Comments

1. Joe says

I wonder if Reid did the whole “if we have time thing” to throw DeMint and other obstructionist off the scent that the vote was scheduled to keep them from trying to add amendments or mess with the process.

Or, all of the hardworking activist were able to successfully force him to push the vote up.

Either way, I’m happy. It’s important that the senate vote on this and have it pass. It will send a loud and clear message. And even if McCain filibusters, he’s old and we know he doesn’t have Sanders strength.

2. mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com says

oh sh@t

I’ll eat my words. My cynicism thought he wouldn’t hold a vote in time

3. secure214 says

NOW is the time to call your 2 Senator’s and ask them to support the REPEAL of DADT.

Just Do It.

Even if you have Republican Senators representing you.

4. jsb says

Merry Christmas everyone!

5. Ninong says

I wonder if Sen. Ron Wyden will delay his prostate surgery for us? He’s scheduled for surgery Monday morning for prostate cancer and didn’t plan to show up for any votes Saturday. If he can’t make it, we will need all four of the Republicans who said they support DADT repeal to keep their word.

6. princely54 says

Well as of Thursday night, the Senate has scrapped the current spending bill. Methinks this is just another reason for them to push back the vote on DADT until they have the ‘more important’ spending bill done…seriously NOT holding my breath for DADT to get done.

7. mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com says

happy holidays JSB

ninong over at dkos they have contacted Wyden’s office and he will be there for dadt vote (supposedly)

8. says

@JSB: Been there. Don’t let what’s going on around you affect your health. If you need to, just turn off the blogs and the news and just watch loads of fluff to take your mind off of all this crap.

Hang in there! ūüėČ

9. Ty says

I want to be hopeful, but I feel like the Senate has given me no reason to be hopeful that this repeal will pass. And what’s worse in all of this is – this bill is not even a total repeal! Obama and Gates and another guy have to certify the repeal somewhere in the future (when they feel we’re “ready”). I feel like it’s just being kicked down the road further and further.

10. TruthSeeker_Too says

The U.S. Senate Switch Board is (202) 224-3121.
    Call your Senators and MAKE SURE THEY are voting for cloture and for DADT repeal on Saturday.

If you live in one of the following Republican Senator’s state, it is especially important to call and ask if they are voting YES for cloture on DADT and, if they are voting for repeal. Tell them you and your friends and family vote in every election and are in favor of repeal, and you want the Republican Senator to be on the right side of history, instead of being an obstructionist.

Despite press reports, none of these Republicans are unconditionally committed to voting our way on DADT repeal.

If you don’t live in one of the states below, call friends and relatives who do live in those states and make sure they contact these Republican Senators–who hold the key to us winning this cloture vote and repeal of DADT. We MUST HAVE at least 3 Senators from the following list and all the Democrats (plus Collins) who voted with us the last time:

Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska): 202-224-6665
    Olympia Snowe (R-Maine): 202-224-5344
    Scott Brown (R-Massachusetts): 202-224-4543
    Mark Kirk (R-Illinois): 202-224-2854
    George Voinovich (R-Ohio): 202-224-3353
    Richard Lugar (R-Indiana): 202-224-4814
    Judd Gregg (R-New Hampshire): 202-224-3324
    Kit Bond (R-Missouri): 202-224-5721
    John Ensign (R-Nevada): 202-224-6244

If you live in Arkansas, call
    Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark): (202) 224-4843 and
    Mark Pryor (D-Ark.): (202) 224-2353 to make sure they are showing up for the vote on Saturday and are planning to vote YES for cloture and repeal.

If you live in West Virgina, call Traitor Joe Manchin (D-“McCain”) and tell him you and your friends and family are all voting against him in the next election unless he supports repeal.

@JSB — Please hang in there. Progress comes with set backs, but we are winning the longer battle. The vast majority of younger people are in favor of our equality and even those under 50 are moving towards us. But for the Roman Catholic Church and the Mormons, we would be well on our way towards achieving full equality. The good news is that a majority of practicing Catholics support us. It is mainly just their “leaders” who remain in the bigoted past.

11. will says

this is promising news. i’m going to watch CSPAN all day on saturday if possible.

kudos to the house for pushing this through…twice now…and getting it on the senate floor (again).

12. GaryJ says

Even the smallest minority screams loud enough can be heard, especially with votes.

To the LGBT community that has and do serve in our military, Merry Christmas!

13. FAG HATER says

>>>I want to believe this will happen, but living in California, I don’t know how much more of this roller coaster of emotions I can take. Prop 8 took alot out of me, I was depressed for days, I’m tired of feeling like a second class citizen. Living with AIDS, Hepatitus C and Diabetes, I can only hope to live long enough to see equal rights for all of us.<<<<< All of those diseases you are suffering from is becasue you are a FAGGOTT this is why we do not need you nasty gay queer ass fags in the military

14. John says

Hey Fag Hater… so if it doesn’t pass, then fewer gays will sign up for the military, and more of the ignorant bigots like you will be the ones getting their legs blown off. I suggest that, since you protest too much, YOU are a big closet case suffering from internalized homophobia. Happy holidays.

15. says

It’s about time. People, help spread the word – I don’t think many Americans realize just HOW MANY other countries allow LGBT people to serve openly, and WHICH COUNTRIES they are.

It’s very very very telling.

Spread the word. Share with family and friends. NOW.