Atlanta | Gay Bar | Georgia | Law Enforcement | News

Watch: Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed Apologizes for Raid on Gay Bar

Reed

On Monday, I reported that the Atlanta Police Department had a greed to a $1 million settlement with Atlanta Eagle staff and patrons for the September 2009 raid on the establishment.

Yesterday, Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed held a press conference and apologized for what happened.

Said Reed:

"I believe that what occurred that evening should not have happened and should not happen again. As mayor of the city of Atlanta, I feel pain for anyone mistreated in our city and apologize to each plaintiff in the Calhoun case."

The settlement, which you can read here, also included broad procedural changes for the police department so what happened that night won't happen again:

"Atlanta Eagle patrons alleged they were forced to lie face down on the bar's floor the night of the raid as members of the APD¹s Red Dog Unit searched them for drugs and ran background checks on them using their ID cards. Eight people were arrested and charged with operating an adult establishment without proper city permits. The raid occurred on the bar's once popular "Underwear Night" in which dancers clad in underwear entertained patrons."

Watch Reed's full statement and a report form MyFOX Atlanta, AFTER THE JUMP...

To follow news on ATLANTA, check out our HUB. And "LIKE" it to follow updates on Facebook.

Comments

1. So I guess after legal fees are taken out of the escrow account, each plainiff will get $20?

Posted by: Leroy | Dec 9, 2010 9:04:11 AM

2. So once again, queers CAN be bought. Nice!

Posted by: Nanny McBone | Dec 9, 2010 9:14:54 AM

3. Actually, Nanny McBone, this isn't about queers being bought. It's a sign of queers reversing bad practices and being heard by law enforcement that this kind of raid and mistreatment is wrong and shouldn't happen again. Well done, I say.

Posted by: Brenda | Dec 9, 2010 10:21:14 AM

4. Is it a Freudian slip that "had agreed" is written as "had a greed"?

Posted by: Ruddigore | Dec 9, 2010 10:42:50 AM

5. Being bought?? No. This is exactly how you get policy changed: Sue the bejeesus out of them, and it won't happen again. I promise you this will do more to change police culture than having someone fired.
    If I were the plaintiffs, I don't think I could resist sending a copy of my check for damages to each of the officers involved, along with a nice thank you note. Even with the traditional 33% taken out for attorney fees, $1 million dollars split 20 ways is still some cabbage.

Posted by: plinx | Dec 9, 2010 11:38:01 AM

6. I have family in Atlanta, and visit often. I can remember on Christmas many years ago it was so cold outside the club my car wouldn't start. An Atlanta police officer gave me a ride to the nearest service station, then brought me back to my car, and waited until I was safely on my way. He knew the club and the clientele, and was as kind, polite and friendly as I could have asked.

I was also visiting Atlanta the night of the raid, and just by chance did not go to the Eagle. I will never forget the sickness in my stomach when I heard about the raid on the news the next day, and wish I could have delayed my return home so I could have joined the march in protest.

This sounds insensitive, however; as long as Atlanta has to pay, I couldn't care less who ends up with the money, or how much they get. I just hope the results of these cases make Atlanta police think twice before doing anything remotely similar to this ever again.

Posted by: NAlabama | Dec 9, 2010 10:59:04 PM

7. As a gay man from the south who has also lived in San Francisco, i must say i'm surprised to hear Atlanta police don't wear name tags already.
    Anyone interested in cross-referencing the state of police treatment of gay bar patrons would research the White Night Riots of 1979.

Posted by: Rich | Dec 10, 2010 3:04:37 AM

8. Hi:My name is Anthony Smith, and I need your help.I need some one to give me the name an the Law'er or the Attorney, handal the, Atlanta Eagle Gay Bar LAW Sut. Call or 404-314-6310 or E-Mail at: smithant85@aol.com. Comment,there are law's in place for all God's people.We all have right's,and thay brock the law and so thay payed the price.

Posted by: Anthony Smith | Oct 3, 2011 12:13:06 PM