Food and Drink | News | Rachel Maddow

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Rachel Maddow Mixes Drinks

Maddow

Accomplished mixologist and MSNBC host Rachel Maddow demonstrates the fine art of making an Old Fashioned, a Sidecar, a Jack Rose, and a Champagne cocktail.

Not new, but something you might use this holiday season.

(Via Metafilter)

Comments

1. Still don't understand why people water down their alcohol with mixers and water.

Gimme a shot of Jack and a MGD back.

Posted by: Joe B. | Nov 29, 2010 1:22:52 PM

2. Well, here's the thing; people water down their alcohol with mixers and water because those are the drinks they enjoy.

Posted by: Andrew | Nov 29, 2010 1:47:38 PM

3. These videos make me want nothing more than a well mixed drink and and a conversation with Ms. Maddow herself. I didn't think my opinion on her could get any higher.

Posted by: VitaminKorg | Nov 29, 2010 2:17:20 PM

4. I am with David Letterman -- how did MSNBC let a 12-year old boy mix drinks on-air? After all that pot smoking on-air!

@JOE B -- I am holding a seat for you in my 12-step program!

Posted by: David B. 2 | Nov 29, 2010 2:29:33 PM

5. Joe B - Both of those sound disgusting. I think I'd rather drink piss. I'll take a Sailor Jerry and Coke and a Anchor Steam.

Posted by: ScottyN | Nov 29, 2010 2:40:17 PM

6. These drinks are for people who don't enjoy the taste of alcohol. Ya know, people who drink to get drunk. That's the whole purpose of mixed drinks--disguise the flavor of the alcohol. Bourbon and scotch, neat.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 29, 2010 2:55:11 PM

7. and honestly, what kinda fucking hipster orders a sidecar or an old fashioned? What about a rusty nail, gin rickey, or a harvey wallbanger? LMAO! Douchey hipster bar power: ACTIVATE! You'll have a miller lite and like it, ironic t-shirt elvis costello glasses wearing sumbitch!

Posted by: TANK | Nov 29, 2010 3:12:04 PM

8. Yeah! @TANK - keep going with this logic!! 'cause when you really think about it, that oaky flavor in Scotch and Bourbon is just there to cover up the sweet, delicious taste of pure alcohol. Mmmm.

And don't get me started on Gin. I mean, JUNIPER BERRIES, wtf?!

100% grain alcohol all the way. Anything else is inauthentic.

Posted by: thisisdumb | Nov 29, 2010 3:47:52 PM

9. Single malt, one nice big ice cube. Cigar, that's the thing. Maybe a little good bar-food beforehand.

Posted by: SeriouslySick | Nov 29, 2010 3:57:40 PM

10. No one asked ya! Mixed drinks like those featured involving spirits came about to entice those who wouldn't normally drink to do so (increase saturation via inebriation), by hiding the flavor of, say, bathtub gin (during prohibition when alcohol was foul tasting due to its slipshod, shady, and fast production)...and move cheap nasty tasting booze... There's a significant difference between hooch that gets its flavor through its manufacture and substrate (scotch, bourbon, beer, wine) and mixed drinks which don't. But hey, if everclear is your poison, you have more problems than being obtuse with which to contend.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 29, 2010 4:06:10 PM

11. "...one champagne cocktail, I thought only hookers drank those?"
    "Well, I know mom sure likes 'em."
    LMAO!

Posted by: Coco Vonloco | Nov 29, 2010 4:31:30 PM

12. I appreciate a good side car. But yeah, I hate the taste of booze. Too bad all the yummy stuff they put in to make drinks palatable is what makes cocktails so fattening. Guess I should just stick to cocks. Fat ones at that.

Posted by: Zlick | Nov 29, 2010 4:47:43 PM

13. @SCOTTYN What's wrong with piss?

Posted by: Nanny McBone | Nov 29, 2010 9:07:09 PM