BigGayDeal.com

News: Nancy Pelosi, Owls, Vanderbilt, Michael Pitt, Web Therapy

Road Exit poll: Nearly one-third of gays voted for GOP.

RoadNancy Pelosi to run for House Minority Leader: "Driven by the urgency of creating jobs & protecting #hcr, #wsr, Social Security & Medicare, I am running for Dem Leader."

Owl RoadHarry Potter blamed for owl crisis in India: "Indian Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh has blamed fans of Harry Potter for the demise of wild owls in the country as children seek to emulate the boy wizard by taking the birds as pets."

RoadAustralian rugby player in dog oral sex scandal.

RoadAide to Belgian archbishop resigns: "The spokesman for the head of the Roman Catholic Church in Belgium, Archbishop André-Joseph Léonard, quit Tuesday, saying he could no longer speak for a man who had spoken harshly of AIDS and homosexuality and sympathized with some pedophile priests."

Road Jake Gyllenhaal turns it on for the premiere of Love and Other Drugs.

RoadChicago's Howard Brown clinic in danger: "The alleged mismanagement of millions of dollars in grant money associated with a decades-long study of men infected with HIV has left the Howard Brown Health Center, one of the country's largest lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender health care organizations, in dire financial shape, officials said today...needs to raise $500,000 before the end of the year or it may cease operations."

RoadFlipping Out's Trace Lehnhoff dresses up as 'Guy with iPhone' for Halloween.

Watch: Meryl Streep and Lisa Kudrow team up for Web Therapy.

LutzRoadKellan Lutz tries the 'clothes on' thing for a change.

RoadSan Francisco still a tough place for gay teens.

RoadDonald Trump tries to out contestant on The Apprentice: "You never know, and who cares, right, David? I know guys who were married for 20 years, they left with a guy, I mean, they liked a guy, so you know—right David? Are you sure you don’t want to come out?"

RoadLOGO's A-List casting a net for vapid queens from Los Angeles and Dallas.

RoadVanderbilt University fraternity Beta Upsilon Chi rejects two members over sexual orientation: “(President Wigger) said that someone had approached the officer corps and suggested that I might be struggling with homosexuality. He would not tell me who told the officer corps, or when, or on what basis my sexuality had come into question, but said that the entire officer corps had been apprised of this person's suspicion..."

Pitt RoadGus van Sant gets Michael Pitt in the sand for Vman.

RoadVideo tour of Six Flags New Orleans, shuttered since Katrina.

RoadIf I would want anyone to teach me to make castanets, it'd be Amy Sedaris.

RoadObama reflects on his problems in 60 minutes interview: "I think that over the course of two years we were so busy and so focused on getting a bunch of stuff done that we stopped paying attention to the fact that leadership isn't just legislation. That it's a matter of persuading people."

RoadZach Galifianakis upset that his days as a gay sex object are waning: "Staring out the window of Abbot's Habit, the performer pondered seeing his 'ugly mug' on billboards all over town and the 12-year span when nobody knew or cared who Galifianakis was in Hollywood. He also considered the negative impact of gaining so much weight — at least in terms of winning amorous attention at a certain Venice watering hole. 'There's a bar around here that I used to go to, Roosterfish. It's a gay bar,' Galifianakis said. 'I used to go because I liked to get hit on, even though I'm a straight guy. And now it never happens anymore!...I mean, because of me gaining 25 pounds? Really frustrating.'"

Comments

1. RE: San Francisco still a tough place for gay teens.

With the spate of bullying-related gay youth suicides recently, I posed a question about attitudes and services for LGBT youth in our district, which includes Visitacion Valley, to a Family Friendly District 10 Candidates Forum. The question wasn't brought up at the forum, but some of the candidates replied to the question in my post (http://d10canwatch.blogspot.com/2010/10/question-that-didnt-get-asked-yesterday.html), and I hope that whomever wins the D10 supervisor seat takes this issue up and tries to find a solution for our vulnerable youth.

Posted by: Chris Waddling | Nov 5, 2010 3:57:46 PM

2. Nancy Pelosi gets so much shit from people. She's one of the only Democrats with Republican balls.

Posted by: wes | Nov 5, 2010 3:58:58 PM

3. The gay housewives are expanding? That can only mean The A-List is a success. Who on Tim Gunn's green earth watches this trash?

File under: Things that make me die inside.

Posted by: crispy | Nov 5, 2010 4:08:48 PM

4. Exit poll: Nearly one-third of gays voted for GOP.

I wish I were in another minority group with brighter participants.

Posted by: Gregoire | Nov 5, 2010 4:16:44 PM

5. I wish you were, too, gregoire.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 5, 2010 4:18:52 PM

6. it should be noted that the "fraternity" at Vanderbilt is a "Christian Fraternity" and not a traditional fraternity sanctioned by the Interfraternity Council. Also that the university appears to be taking the appropriate actions.

Posted by: Dan B | Nov 5, 2010 4:22:17 PM

7. Six Flags would be a great place to film a movie about the aftermath of an apocalypse.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Nov 5, 2010 4:32:53 PM

8. One third of gays voted for the GOP? Can't wrap my head around that.

But at least a third of the general population seems to utterly uninformed idiots so maybe that's about right.

Posted by: YJ | Nov 5, 2010 4:33:27 PM

9. If you watch Logo's The A-List as just, well...a list, then it is allowed to be a guilty pleasure of the "so bad it's almost good" variety...

Posted by: yeahisaidit | Nov 5, 2010 4:48:17 PM

10. I'd still hit on Zach G even with the weight gain. His beard makes me go grrrrrr!

Posted by: Derek Pearce | Nov 5, 2010 4:48:48 PM

11. Nancy Pelosi - like Harry Reid - is simply a terrible communicator - and unable to communicate effectively with any but the most loyal Democrats. Their respective elections to positions of leadership are evidence of the arrogance and incompetence of the Democrats in this Congress.

