Comments

1. says

Disgusted American:

Actually, in the Eastlake area, they would probably put up with the N-word as well.

Not surpised about the board’s decision. A lot of right wingers there – the type who work in relatively liberal Cleveland, then commute to their exurb to avoid the gays, the people of color, and non-Republicans.

2. mike says

I left Ohio some time ago and this video is one of a multitude of reasons I do not ever regret my decision. Ohio has become a cesspool of every kind of decadent, right-wing, extremist movements. It has gone so far to the right that it is off the meter. It is the vanguard of what the republicon party will become, a process accelerated by the Nov. 2 elections. God help any poor soul who lives there and does not conform to the right-wing, totalitarian group-think.

3. Anna says

I am absolutely NOT defending what happened at this school, or the fact that they are refusing to put an LGBT anti discrimination policy in place…but please get off Ohio’s case. We’re not all this way. There are some good people in Ohio. Promise.

4. TANK says

Yeah, but mostly bad people, anna. And that should be directed at those giving you a bad name and not those justifiably responding to it. Change the perception…that many ohioans give it…

5. Bryan says

Once upon a time 500 LGBTQ people would have showed up at their next game wearing powder blue sweatsuits.

Now we just whine about how bad people use nasty words.

6. Meijay says

I’m with Anna. I live in Ohio, too, and it’s hardly a right-wing cesspool in spite of the GOP landslide Nov. 2. The coastal snobbery is a bit much considering there have been more stories of gay bashing and murder and whatnot coming from the so-called liberal bastions of New York and DC than there have been in the cultural wasteland.

7. David says

Anna, Meijay

Get this school kicked out of its sports league – if they are barred from competing against other schools because of their unsportsmanlike conduct, they’ll change their policy.

8. Connor says

The fact that adults let this go on says two things ,one that it’s a total white trash area,and two that it’s a homophobic area and no excuses from anyone near there. This is hateful and disgusting and no it wouldn’t be allowed in any area near l.a or New york…

9. JT says

That’s true, Meijay. Some gay-gays still like to hold on tight to their fantasies that NYC and Los Angeles are soooooo cool and the rest of the country isn’t. There’ve been more gay-bashings in NYC, California, (and Atlanta) than anywhere in the last two years. (And I live in NYC). And, Connor, you haven’t been to any sporting events in the NYC area if you think the word “faggot” isn’t thrown around freely.

10. Meijay says

Connor, you clearly missed the article a few weeks back about the anti-gay taunting in the stands at Yankees games. Oh, and the Yankees play in New York. So by your own definition, that makes New York a whie trash and homophobic place.

11. says

Those of you in the NYC, Boston, and DC areas shouldn’t delude yourselves into believing that you’re “safe” because you live there. Just last year, there was a murder in a Massachusetts gay club. Bashings in NYC and DC have been reported at Towleroad several times.

I live near Cleveland (not Eastlake or Willoughby, which are in another county). In all the years I’ve been here, I’ve never encountered any homophobic remarks, gestures, or the like. Not once. I’ve been out of the closet since 1985. And no one with eyes can avoid the conclusion that my husband and I are a couple.

Ohio is not a cesspool of homophobia any more than most of America is. Ohio is a microcosm of of the U. S. in general. It’s not for nothing that Ohio has voted with the rest of the country in every Presidential election except one (1960) over the last 100 years.

12. says

@Hank: How lucky that you’ve never, not once, encountered any homophobic remarks, gestures or the like. Living in Dayton, Ohio, and having been out almost as long as you, since 1991, I’ve been been called faggot or queer driving around in my convertible. It happens a lot less lately, but it’s happened.

It’s true that Ohio’s not a cesspool of homophobia any more than most of America is, but there definitely is homophobia here. In addition to being called faggot driving around in my gay car, I saw the homophobia at Dayton’s two sets of hearings on a non-discrimination ordinance, the first, unsuccessfully, in 1999, and the second, successfully, in 2007.

Ohio’s not the worst place in the world or the United States to live in, but face it, we can’t even get a vote in our state senate on a statewide non-discrimination bill. Yes, there are gay bashings in more liberal places, but Ohio’s not the most homo-friendly place.