Film | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Brad Pitt and Sean Penn in Trailer for Malick's 'Tree of Life'

Treeoflife

The trailer for Terrence Malick's highly-anticipated film The Tree of Life, which takes a sweeping look at the life of a man from boyhood to adulthood starting in the 50's, has hit the web, and it's stunning. The film is due at the end of May.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Wow, that was so beautiful and powerful, made me tear up. Can't wait for it.

Posted by: RONTEX | Dec 15, 2010 3:40:58 PM

2. Beautiful imagery, pretty much nothing else to go on though.

Could be good, could be mediocre. Hard to tell what its about, other than 'a man's life'.

Posted by: Wes | Dec 15, 2010 3:46:20 PM

3. Stunning, powerful, best trailer I've seen in a long time. I will go and see it.

Posted by: Matt26 | Dec 15, 2010 3:53:53 PM

4. I thought the tree of life was on Pandora.

Posted by: Dan Mc | Dec 15, 2010 3:59:23 PM

5. That looks good. But who the heck is Jessica Chastain?!

Posted by: crispy | Dec 15, 2010 3:59:30 PM

6. Maybe I'm just jaded but all I could do was roll my eyes at this.

It just seems like a cluster of unearned powerful images smashed together, like that is all it takes to evoke emotion. Another one of those unrealistic, way-too-serious, made-for-the-Oscars dramas that everyone will rave about for months on end....and then forget.

I could be wrong though.

Posted by: BlValley | Dec 15, 2010 3:59:38 PM

7. Brad Pitt's spawn grows up to be... Sean Penn? Sorry all you Jolie-Pitts--you're hosed.

Posted by: AnonInSoCal | Dec 15, 2010 4:01:46 PM

8. It's like tearing up to an inspirational poster. "Every journey starts with a single step"...tracks in the snow on everest...c'mon! Failure: Why Try?

Posted by: TANK | Dec 15, 2010 4:08:58 PM

9. Stunning trailer for what looks like a beautiful movie! Can't wait!

Posted by: Ian | Dec 15, 2010 4:28:14 PM

10. I'm imagining that the negative comments are from people who are not familiar with the films of Terrence Malick?
    Bad Lands, Days Of Heaven, The Thin Red Line.
    Or maybe it's jsut those of the MTV generation who think James Cameron makes great films?

Posted by: Bobo | Dec 15, 2010 5:36:37 PM

11. It does look visually stunning but that title is really pretentious.

Posted by: jaragon | Dec 15, 2010 5:43:18 PM

12. The reason to get excited is because Malick is responsible for what may be the most beautiful film ever made: Days of Heaven.

Posted by: AdamN | Dec 15, 2010 6:15:03 PM

13. James Cameron may not make great movies, but he does entertain. That is undeniable: he makes movies people want to see. With the exception of badlands, Terrence Malick's overrated. The thin red line was a complete snoozefest.

Posted by: TANK | Dec 15, 2010 6:15:35 PM

14. I can't wait to see this! It looks terrific.

Posted by: TANK | Dec 15, 2010 6:21:44 PM

15. 'Days' is one of my favorite films, but I'm not blown away by this... - have always been afraid he'd make a bomb, and I'd have to suffer the pain of it. of course I'll go. we'll see.

Posted by: SexierThanReed | Dec 15, 2010 6:22:06 PM

16. Who said anything about Cameron? The negative comments speak about the redundancy of overt sentimental imagery. Contrasting the moment of conception with an eclipse seen from space? Gag me.

Posted by: BlValley | Dec 15, 2010 6:54:41 PM

17. Just my opinion, but Malick directs beautiful-looking, thematically engaging films that can't maintain any kind of narrative thread or compelling drama. I'm gonna pass.

Posted by: Zlick | Dec 15, 2010 7:20:38 PM

18. Looks interesting to me. More on Wikipedia...

Posted by: Jim | Dec 15, 2010 9:06:16 PM

19. AH! The narrative thread...I love a good book. I also love film for the art form it is!!
    Film Theory is also a wonderful read, and very educational!!

Posted by: Bobo | Dec 15, 2010 9:07:25 PM

20. Tank you must have missed a few doses of those bi-polar meds.

Posted by: Bobo | Dec 15, 2010 9:09:19 PM

21. Zzzzzzzzz.....

Posted by: 207guy | Dec 15, 2010 10:50:19 PM

22. hey, bobo...and the toaster oven (see what I'm reduced to with the potty mouth filter?) who posted under TANK to piss me off (goddamnit!)...it's called an overdose of ambien. I strongly advise the procedure for the both of you and those like you, because you are a total coffee cup, and should go lamb chop yourself. Philistines.

Posted by: TANK | Dec 15, 2010 10:58:08 PM

23. Sorry to rain on the parade, but I'm not impressed. The answers to life are not going to be found in a Malick film. (Nor will anything else but good sleep, if The New World is any indication). I don't think we even need to wait for the film, to parody it. Not a good sign.

Posted by: Randy | Dec 15, 2010 11:12:54 PM

24. Tank you're a lonely smelly old troll who most peole ignore. Your history of hostilty in the comments section stems from the realization that your mommy hated you more then most of the people who post comments here. Due to your mommy issues you are only able to derive pleasure from harrassing people on the internet, and cleaning your own feces from under your fingernails. Most have come to learn that Tank=a lonely, old, angry, ass-picking troglodyte.

Posted by: Bobo | Dec 15, 2010 11:18:18 PM

25. ass picking? There was hyphen in that...what does that mean? I pick asses? Choose them or rummage around in them?

Oh, go back to sleep. The mommy daddy thing is the last act of a desperate fool.

Posted by: TANK | Dec 15, 2010 11:26:00 PM