Barack Obama | News | Rachel Maddow | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Watch:
Rachel Maddow on the GOP's 'Scare White People' Closing Argument

Maddow

Rachel Maddow breaks down a late-breaking 25-minute ad from the GOP airing in swing states, intended to scare white voters by returning to the Obama is a "secret Muslim plant" and "socialist Commie terrorist" conspiracy theories.

"Son't forget — he's Black, and he's coming to get you."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Please join us here at Towleroad at 6:30 pm for an election night liveblog where we'll be reporting and discussing results from races around the country.

Comments

1. How is Maddow and those like her mocking 'White' people and implying the 'Teabaggers' are a bunch of scary Nazi Fascist out to get gays, women, and 'Minorities' any different from the Republicans using Obama as a foil?

On a side note, Maddow and others like her do realize most Americans are white, heterosexual and don't live in NYC, L.A., D.C., Chicago, S.F., Boston, etc.,? By mocking and ridiculing the majority population, how exactly does she think this will win friends, influence people, and win elections? Am I missing something? Nobody...gays, bisexuals, straights, men, women, whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians, Christians, Jews, Democrats, Republicans, Independents, Muslims, Atheists, Americans, Europeans, etc., appreciates being talked down to and mocked.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 2, 2010 9:00:57 AM

2. @Ratbastard: (An apt nomeclature)Maddow wasn't mocking White people, she was obviously mocking racist Teabagger/Republicans. You're an idiot.

Posted by: tooboot | Nov 2, 2010 9:18:28 AM

3. Most people don't read newspapers these days, which is a pity; the Oregonian had a knockout political cartoon yesterday with Lady Liberty in a shower a la Janet Leigh, and behind the shower curtain a shadowy, looming figure--with a 3-cornered hat and tea bags hanging off of it. As a huge "Psycho" fan I laughed for about 10 minutes--because it's not just funny, it's one of the most vicious critiques of the Tea Party I've seen yet.

Folks can be lukewarm on Obama and the Dems, but the extremist positions of many Republicans and Tea Partiers should leave most people at sub-Arctic temperatures.

Posted by: Dback | Nov 2, 2010 9:23:13 AM

4. Lol Rat, not only do you never bother to comment but you barely make a stink when people are beaten or killed because of race (insert darker ones) or because they are poor (insert darker poors) or all the above and gay (insert x amount gay poor ethnics who have been gay bashed)..

But look at you here!!

Completely missing the joke! Wow, I would love to know ho it feels to get a little upset because someone is making fun of how racist, judgemental and mean I am (white, christian, straight majority) instead of the daily abuse for being an ethnic minority and gay!

Do you think teabaggers lose sleep in the night of someone attacking them because they are straight and white?

Ahem. Poor Christine O'Donnel!

Posted by: Rowan | Nov 2, 2010 9:24:20 AM

5. ratbastard she was mocking the ad which if u watched it even ur KKK ass would see is a blatant bit of racist bs to scare white people

It should be mocked

Posted by: [email protected] | Nov 2, 2010 9:49:49 AM

6. Rowan:

I was born and grew up in NYC and Boston [the cities, not the suburbs].

I have never lived in a majority 'white' neighborhood.

Being American, I am of mixed ethnicity, including part Latino; does this allow me to call myself a minority?

I am non-religious, male,gay,and part Latino, which makes me a 'minority' 4 fucking times over!

...Oh yeah, I grew up 'poor', i.e. 'working-class'. So I was socio-economically 'oppressed' growing up, in addition to being a 'minority' X4.

...Have a nice day,Rowan.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 2, 2010 9:50:10 AM

7. [email protected],Rowan, TOOBOOT:

...HOW is Democratic operative / leftwing scare tactics any different than the Republican operative / rightwing variety? Does not both main ideologies and [in America] both main political parties engage in 'scare' tactics? When one mocks and ridicules the other for utilizing 'scare' tactics, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 2, 2010 9:55:38 AM

8. Yeah, ratbastard, they do, but she is mocking the Teabaggers because they are using the race of a president as their boogeyman and not his record. Liberals do not use race as a scare tactic. They most often use a person's proven lack of leadership or their political record. Name one liberal, Democrat that has used race as part of their campaign. Name one. I bet you can't.

Posted by: tooboot | Nov 2, 2010 10:14:00 AM

9. @Tooboot

Oh, you really don't want to go there; Bill Clinton and his Sister Souljah moment, is only one incident and let's not even get into what SOME black leaders said about Obama on up through the 2008 primaries.

Posted by: Chitown Kev | Nov 2, 2010 10:31:16 AM

10. Ratbastard AKA John in Boston

Posted by: Marty | Nov 2, 2010 10:47:21 AM

11. 'On a side note, Maddow and others like her do realize most Americans are white, heterosexual and don't live in NYC, L.A., D.C., Chicago, S.F., Boston, etc.,? By mocking and ridiculing the majority population, how exactly does she think this will win friends, influence people, and win elections? Am I missing something? '
    --------------------------
    RATBASTARD you are not 'missing something' you are totally clueless. First of all, white straight men who ran this country into the hole it's in, and also happen to control both Fox and the GOP, are very unhappy that they no longer are the majority.

If you add up all minorities, they by far out number them now, and in fact, your hispanic brethren will alone out number whites soon. Like anyone losing power they are scrambling to hold onto it, and using race and fear to hold on.

As for influencing or winning friends among the right wing, that was one of the biggest mistakes Obama made this last 18 months, thinking that the GOP would work with him. All they did is vote no on everything he tried to pass, including many bills that they themselves wrote, before the black man moved into the White House.

