Gay Marriage | Iowa | Terry Branstad

Iowa Governor-Elect Refuses To Comment On Ousting Of Judges

Could this be a case where the silence is deafening? Governor-elect Terry Branstad is staying mum when asked what he thinks about the news that three Republican Congressmen intend to impeach the four remaining Iowa Supreme Court judges who brought marriage equality to that state in 2009.

Radio Iowa reports:

Tb “This is a separate branch of government and I’ve got enough on my plate not to get into that one,” Branstad says. “So I don’t intend to comment on it.”

Three members of the state’s Supreme Court were ousted in November’s judicial retention election.  Critics charge the court overstepped its authority when it issued a unanimous 2009 ruling which paved the way for same-sex marriage in Iowa.

Branstad has repeatedly called on legislators to set the wheels in motion for a statewide vote on a constitutional amendment that would ban gay marriage in Iowa. As for impeachment, Branstad says that’s the legislature’s business, not his.

“The governor doesn’t have a role in that,” Branstad says. “And I’ve got many things on my plate so I have not looked into that at all.”

Articles of impeachment first must be approved by the 100-member House, then a trial must be held in the Iowa Senate, followed by a vote of two-thirds of the state senators in order to impeach a justice.

In the past, Branstad has stated that he would give the people of Iowa the chance to vote on the same-sex marriage law: "The people of Iowa are the ones that should have the final say on this. They should be given the same opportunity as 31 other states and every state from Maine to California where it’s been on the ballot, the people have voted for it."

Comments

1. Anti-Gay Vipers and the Outsider Archetype

People who identify with the LGBT community live in the shadow of the outsider archetype, whether they are or not aware of it. Even in communities where their survival is not immediately threatened from the outside.

However, the possibility of a life-threatening change remains ever-present. The treacherous activities of the religious right. Political censors. Gay basher who are penetrating the heart of metropolitan gay communities. Medical professions, which continue to foist drugs known to be toxic such as AZT and DDI to HIV positive people. Cure-happy psychologist.

All of these figures confirm the need to be wary of anti-gay vipers and their numerous forms. Such narcissism and treachery only draws out the worst in people.

I’m Layla Miller, I Know Stuff

Posted by: I'm Layla Miller I Know Stuff | Dec 29, 2010 5:32:52 PM

2. I know, let's all have the chance to vote on whether child beaters and (divorced) adulterers should be allowed to get married! What about annoying conservatives? Should they be allow to marry?

Posted by: David R. | Dec 29, 2010 6:32:55 PM

3. one step forward....six steps back.... I hope Iowans won't let that happen.

Posted by: John Normile | Dec 29, 2010 6:54:00 PM

4. Isn't mob rule great?! Tyranny of the majority! What a deal! Oh go for it, Terry! Get the pitch forks and let's just lynch 'em! That old constitution doesn't really protect everyone, just Republicans and Baptists. Says so right there in the 90th amendment, somewhere. Right?

Posted by: Craig | Dec 29, 2010 7:26:01 PM

5. And by the way, Governor! Let's vote on hate speech as a right, even though it's protected under the constitution. And guns. And let's outlaw any kind of sex that isn't missionary position. Shred the constitution completely. Vote! Vote! That's what it's all about! Will of the uninformed. Let's just do away with the courts altogether. Let's just let public opinion guide whether we throw someone in jail or not. Why let cumbersome facts get in the way of a good old fashioned lynching!

Posted by: Craig | Dec 29, 2010 7:30:03 PM

6. Craig's rants ftw.

Posted by: RedCedar | Dec 29, 2010 8:07:18 PM

7. The person in power lets the minority get attacked. Yay, Iowa.

Posted by: X | Dec 29, 2010 8:19:46 PM

8. I'm from Iowa. I married my partner last year. This is horrid. I was so proud when we given the 'right' to marry. Brandstad is a huge step back into the bible-belt.

His election is born out of the terrible flood of 2008 and the economic disasters that came from it. Curiously, it was the rural Iowans that made this possible, not the ones generally affected.

Just another thing for us to overcome.

Heres what happened to Cedar Rapids, my hometown.

Posted by: Douglas | Dec 29, 2010 10:50:46 PM

9. @I'm Layla Miller, I Know Stuff

What a hysterical shtick, I love it! Where can I get more?

Posted by: Jeremy | Dec 30, 2010 2:25:43 AM

10. A quick civics lesson. The house votes to impeach, the senate then votes to convict or not. Impeachment is only adoption of charges. It requires conviction by the senate for the judges to be removed. It is a two part process, impeachment by the house and conviction (or not)b by the senate.

Posted by: billT | Dec 30, 2010 7:14:00 AM

11. @Douglas

Thanks for sharing that video. It's pretty easy for the rest of the nation to forget the 2008 disaster in Iowa. Speaking as one of your northern neighbors, I hope things are getting better there and that no one's getting left behind.

Posted by: JDB | Dec 30, 2010 10:50:16 AM

12. Why do they want to make Iowa synonymous with idiots who hurt people in the law?

Posted by: oakley frogskins | Jul 16, 2011 3:54:08 AM