Tom Delay - the former exterminator and House Member from Texas - was known as the "Velvet Hammer" on the Hill for his ability to get things done and get votes - but he was never elected to the Leader of the House - since Republicans understood he is simply not a good communicator of the party's message to the general public.

If the Democrats could maybe - even once - understand that there is an actual job to do - instead of simply vilifying the Republicans and imagining that is accomplishing something -- maybe they could start to get things done - and if they thought Pelosi (and Reid) were the politicians to convince voters to embrace their agenda - they are too stupid to remain in office.

I am sick and tired of Republicans accomplishing their money-stealing-country-destroying agenda while the Democrats imagine that accomplishing a compromise-ridden nothing is the same thing.

Posted by: ricky | Nov 5, 2010 4:55:23 PM

12. YJ,

You did your math wrong, clearly it's more like two thirds.

Posted by: Jason (the commenter) | Nov 5, 2010 5:11:23 PM

13. Great news about the expanded numbers of gays voting GOP! We as a community are taken for granted by the Democrats and ignored by the Republicans because we put all our eggs in one basket.

The Professional Gay crowd at HRC, et al, should take note. There are lots of us, and all Democrats are not good and all Republicans are not evil. Our "Fierce Advocate" is the perfect example.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Nov 5, 2010 6:01:36 PM

14. LL, you're a lying hack. You don't care about gay rights at all, and are a party line zombie when it comes to the GOP. You will and do anything to defend their ideology. Don't pretend to any measure of neutrality or tactical advantage, as you and your advice are WORTHLESS.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 5, 2010 6:13:01 PM

15. And tuesday wasn't a mandate, partisan hack! No mandate...they didn't sweep both houses, so prepare for gridlock...which is to be preferred over the antiamerican activities of the republican party's agenda...including expanding the deficit by almost a trillion dollars while contributing nothing to job creation and lowering the deficit. Douchebags...

Posted by: TANK | Nov 5, 2010 6:16:01 PM

16. HATE seeing smoking portrayed as sexy or glamorous as in that photo. Dumbf*cks.

Posted by: live long | Nov 5, 2010 6:17:59 PM

17. I think it looks great (I say as I suck on my heavenly cigarette).

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Nov 5, 2010 6:24:51 PM

18. Can we stop using the term "fierce advocate"? I'm really tired of hearing it. It gets repeated in these comments several times a day, as though we're not all familiar with the face that Obama hasn't delivered.

That said, the wording on the gays voting GOP story was unclear. It said that nearly one-third voted for *a* Republican. It didn't indicate they voted entirely Republican. They could have voted for a Republican school board member but otherwise voted entirely Democrat. If that's not what the wording means and gays did vote solidly GOP, that's quite sad.

As for SF and teens, the first kid they profiled was transgender and the second was the child of traditional Latino immigrants whose main problems were at home. No offense, but neither is representative of a typical young gay person in SF or anywhere else. Cross-dressing in high school is going to attract attention and bullying anywhere for the foreseeable future.

Posted by: Paul R | Nov 5, 2010 6:39:38 PM

19. WOWOWO!!! I strongly suggest you a great s ite
    :)【S-U-G-A-R】 【M-O-M-M-A】【 D-A-T-E】.* 【C,0m】:):)
    _Best single dating site in the world! which gives you a chance to make your life better and open opportunities for you to meet the attractive singles and treat you like a king or Queen. Maybe you wanna check it out or tell your friends.

Posted by: anna | Nov 5, 2010 7:53:32 PM

20. Andy,

Thank you a million times over for featuring a blurb about Howard Brown Health Center's dire financial troubles. I hope that it gets people in our community, even if you do not live in Chicago or the Midwest, to help out. I'm sure the organization will be happy with any forms or amounts of support so they can continue the excellent work that they do.

Posted by: Jer | Nov 5, 2010 8:33:21 PM

21. so that bootleg poll stated that they asked about 3,000 people who they voted for, only about 100 identified as gay, so that means only about 30 gay voters in their sample, voted for a republican candidate. Misleading story, is misleading. Lol, sounds like o'reilly throwing out his ~*~magical~*~ statistics on The View.

Posted by: B | Nov 6, 2010 12:27:04 AM

22. "Australian rugby player in dog oral sex scandal."

Knick-nack, paddywhack, give a dog a bone . . .

Posted by: Jacknasty | Nov 6, 2010 2:24:24 AM

23. Am I alone in not understanding Michael Pitt's appeal? I mean, he always looks like a strung out junkie no matter what he appears in...from "Boardwalk Empire" to even his early days on "Dawson's Creek."

Posted by: Keith | Nov 6, 2010 11:49:42 AM

24. Paul's right and B's right; the poll is not meaningless, but the power granted to it by many is telling.

I, too, wondered if the % meant to "a" or "all" Republicans.

My theory—of course Obama was seen as a potential gay savior, so the 18% that didn't vote for him could be seen as the maximum % of gays who are just HARDCORE Republicans, always.

But note that the previous election had 26%—and this was after all the horrendous anti-gay posturing and action by the Republicans!—so comparing midterm to midterm it went from 26% to 31%. And the %s themselves were shakily determined to begin with.

I can see how a % of gays would vote for more Republicans, feeling, "Why bother voting for all Dems?" after Obama's performance, but I doubt it was as dramatic as is being purported.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Nov 6, 2010 6:33:58 PM

25. Vanderbilt is doing nothing. They're waiting for an "official complaint". This sounds like nothing but an excuse to sweep this under the carpet to be candid.

Posted by: josh | Nov 13, 2010 10:46:01 AM