As for us gays, yes I am disappointed in the lack of real support from the democrats and Obama, but at least I don't know of any of them running on an anti-gay platform. All Maddow did was use clips of the right trashing the left, show us some of the left doing it on the same level as the right does.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 2, 2010 11:42:09 AM

12. Actually Marty...my name isn't John.

Have a nice day

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 2, 2010 11:45:44 AM

13. Whether Rachel's tactics are the same as or different than GOP tactics analyzing a Democratic ad is completely irrelevant. The point is that THIS AD is clearly an extended propaganda piece using the most basic and ridiculous race/Muslim-based scare tactics in the book, ones aimed at the loony, ignorant teabaggers. It's hard to imagine that any rational person would either buy into this nonsense or object to someone pointing it out as nonsense.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 2, 2010 11:47:04 AM

14. Sure Patty in NYC:

Just keep on telling whitey they're assholes and won't be around for much longer. Oh yeah, all the whiteys are racist, homophobic bigots also, and deserve to all die painfully...you hear that evil white males! Just die already so the 'minorities', women and gays can run shit.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 2, 2010 11:51:11 AM

15. Ernie: Once more time...they're the pot calling the kettle black. I'm not passing judgment on the validity per say of either the 'Teabagger' or Maddow's statements. Comprende senor?

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 2, 2010 11:55:27 AM

16. Patrick in NYC:

Forgot to point out:

...You do realize the financial services industry in the U.S. and elsewhere [as well as every other facet of society] is filled with non so-called white males? Plenty of females, Jews, Muslims, Agnostics, Atheist, str8s, gays, bisexuals, blacks of every ethnicity and mix, whites of every ethnicity and mix, Asians of every ethnicity and mix, 'Hispanics' of every ethnicity/race and mix, and so on.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 2, 2010 12:02:51 PM

17. wow ratbastard sure is spending a lot of time defending himself ... and his last rant about the financial services industry makes no sense whatsoever

Posted by: jerry | Nov 2, 2010 12:09:46 PM

18. ...Yeah, Pat in NYC...that'll make 'em all cower in fear, and vote the way you want them to vote. And you call me clueless?

POSTED BY: RATBASTARD
    -----------------
    No where did I call anyone an asshole, but now that you bring it up, you are a major asshole. I also did not say all whites are racist, I happen to be white and know most are not, but the right wing tea bagger crowd is. Calling Obama a Kenyan is racist, putting a Hitler mustache on him is racist as is calling him a Muslim, the new gay for the GOP in 2010.

I never said anything about them dying, yet alone painfully. As for your calling me 'Patty', that was something my homophobic Uncle did to insult me, instead of saying faggot. Not a surprise you use it as well, since you seem far more fucked up than even he was.

In closing, I never suggested anyone should vote the way I do, especially the right wing nuts, that would make me as clueless as you.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 2, 2010 12:10:37 PM

19. "Ernie: Once more time...they're the pot calling the kettle black."

It's not that I didn't comprehend your comment; I simply believe it was beside the point. Difference. I don't think her tactic in exposing the true motives behind the ridiculous propaganda mirrors the right-wing scare tactics behind the ad. If someone else does, fine. She's exposing lies. If that's a scare-tactic, so be it, but I'm actually interested in having racist fear-mongering exposed for what it is. Content and validity matter to me.

Posted by: Ernie | Nov 2, 2010 12:32:04 PM

20. Patrick in NYC:

Forgot to point out:

POSTED BY: RATBASTARD
    --------------------
    I must have missed Maddow mentioning anything about the financial industry, or is it you just going more bat shit crazy. As for the racial make up of the richest Americans, not just those working for them, take a look at Forbes top 100.

Only 9 women, and two people of color, both Asians, the first ranked 46. I'd love to debate you more but as Barney Frank said so well, I'd rather argue with a piece of furniture. I also love my Grandmother's sister's line. 'Pay him no mind, he doesn't have one'.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 2, 2010 12:36:21 PM

21. There is only one party of HATE, the REPUBLICAN's. Re-read the Texas Republican Party Platform, look who voted for and against DADT, the Matthew Shepard Act, and the list goes on and on and on.

Posted by: CB | Nov 2, 2010 3:31:56 PM

22. wow ratbastard sure is spending a lot of time defending himself ... and his last rant about the financial services industry makes no sense whatsoever

POSTED BY: JERRY | NOV 2, 2010 12:09:46 PM

***********************

[SEE BELOW]

***********************

Patrick NYC said:

'...First of all, white straight men who ran this country into the hole...'

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 2, 2010 5:23:23 PM

23. Patrick:

Banks, Accounting firms, and other financial services firms have plenty of non-male, non-white employees. I work in this industry and spend considerable time in the belly of the beast, NY. Believe me, Wall St celebrates diversity.

And you are aware the wealthiest individual in the world is a 'Minority' , i.e. 'Hispanic'?

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 2, 2010 5:33:53 PM

24. Once again douche bag, you pick and choose what you will try and defend. You said that I called all 'whitey's assholes' and they should die painful deaths, I did not. You also claim I was telling people how to vote, I never did.

As for me mentioning that the rich right wing GOP, those who did get us into this financial mess under Bush that he dumped on Obama, that is not the only 'hole' they put us in. They also are responsible for the level of hate in the public discourse that Jon Stewart pointed out this past weekend. I recall all too clearly the early Tea Bag events, the hate spitting out of these people was unbelievable.

I know that many financial firms have minorities working for them, but as I pointed out, and you did not respond to, the top 100 heads of these firms are largely white men. They are the ones in power, even in the Obama administration, but more so under the GOP.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Nov 2, 2010 6:14:47 PM