News: 2010, Julian Assange, Macedonia, Snooki, Hottest Brazilian

Road NOM fails to file 2009 federal tax returns.

RoadNYT: Drag queens, DJs, and performance artists offer New Years Eve advice.

Julian_assange RoadChristmas with Wikleaks founder Julian Assange.

RoadWATCH: A real stick-up.

RoadWhite House photographer Pete Souza: the year in photos.

RoadQueens College Gay-Straight Alliance hit by homophobic vandals: "The slurs — fag, dike, dyke and tranny — were written, painted, and hole-punched into different works of art the club had completed. Club president Deborah Lolai has said she was devastated that someone could have done this."

RoadInside Take That's private Barbados party.

RoadAn ABBA reunion in 2011?

RoadQuestionable Ghanaian study: 1% are gay.

RoadDavid Mixner on the aging LGBT population: "The few gay men that are still alive after the AIDS onslaught have few or no peers to share their senior years since the disease wiped out so many of their friends. Like it or not, what remains from the pandemic is an epidemic of loneliness among our seniors."

Snooki RoadSnooki NYE ball drop moves to Jersey shore.

RoadMan strips to underwear at Richmond Airport in TSA protest.

RoadJane Lynch promises crazy Sue Sylvester for Super Bowl: "I have a hissy fit the likes of which no one has seen before, where I try to destroy the locker room and principal’s office. I try to shoot one of my cheerleaders from a cannon.”

RoadArjan's top 25 songs of 2010.

RoadMBE: Gay footballer Aslie Pitter gets royal British honor. "Being black and being gay I thought I might come in for a lot of stick. In our first game we were sharing a communal shower with seven other teams and I was pretty nervous. But it has never really been a problem."

RoadGay Lords Hotel opens in Miami. Gallery.

RoadMacedonian faiths unite against same-sex marriage: "The heads of the five dominant religions in Macedonia want the constitution changed to define marriage strictly as a union of one man and one woman and to prevent same-sex couples and single parents from adopting children."

Verdelho RoadMateus Verdelho: Hottest Brazilian of 2010.

RoadThe new Four Loko?

RoadElton John explains why he named his son Zachary.

RoadHate crime numbers up in New York: "Racism and homophobia in 2010, as it was in 2009, and as it was 10 years ago or 20 years ago, is still real."

RoadBaby girl becomes first child registered to gay couple in Argentina, in Latin America first.

RoadAustralian court: gay bar must stop discriminating against straight people.

RoadBorn that way: Wingnuttiness. "A study to be published next year at University College London suggests that conservative brains are structured differently than the brains of other people...Specifically, the research shows that people with conservative tendencies have a larger amygdala and a smaller anterior cingulate than other people. The amygdala—typically thought of as the 'primitive brain'—is responsible for reflexive impulses, like fear. The anterior cingulate is thought to be responsible for courage and optimism. This one-two punch could be responsible for many of the anecdotal claims that conservatives 'think differently' from others."

Comments

1. Well the right has certainly been wingnutty this year and amped up their fear mongering ten fold.

Posted by: cd | Dec 31, 2010 1:30:52 PM

2. Oh please. Trying to pick the hottest Brazilian is like trying to pick the shiniest penny in a wishing well.

Wow, I really pity Julian Assange.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 31, 2010 1:45:30 PM

3. Julian Assange: TERMITE

Posted by: ophu | Dec 31, 2010 1:51:16 PM

4. To cross-pollinate from today’s stories, how about getting WikiLeaks after NOM’s tax records?

Posted by: ichabod | Dec 31, 2010 3:01:57 PM

5. OMFG! ABBA reuniting????? That would be the best thing ever! Frida forever! I'm 41, but I am reduced to a gushing 14-year-old girl at the thought. That would be one of the biggest reunions in music history, maybe the biggest as the Beatles never did. That is huge news!

Posted by: GraphicJack | Dec 31, 2010 3:12:22 PM

6. Checking Gay Lords Hotel's gallery -- is that the best looking guys Miami has to offer?

Bleargh. I'll stick with NYC.

R-

Posted by: the one and only ridor | Dec 31, 2010 3:40:37 PM

7. I admire Dave Mixner, but dispute his assertion that there are so "few gay men" who survived the AIDS 'onslaught". That's true concerning the places where he and many of the politically active gays have lived--SF, NYC, Chicago, etc. But there are plenty of us whose lives on the outskirts of Hot Gaydom were conducted in ways that spared us. That is not to say that places like Toledo and Omaha don't bear scars from too many sweet and beloved men dead long before they should have been. It's a matter of perspective that reveals how location is as much a factor in gay survival and political/social awareness as it is in real estate.
    That said, the deletion of older men (and, I suppose, women) from the consciousness of younger queers is something that impoverishes both old and young. it's heartening to know that some folks are concerned about this divide, and some are even doing something about it. I'm 63 and finding myself more and more comfortable sexually as well as socially with men my age and older. But I have things to offer younger men in terms of experience and knowledge, and they have energy and insights that I need. The heteronormative exploitation of youthfulness at the expense of humanness is pernicious at base, and magnified among people who at least in theory ought to be more liberated and freer.

