James Franco | News | Oscars

BigGayDeal.com

James Franco: Rebel with an Oscar Hosting Gig

Franco3

James Franco tells EW why he's hosting the Academy Awards:

“When [producer Bruce Cohen] asked me to host, I was very, very surprised, and my initial reaction was ‘No.’ Then I thought about it and I thought, well, why not? Because I’ll look bad? Well, I don’t care....When we finally met and discussed it in person, all my representatives were saying, ‘No! Of course not!’ So that always sparks something in me. So I said, ‘Yes, of course!’ Because that reaction that they have is based on conventional wisdom of what makes a good career. And that can be boring — really boring.”

Comments

1. One of the most distinctive personalities in American cinema. And clearly a lot of fun in bed too.

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Dec 20, 2010 1:15:26 PM

2. Love him!

Posted by: TANK | Dec 20, 2010 1:51:00 PM

3. Franco being 'gay friendly' is an understatement. One of the most original, major talents today - I look forward to him hosting with Anne Hathaway.

Posted by: Jack Scribe | Dec 20, 2010 2:04:31 PM

4. I hope he brings his personality to the show and it becomes watchable this year.
    I like James Franco so much, good looking, great personality, hot, honest etc.

Posted by: Matt26 | Dec 20, 2010 2:09:08 PM

5. "Because that reaction that they have is based on conventional wisdom of what makes a good career. And that can be boring — really boring."

Even if he wasn't so gorgeous I'd still be in love with him.

Posted by: Johnnie | Dec 20, 2010 2:12:54 PM

6. I'm a fan, though he is annoyingly busy. His artist brother Tom is gay and out; that probably helps. I imagine he will be very charming.

Posted by: lewpy | Dec 20, 2010 2:16:25 PM

7. Lewpy, the whole family is very, very open minded. I see no sparks when I see him with women but when I see him with men....

Posted by: Rowan | Dec 20, 2010 3:00:25 PM

8. It sounds like he read, "Begin with Yes!"

Posted by: Paul Boynton | Dec 20, 2010 4:10:39 PM

9. I'm still sad that Freaks and Geeks got cancelled. :(

I'm happy, though, that James Franco has become so amazing.

Posted by: Randy | Dec 20, 2010 4:17:43 PM

10. To host the Oscars the same night that you win one. Has that ever been done before?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 20, 2010 4:41:34 PM