News | Seattle | Transportation | weather

Watch: Snow and Cars on Slick Seattle Hills Don't Mix

Seattle

Two of the more gripping videos from Seattle's recent ice storm, AFTER THE JUMP...

Everyone travel safely this holiday weekend.

Epic bus moment comes at around 3:00 in the video above.

Comments

1. That's some serious schadenfreude.

Posted by: rob | Nov 24, 2010 9:52:34 AM

2. @Rob, indeed it is. Born & raised here and evrytime it snows, this is the result. I like to sit in Six Arms on the little hill/corner of Pike & Minor on Cap Hill, drink beer & watch the fun!

Posted by: Kenn I | Nov 24, 2010 9:59:03 AM

3. Born and raised in Seattle and this is why I moved to Palm Springs !

Posted by: axperron | Nov 24, 2010 10:05:27 AM

4. People are so stupid. If the weather is bad, just stay in. Even if you are a good driver, stay in. From this video, there are obviously a lot of idiots on the road.

Posted by: TonsofT | Nov 24, 2010 10:07:16 AM

5. 'Just stay in...' is nice advice and all, but the forecast called for an inch or two and for it to not stick around long, but they got four inches and the temps plummeted keeping it on the ground and freezing the slush. Also it hit mid-afternoon after most folks had already gone to work and were just trying to get home. Given the rarity of snow here it is no surprise most folks aren't prepared for it.

Posted by: mike | Nov 24, 2010 10:50:35 AM

6. It hardly snowed half as much here in Portland but most people had CHAINS on their tires. Even the buses. Silly Seattle.

Posted by: Lance | Nov 24, 2010 12:16:39 PM

7. People need to be careful out there in the cold. In Portland, a beautiful young gay man whom I had the pleasure of befriending was found frozen to death in a fountain.

The cold can be deceptive, please everyone be careful.

Posted by: pdxmo | Nov 24, 2010 12:16:47 PM

8. I was in something like this on a flat road where about 7 cars in front of me started colliding after everyone skidded on an invisible (literally- you could not see that shit) ice patch in broad daylight. My crap-for-winter RWD car stopped only because I pulsed the pedal 100s of feet before the crash site. To this day, I follow the advice of STAY HOME if the weather includes falling snow/sleet.

Posted by: Drew | Nov 24, 2010 12:22:34 PM

9. Let me add after watching [the 2nd video in particular], that these people are gross. They're literally waiting for someone to lose control of their car and get hurt instead of warning them or blocking the street with garbage cans, etc. Fuck them.

Posted by: Drew | Nov 24, 2010 1:22:18 PM

10. @ DREW: this hill (the Queen Anne Counterbalance) is NOTORIOUSLY difficult in the ice and snow. It's very long and steep. Anyone who attempts to drive up it deserves what they get.

Posted by: David R. | Nov 24, 2010 2:15:53 PM

11. "... and we have another one... "

Back before the video camera, people who lived on steep hills would go out and stop people from trying to climb icy roads.

Posted by: BobN | Nov 24, 2010 2:38:29 PM

12. My favorite West Coast snowmageddon drivers are SUVs especially with 4-wheel drive as they are the most likely to be in the ditch. Lots of traction going up hills but skid like a tank when they try to brake going downhill.

Schadenfreude is great but wait for the weekend when the temp goes back up to 50+...

Posted by: Hue-Man | Nov 24, 2010 2:41:17 PM

13. Good grief...I grew up in NYC and Boston; we have hills, it snows more than Seattle, black ice is more common and happens with greater frequency, it get's colder for more extended periods of time. Here in Boston where I live today, 24-48 hrs after a major snow-storm [foot or more] main streets are almost universally cleared, most side streets, and generally within a week much of the snow is gone. The biggest problem is disposing of the snow picked up off the streets. When I was a kid, it was dumped in the harbor / Massachusetts Bay here in Boston, now environmental issues prevent this. When I was a kid, my dad would drive down to the nearest beach and fill buckets with sand, to coat icy side walks with; not supposed to do that now either. Ridiculous.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 24, 2010 3:24:39 PM

14. pdxmo:

...Very sad about Michael Ellis. Says he lived with his dad, wonder what he doing wondering around in extreme cold. Maybe his dad kicked him out or they had a fight or something. Here in Boston we have a lot of homeless and semi-homeless teens, young adults who come to Boston from all over New England. We try to get them safe shelter especially when the temp drops, but it can be a struggle. Many have substance abuse issues, prefer to squat and whatever. I always think about the homeless and those less fortunate this time of year especially.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 24, 2010 3:39:51 PM

15. Mike Ellis lived in a 2,100 square foot, 7 bedroom house on SE Long St in Portland. There's a pool in the backyard, for pete's sake. He wasn't a transient. But thank you for jumping to conclusions.
    Posted by Aaron W on November 23, 2010 at 5:58 PM

*http://blogtown.portlandmercury.com/BlogtownPDX/archives/2010/11/23/22-year-old-froze-to-death-in-waterfront-park

***************************

Mr. Ellis was far from homeless.

Posted by: ratbastard | Nov 24, 2010 3:52:36 PM

16. need to get some snow tires. LOL! That's not winter! Nuh ah. That is a tragic story, pdxmo. Cold can be deceptive, but shock probably explained the "deception". I fell through some rotted boards on a pier trying to retrieve my dog once in january. Right into the ocean, sinking down. If I weren't such a mean son of a bitch, I don't think I would have survived that one--as no one else was around and it was pitch black. The trick is to turn the shock into rage and feel the pain...a much more useful emotion in such a situation.

Posted by: TANK | Nov 24, 2010 7:50:51 PM

17. I thought Seattle was the bastion of the leftist educated elite. Looks like a bunch of morons! Come to the midwest so we can educate you losers can how to drive in snow and ice!

Posted by: Tevor | Nov 27, 2010 3:06:33 PM