Discrimination | Law Enforcement | Missouri | News

Missouri Names Highway After Late Gay Trooper But Continues to Shaft His Partner of 15 Years

I've posted about Missouri Highway Patrol trooper Dennis Engelhard, and his partner's fight for survivor benefits following Engelhard's death on Christmas Day last year.

Engelhard FOX St. Louis reported at the time

"Kelly Glossip says he and Engelhard were together for nearly 15 years. Yet, he says he's being ignored when it comes to the agencies who normally reach out to the families of fallen law enforcement officers. 'He was my true love and he always referred to me as his one and only true love and the man of his dreams,' Glossip said. ... Engelhard was killed on Christmas day while waiting with the driver of a disabled car for a tow truck. He got out of his vehicle and was hit by a passing SUV. It happened on Interstate 44 in Eureka. Glossip now feels he's been left out in the cold when it comes to financial benefits normally paid to the families of officers killed in the line of duty. He says he has not been contacted by any of the groups that normally offer those benefits..."

Well, Glossip still hasn't seen any benefits but today a stretch of Interstate 44 in Franklin County will be dedicated today to Engelhard.

Writes the Riverfront Times: "So, in light of today's highway dedication, let's get this straight: Missouri considers Engelhard enough of a hero to name a road after him while continuing to deny his loved ones their rightful benefits because we do not approve of his sexuality?"

Yup.

Comments

1. I am really ashamed of my home state!!!

Posted by: Leesa Nixon | Dec 20, 2010 1:51:38 PM

2. It's so sad that this trooper lost his life in the line of duty, yet his partner of 15 years gets shafted like this. This is just another example of why LGBT people absolutely NEED federal recognition of their relationships; my heart goes out to Kelly Glossip!

Posted by: Frederick | Dec 20, 2010 2:05:43 PM

3. This raises an important and timely question: why would any rational person sign up to defend a country that does not recognize or treat you as an equal human being?

LGBT people should refuse to enlist and, if enlisted, refuse to deploy.

No Iraqi or Afghani has ever called me a faggot.

If you say that I need to defend our freedom and our way of live, isn't my enemy in Washington, DC and not in Afghanistan or Iran?

If we truly want to help the gay people of Iran, wouldn't waging war on that country make things worse for them, just like it made things worse for gay Iraqis?

Posted by: Sodomize a Democrat for Jesus | Dec 20, 2010 2:08:43 PM

4. The Times almost has it right. It should read "... because we do not approve of the way he was born".

Posted by: justme | Dec 20, 2010 3:37:39 PM

5. that made me cry. it put into perspective how many people don't get those rights and have nothing but financial ruin to show for the life they made with their spouse. just in time for the world to get around the shame of same sex partners you're gonna have to go live with a relative or something cause you cant afford to live your life out with dignity. ugh so sad.

Posted by: mike | Dec 20, 2010 3:57:03 PM

6. "sodomize a democrat for jesus" first off nice name, bolder than my name which is.. my name. second what the hell are you even doing here? this was about something completely different.

Posted by: mike | Dec 20, 2010 3:59:38 PM

7. Was he at least named as trooper Englehard's life insurance beneficiary? Is he estate executor?

What a tragic freak accident.

Posted by: ratbastard | Dec 20, 2010 4:57:06 PM

8. Is there a way that we can start a fund for Mr. Glossip? Or reach out to him in some other way? Even if the "normal" agencies won't do anything, I've learned that the gay community can pull together to do what others will not (i.e. - see "AIDS crisis, circa 1980's).

If I can do anything for this poor man, let me know. I've lost 2 husbands and it's never easy, especially when your loss is not recognized.

Posted by: Koder Kev | Dec 21, 2010 3:02:20 PM