like boys and vice versa. I mentioned Powderpuff Games where football players dress like cheerleaders and vice versa. Or every frat boy ever in college (Mom A said that her husband was a frat boy and NEVER dressed like a woman.)

But here’s the point, it is none of your damn business.

Bravo, Mom!

And my little man worked that costume like no other. He rocked that wig, and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Read the whole post HERE.

Comments

1. johnny says

LOVE LOVE LOVE this story! Thousands of men – straight and gay – dress like women for halloween.

I would have said a hellova lot more to those prude bitches than the mother did. She was far too gracious, but I’m sure she held her tongue for her son’s sake.

2. patrick nyc says

ANDY thanks for sharing this wonderful story. After this past election, where we saw reason take a holiday, it’s nice to see that sane people not only exist, but great ones are bringing up children.

3. art says

When I post a blog entry from Towleroad on my Facebook wall, it would be great if I could include an image from the entry with it instead of the Towleroad logo. It would help draw my Facebook friends in.

4. DougChgo says

@ART: It’s from the blog called nerdyapplebottom.com. You can post it from there — I first saw it on my fb wall directly from nerdyapplebottom.com. Good luck — great story — great mom! Cool kid. Parents like her are the ones who should be lucky enough to have gay kids.

5. coolbearinmd says

What Patrick said.
    Just when you’re ready to give up on this country and this era, there’s a great story about a great and inspiring American. And the thing is, she’s a product of this country and its values just like those other sad, messed-up moms are. And for all the fuss they make about Sarah Palin and Christine O’Donnell, everybody knows that Ellen DeGeneres and Oprah Winfrey are the ones Americans really turn to for hope and inspiration.

6. Paul says

That kid is going to grow up to be an exceptionally well adjusted cool young man, gay straight totally irrelevant. He will be confident, happy and super happy. Isn’t that the point ? That Mum is brilliant.

7. DN says

I work in the head office of a Fortune 500 company (I think we rank in the mid-200s), and our executive team does an elaborate Halloween show that they tour to all the major offices in town.

In what has become a tradition, our male President always comes in drag. This year he was Lady Gaga, last year, he was Tenille, the year before, he was some other female pop star.

Point is if this kid has any future ahead of him, it’s clearly as the CEO of one of America’s largest corporations. I wonder if Moms A or B would want that for their children…? 😉

8. Strepsi says

And, since no one has mentioned another reason why this mom is so cool: this is an AMAZING COSTUME!

The day-glo colors, the child-safe approximation of go-go boots, the purse! I want this mom, and I want this costume!

What a cool kid. 😉

9. billy says

“If you think that me allowing my son to be a female character for Halloween is somehow going to ‘make’ him gay then you are an idiot. Firstly, what a ridiculous concept. Secondly, if my son is gay, OK. I will love him no less. Thirdly, I am not worried that your son will grow up to be an actual ninja so back off.”

I want that Mommy!

10. ANTHONY says

Bravo MOM. Why can’t there be more like you. You will be blessed for loving your child no matter what. I would love to give her and her little boy a big hug. Many moms say they love their child unconditionally but can moms a,b,c say that if their son asked to do this? I also love how all the straight guys use halloween as an excuse to dress like a woman yet look down on glbt community for doing it every other day.