Posted by: CoMo'mo | Dec 31, 2010 4:00:23 PM

8. While visiting the Names Project in Washington, D.C., I stood on the knoll between the Viet Nam Memorial and the Mall (where the quilt was laid out). I remember thinking how unfair it was that my generation had to suffer through both. This New Year's Eve I will think about how many gay men my age I knew in 1980 and how many gay men my age I know today. It's true, there are not many of us left and I do feel lonely. I miss them. When I remember all the things we did, I realize we probably won't ever get the credit we are due. But honey, I sure enjoyed the ride!

Posted by: Brad | Dec 31, 2010 5:03:25 PM

9. Hopefully NOM with get caught out and be proscuted to the full extent of the law and lose their "charity" status.

Posted by: Stephen | Dec 31, 2010 6:10:45 PM

10. Julian is a good guy Happy Xmas

Posted by: Stephen | Dec 31, 2010 6:11:22 PM

11. I informed HRC of this violation way back in November. I posted it on their much-ballyhooed site "NOM exposed", which was supposedly one of their few accomplishments of 2010. Needless to say, the information was ignored and HRC seems to have been silent about this for 2 1/2 months.

Posted by: John S. | Dec 31, 2010 6:54:22 PM

12. Verdelho is F*CKING HOT!!! But I find MadeinBrazil way too lily white for the actual diversity that make up this country's hotness factor.

Posted by: craig | Dec 31, 2010 7:27:57 PM

13. So Made in Brazil's "Hottest Brazilian of 2010" has not a drop of melanin in site. Gee, what a surprise. Barf.

Posted by: RW | Dec 31, 2010 8:09:45 PM

14. 1% of Ghana is Gay?! Nope, only 1% is comfortable/brave enough declaring their GLBT status in such a massively homophobic country...

Posted by: wirrrn | Dec 31, 2010 10:35:13 PM

15. The Hottest Brazilian of 2010 is currently sporting the dumbest hair in the history of the known universe. Just my opinion.

I prefer the old Mateus:

Posted by: BrooksNYC | Dec 31, 2010 11:42:34 PM

16. That guy's practically a kid.

To me, men aren't really at their best until they're around thirty or so and have gained some perspective.

Just IMHO.

Posted by: ophu | Jan 1, 2011 1:25:48 AM

17. Just when you thought he could be any bigger of a deutsche, he puts on a red, fur-lined robe and rubber boots. Give him a confederate flag and he'd fit right in with a southern republicans.

I never would have thought I'd pity politians after hearing/telling a joke.

Posted by: Garst | Jan 1, 2011 2:38:40 AM

18. @Craig and @RW, Bundchen, Alessandra Ambrosio, Isabeli Fontana, Izabel Goulart, Carol Trentini and many many others Brazilian models are not exactly latinas.

Posted by: Syrax | Jan 1, 2011 7:37:57 AM

19. I love the 2010 brazilian. For once, the "best looking man" doesn't have to look like a gym-addicted thug...

Posted by: Charles | Jan 1, 2011 7:42:54 AM

20. @Charles: He doesn't look gym-addicted? Are you kidding? He's about as built as a model can be; if models get too big, clothes don't look right on them (not that modeling clothes seems like a big thing for him).

He also doesn't have an ounce of fat and is quite cut. He obviously works out quite a bit or is somehow even more genetically blessed than many Brazilians.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 1, 2011 6:03:20 PM

21. @SYRAX : What are you trying to say really? What actually is your definition of latin? The thing is, Brazil is a very, very diverse lusophone country and whatever individuals look like, it doesn't necessarily fully represent their heritage. My concerns is that with all that diversity, why are most of their exports come more then often in one shade.

Posted by: craig | Jan 2, 2011 1:27:40 PM

22. Newsweek is a sad joke. Not surprising it did the damage-control 'Christmas with Julian' photo essay.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 2, 2011 3:47:06 PM

23. One of neighbors is Brazilian. Boston and Massachusetts has A LOT of Brazilians. He is blond [and I mean blond] pale, and blue eyed. He is 100% Brazilian, frequently wears his Brazilian flag t shirt. He is 'Latin' American. Brazil is very diverse, like the U.S. I've also noticed some people have a stereotypical view [or fetish] for Latinos or Hispanics, including Brazilians. They think all Latinos and Brazilians look tanned, dark, etc., And of course those with 'White' European features are favored. Brazil has A LOT of blak people also. 9 out of 10 African slaves brought to the new world went to Brazil.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 2, 2011 3:56:14 PM

24. To anyone who cares, the anterior cingulate is NOT "responsible for courage and optimism." It does seem to play a role in error-detection and conflict-monitoring.

The link between the amygdala and fear response is beyond question, however.

Posted by: le_sacre | Jan 3, 2011 12:01:42 AM