Books | News | Robert Mapplethorpe

Watch: Rocker Patti Smith Reflects on Winning Memoir 'Just Kids', Life with Robert Mappethorpe

Pattismith

Rocker Patti Smith was interviewed this week on PBS Newshour about Just Kids, her memoir about artist Robert Mapplethorpe and their life together in NYC in the 60's, which just won the National Book Award. I'm about halfway through the book, which is deeply engaging, and particularly interesting for anyone who loves New York, the late 60's and early 70's, art and artists, or stories about deep friendship.

Watch the interview, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Very sweet.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 30, 2010 5:57:38 PM

2. Wow. Your ads have recently become about a billion times more annoying.

Vulgar, flashy pop-ups in bright primary colors that you have to click to close. Gross! Find a better way to raise money.

Posted by: db | Dec 30, 2010 5:58:45 PM

3. love her

Posted by: AlexM | Dec 30, 2010 6:04:33 PM

4. What an amazing lady. A beautiful soul, to be sure.

Posted by: ichabod | Dec 30, 2010 6:11:17 PM

5. i've been a fan of patti smith's since her first album "horses" was released back in (i think) 1976. "horses" was such a pivotal work and was highly influential to a 16 year old in southern california. she's been through many, many triumphs and hard times in her life and it's so satisfying to finally see her getting the recognition she truly deserves.

thank you patti.

Posted by: alguien | Dec 30, 2010 6:15:22 PM

6. Just Kids was unputdownable.

Posted by: Bading | Dec 30, 2010 6:59:18 PM

7. When I was twelve I saw the Horses cover and just the first sight I ever had of a woman in a tie made me feel suddenly "not alone," and I decided then and there that was the look for me! So I told my mother all the other girls were wearing boys suits, and she was so thrilled I was finally showing an interest in clothes and "fitting in" that we rushed right out to Sears Roebucks and bought me one! I strutted into school the next day feeling so damn cool. Unfortunately the other kids (who were already antagonistic to me) didn't at all see it that way and I got the crap beaten out of me! Haha! So that was the end of the suit, but I still love Patti ever since for being a brilliant, articulate, powerful female role model for me. I am so thrilled for her!

Posted by: Shelly | Dec 30, 2010 7:13:04 PM

8. Hmm...I met her on several occasions. She lived through very interesting times. NYC in the 60's - 70's must have been fun.

Posted by: ratbastard | Dec 30, 2010 8:35:31 PM

9. I am currently living two seconds away from where she grew up. South Jersey pride! WHOOT. Anyway, I am almost done Just Kids and am enjoying it very much.

Posted by: Thomas | Dec 30, 2010 8:53:13 PM

10. I've thought of Patti Smith as brilliant and as a creative genius for years. Now, after seeing this interview where she seems to be so human and so sweet, my respect for her is greatly increased.

Posted by: rayrayj | Dec 30, 2010 9:14:25 PM

11. Patty Smith makes my heart hurt in a good way. Love you Patty.

Posted by: Nanny McBone | Dec 30, 2010 9:54:51 PM

12. I arrived in NYC several months before Horses was released saw her many times at Weisers bookstore where I worked and caught her last Rock & Rimbaud show....I was transformed and never looked back. A year later I jumped at the chance to sit for Robert in San Francisco and impressed all of my NYC friends when my portrait was in his first show at The Kitchen...Like she mentions of being at Joplins feet; I didn't realize how momentous they were at the time...

Posted by: Jack | Dec 31, 2010 1:13:52 AM

13. I still love Patti -- back in 1976 she was the only girl I ever wanted to ravage, or maybe the only girl I ever wanted to be.

Horses changed my life in a thousand good ways.

Posted by: charles maguro | Dec 31, 2010 7:41:58 AM

14. I saw Patti in 1976, in a concert when she did the entire Horses and Radio Ethiopia albums.. I was standing at the front of the stage, part of the "2 very electric people" she spoke of later in an interview article. We bounced on her foot, from across the security rope.. and handed her a leather Sufi bracelet, a heart with crescent moon and star and wings that wrap around the wrist. Patti Smith is my favorite musician/poet/visionary.. still. I love her.

Posted by: Dwight | Dec 31, 2010 10:26:54 AM

15. OMG! Patti Smith’s “Horses” – “Can’t you show me nothing but surrender?” was a bolt out of a foggy blue. It crystallized something strong not suggested by those words. I love this beautiful woman!

Posted by: Bad Humor Boy | Dec 31, 2010 1:26:43 PM