Bullying | News

Watch: Pixar's 'It Gets Better' Video

Pixar

This was everywhere yesterday but I didn't get a chance to post it. It's one of the best.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Wow! Tears streaming. I'm 45, and I've had some tough times -- but they're right, you know.

Posted by: Steve Scarborough | Nov 24, 2010 9:15:02 AM

2. Oh, that was a great one (I am sitting here red-eyed and sniffling). I was secretly hoping for maybe Sully and Mike to make an appearance, but alas.

Posted by: naughtylola | Nov 24, 2010 9:21:07 AM

3. Love this!!! I'll share it with everyone.

Posted by: Bobby | Nov 24, 2010 9:48:26 AM

4. I have a lesbian friend that works there and I was hoping she'd make an appearance too! She's one of the best people I know and she was the first person I came out to.

Posted by: princely54 | Nov 24, 2010 10:08:55 AM

5. I am so honored that I work in partnership with this amazing company. What a beautiful message of hope that it really does get better. I'm living proof of that!

Posted by: Scott | Nov 24, 2010 10:34:48 AM

6. Wow. Thanks, Andy.

I hadn't seen this anywhere else, so I'm grateful that you posted it.

Posted by: Jeff | Nov 24, 2010 10:53:46 AM

7. This is wonderful. Thank you folks at Pixar!

Posted by: Jim | Nov 24, 2010 10:58:17 AM

8. Awwwww.....I really didn't need to tear up at work, but this is really nice, very reassuring!

Posted by: Steve | Nov 24, 2010 11:15:41 AM

9. Thank you for posting this, Andy.

Posted by: Zaihan Kariyani | Nov 24, 2010 11:45:45 AM

10. fuck, crying. thanks pixar buds!

Posted by: David Christopher | Nov 24, 2010 2:38:05 PM

11. I wipe the tears from my eyes, so very grateful that we are living in a time when there is this beautiful public effort to give support to gay and lesbian young people.

I'm 61 and I found this video (and all the others of this wonderful campaign) so inspiring. Even though the severe bullying I experienced happened 50 or so years ago (and continued for many years after), the feelings of hurt, rejection, fear, shame and alienation sometimes are as fresh in my memory as if they happened yesterday.

Not that I dwell on those things (I've worked through them as I hope most of us have been able to do), but I watch this video and wonder how different my life might have been if there was this collective message that "it gets better".

This is not to say that I would have become a brilliant brain surgeon or anything like that, but to have access to the knowledge that there are others who are just like me and are living happy, productive, loving, SANE lives would have dispelled much of the gloom and darkness that enveloped me through much of my adolescence.

God bless everyone last person who has contributed to this campaign, especially Dan Savage, who initiated it.

Posted by: mikej | Nov 24, 2010 2:58:45 PM

12. What! No animation?! I want to see hi-def 3D animated same-sex love! I want desk lamps kissing! C'mon, you guys, give us the REAL Pixar video!

Posted by: lewlew | Nov 24, 2010 3:39:55 PM

13. This is phenomenally good! I am so happy it was made. Thank you Pixar!!

Posted by: Uluwehi | Nov 24, 2010 4:33:06 PM

14. I would love to work for a company that would make this video. Very inspiring.

Posted by: John | Nov 25, 2010 2:39:39 AM

15. Can you name a single Pixar film that's had a gay character? No? Fuck you Pixar. Enjoy the positive attention for supporting a cause you have done nothing but ignore for your entire existence.

Posted by: s parker | Nov 25, 2010 3:30:59 AM

16. dear S Parker, you may not realize but you are part of the problem, making everything more gay is not the solution, as for "gay" characters?...what do you want hardcore behind the scenes pixel on pixel action...i can barley think of any interactions in all of the pixar films besides Up that focused on hetero relationships, Chad car on car action thats homosexual technically...you see how absurd this type of narrow thinking gets...stop being absurd, pixar is in the movies business and "Toy Story 4 now with more Gay" isn't going to make them more money regardless of the current social climate...its just absurd that gaying it up makes it better, in fact its makes some things worse, like Glee, very gay and sorry to say a terribly mediocre program that makes my gag reflex kick in, any message just gets lost in fluff

Posted by: epic | Nov 25, 2010 6:21:26 PM

17. Chad = Cars, seeing gaying it up can have some terrible consequences

Posted by: epic | Nov 25, 2010 6:22:56 PM

18. epic, even if any of that crap was relevant to what i said, how would advocating for that make me part of the problem? think about it for a bit, okay? it might make me an idiot for wanting to make everything gay-centric, but you clearly need some help recognizing that not helping is different than hurting.

but that's not really what i said, is it? what should be apparent to anyone reading that comment, and anyone with half a brain who thinks about the company in question, is that pixar films exist in that magical disney channel world where gay people don't exist. they always have. there are always overt heterosexual themes, little romances between cars or animals or toys, but always with clearly defined male-female genders.

what kind of idiot would advocate for sex in children's movies? what we're talking about here is the narrative. there has never been a single story or property from this company that has ever supported anything but straight love stories, and it is laughable for them to claim that their message is inclusive. it's fantastic that they treat their gay employees well. but the children of those employees deserve better than what that company produces.

Posted by: s parker | Nov 25, 2010 8:53:04 PM

19. S Parker, are all these gay people hypocrites for working for Pixar and making the video because the content that they work on is heterosexual?

Can't we say "fuck Pixar, make something that's more inclusive" without shitting on these individuals, and ignoring the fact that they are living their dreams, and speaking from a place that potentially resonates with their target audience (which is not me, and probably not you either)?

Posted by: MammaB | Nov 27, 2010 12:28:54 AM

20. Who's shitting on these gay employees? That's ridiculous. Everyone has to make a living, and the company has had a great history of quality filmmaking. Like I said, I'm all for this or any company to make further strides toward inclusion and equality. But at this point in its history, Pixar is being disingenuous by saying one thing and doing another. The video is called "Love, Pixar," not "love, Pixar employees." It's the same deal as the major politicians who are making these videos but don't fully support gay rights. They are jumping on the bandwagon. You know, I bet Pixar as a company does actually believe in this message. If these great people are any indication, it is a really fantastic place to work. But it does not change the truth that nothing the company has ever produced, or has announced they will produce, has done anything to provide comfort or inclusion for gay kids. Until it does, fuck Pixar.

Posted by: s parker | Nov 28, 2010 10:01:05 PM

21. Who's shitting on these gay employees? That's ridiculous. Everyone has to make a living, and the company has had a great history of quality filmmaking. Like I said, I'm all for this or any company to make further strides toward inclusion and equality. But at this point in its history, Pixar is being disingenuous by saying one thing and doing another. The video is called "Love, Pixar," not "love, Pixar employees." It's the same deal as the major politicians who are making these videos but don't fully support gay rights. They are jumping on the bandwagon. You know, I bet Pixar as a company does actually believe in this message. If these great people are any indication, it is a really fantastic place to work. But it does not change the truth that nothing the company has ever produced, or has announced they will produce, has done anything to provide comfort or inclusion for gay kids.

Posted by: s parker | Nov 28, 2010 10:02:05 PM