Don't Ask, Don't Tell | Eric Alva | Military | News

Watch: Former Staff Sgt. Eric Alva, the First Marine Wounded in Iraq, Speaks Out About DADT on Hardball

Alva

Former Staff Sgt. Eric Alva, the first Marine wounded in Iraq, speaks out about "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" on Hardball and coming out as a gay man.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. pretty cool guy. And easy on the eye.

Posted by: Danny | Nov 24, 2010 8:48:22 PM

2. I cannot imagine what those who are against the repeal of DADT could manage to express, honestly, and I stress honestly, their views if they were to sit across a table in public view, say CSPAN and on the record, a denial that this man is unable and unworthy of serving his country honestly and openly as who he is at his core, as any other man or woman who happens to be heterosexual. I simply do not understand.

Posted by: GJ | Nov 24, 2010 10:53:33 PM

3. Sad our "fierce advocate" Obama is not as vocal. Sad. Sad.

Anyone but in 2012.

Posted by: Roger | Nov 24, 2010 11:07:47 PM

4. This video clip needs to go viral on YouTube people. He gave so much of himself for us, this would cost you nothing but, it would show him so much. He's out there again, fighting the media circus for us, and he really doesn't have to lift a finger for anyone, anymore. This is what a hero looks and sounds like.

Posted by: Jerome | Nov 25, 2010 12:13:41 AM

5. Way back in the 70's the osi would go undercover into the gay clubs and search out anyone that looked like they were gay and in the military...gays lived in fear of being found out and discharged. This was a horrible feeling, you trusted few with your truth. It was so sad I cut my Air Force career short..Got an Honorable Discharge, Enlisted in the Army reserve for another six years total military time 11 years. There have always been Gays in the military and always will be. How sad is the country that puts more importance on who or how we Love, rather than wanting to serve our country. Don't talk to me about honor, truth or personal integrity...to hear john mc cain tell it only the straight service member has these qualities. the second class citizen, forced to hide from everything but a bullet...You have to wonder how may straight men have been saved by another gay service member...Land of the free for some...always home of the brave..always..stand your ground..live your truth...stand firm in your conviction.

Posted by: Gary | Nov 25, 2010 1:38:35 AM

6. how’s it going.. I’m not sure I always concur with everything on your site.. but I always appreciate your posts regardless. I’m sure I’ll find myself back to your blog again. This isn’t the first time a bing search has landed me here

Posted by: Nod32 | Nov 25, 2010 1:38:54 AM

7. What a great guy. I was thinking about my straight male friends, how we joke around, how relaxed we are around each other, extend mutual respect to each other, and so on. My being gay doesn't seem to be an issue.
    i'm sure it's the same in the military among the recruits. People react against the idea of homosexuality, but realize that the gay person they get to know just isn't that different from themselves.
    Fear is the issue here. And the striving for power and control.

Posted by: kodiak | Nov 25, 2010 9:49:03 AM

8. What the hell's wrong with his voice?

Posted by: nikko | Nov 25, 2010 2:09:27 PM

9. What a modest, self effacing and beyond brave American...
    This is the type of character I think of as being American;
    not the ignorance of the Sarah Palins, not the treachery of the McCains, not the hatred of the so called born again Christians.........just the loyal, dedication of regular unbiased, unbigoted, fair minded people.
    On this day, God bless Americans like you Staff Sgt.Alva.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 25, 2010 2:21:54 PM

10. Amazing story and amazing guy. Great spokesman. Haven't seen/heard of him and his story before.

...and Chris Matthews was at an HRC dinner? And admitted to it? Cool.

Chris get's it right: "your orientation"

Posted by: jon | Nov 25, 2010 10:18:25 PM

11. That's your contribution Nikko? "What the hell's wrong with his voice?" What the hell's wrong with your momma's vag for puking you out?

Posted by: D.R.H. | Nov 25, 2010 11:00:32 PM

12. That Minnie Mouse voice is awful. Obviously he is a bottom and to hear that squeal would be horrendous.

Posted by: Rick | Nov 25, 2010 11:39:50 PM

13. I have to agree, the voice is gross and scary. Chris Matthews is always speaking like he is a slobbering drunk too.

Posted by: Matt | Nov 25, 2010 11:41:19 PM

14. Eric Alva and the chipmunks is more like it. Did they speed up his voice to embarass him. It can't be natural.

Posted by: Johnnie | Nov 25, 2010 11:43:53 PM

15. I can't believe you impoverished souls who make fun of someone's voice. As a survivor of throat and mouth cancer who faced the possibility of never speaking again, your comments bring to mind the axiom of Karma, "Everything you do comes back to you."

Posted by: stick | Nov 26, 2010 12:26:23 AM

16. LIKE he is a slobbering drunk? LOL!

Posted by: TANK | Nov 26, 2010 12:58:47 AM

17. Not every "manly man" has a deep voice, guys. I've known some truly tough s.o.b.s with meek and mild voices. Especially from the MidWest and the South. He sounds fine to me.

Posted by: JT | Nov 26, 2010 1:06:09 AM

18. Wow, the comments ! Get over yourselves, you prissy Aunt Marys.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Nov 26, 2010 3:06:04 AM

19. This guy is an idiot. As a fellow vet myself who has met this guy in person, he is a giant douchebag and surely thr DADT movement can do better.

Posted by: Tank | Nov 26, 2010 6:13:31 AM

20. After Dan Choi's comments about pussies and monthly bleeding, I'm hoping that this dude becomes the face of DADT repeal.

Plus...

He's hot.

Posted by: Rin | Nov 26, 2010 9:10:29 AM

21. Get your high pitched voice on. This loser has some definite life issues.

Posted by: Craig | Nov 26, 2010 10:59:05 AM

22. Had a thought and now a question??? Was John McCain ever in actual combat; or did he just fly an airplane and stay way above the conflict????

Posted by: PeterC | Nov 26, 2010 4:25:27 PM

23. Never heard Sgt. Alva speak, he sounds like he has vocal cord damage. Wouldn't even call it high pitched, more almost mechanical-like.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 26, 2010 5:01:27 PM

24. PETERC,

McCain was / is a pilot. He did what pilots do, fly aircraft. He flew aircraft in war zones, so yes he saw combat and was an active part of it. He was captured, interrogated, tortured and imprisoned for 5 years in a POW camp.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 26, 2010 5:05:55 PM

25. "This guy is an idiot. As a fellow vet myself who has met this guy in person, he is a giant douchebag and surely thr DADT movement can do better."

Didn't write. Hey, asshole, stalk someone else.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 26, 2010 5:07:50 PM