Barbara Walters | Gayle King | I'm Not Gay | News | Oprah

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Oprah Gets Emotional Over Relationship with Gayle — 'I Am Not a Lesbian'

Oprah

Barbara Walters offers up a preview of her upcoming interview with Oprah Winfrey, in which she discusses her relationship with Gayle King, whom she calls "the mother I never had." Adding, "She is the sister everybody would want."

The HuffPost reports:

Oprah, who told herself she wouldn't let Walters make her cry, said that the reason those words brought her to tears is that she's never said them to Gayle herself.

"It's making me cry because I'm thinking about how much I probably have never told her that," she said.

Oprah also addressed the persistent rumors that she and Gayle are lesbians.

"I'm not a lesbian. I'm not even kind of a lesbian," she said. "And the reason why it irritates me is because it means that somebody must think I'm lying. That's number one. Number two: why would you want to hide it? That is not the way I run my life."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

To follow news on Oprah, check out our HUB. And "LIKE" it to follow updates on Facebook.

Comments

1. For God's sake, why does it matter if she's a lesbian or not? In this day and age? Can't we look beyond that yet? If she is, fine, if not, fine?

Posted by: Craig | Dec 8, 2010 11:57:02 AM

2. Gay or straight, Oprah, I still love you. Thanks for all the great book recommendations!

That being said, there are WSW who don't identify as lesbian and there are MSM who don't identify as gay or homosexual, whether it's denial, the disdain of labels or a combination of the two.

OFF TOPIC:
    By the way, is it me, or are media types using the antiquated term "the homosexuals" more often than not lately?

MORE OFF TOPIC:
    Oprah should really devote a whole hour to a sit-down with both John Travolta and Tom Cruise. I don't why. (I didn't get a lot of sleep last night.)

Posted by: Vince in WeHo | Dec 8, 2010 12:12:42 PM

3. so where's the camping trip with Steadman?

Posted by: r | Dec 8, 2010 12:29:39 PM

4. I was hoping Ms. Winfrey would do one of those "It Gets Better" videos. But since she's freaked out at the whole idea of being gay, that's apparently not ever going to happen.

Posted by: Terry | Dec 8, 2010 12:40:10 PM

5. Um, Terry, you clearly didn't pay attention to anything. She made it crystal clear that it's not even close to being freaked out with the idea of being gay. It's about her honestly saying she's not, and for YEARS people basically saying she's a liar. It's like some annoying bitch trying to turn you straight and constantly going on about how "you MUST be straight, you're just saying you're gay." I guess some people are never satisfied unless everyone is like them, or even if they aren't, they have to say they are, eh Terry?

Posted by: Joey Y | Dec 8, 2010 12:45:40 PM

6. She didn't say she was freaked out, quite the opposite. She said, essentially, if I were gay I wouldn't hide it because I don't live my life by hiding. Meaning, being gay is not something one should hide, and it's not something she imagines she would hide if she were. I'm not sure how you got "freaked out" from that. Not everyone is a homophobe.

Posted by: Anthony | Dec 8, 2010 12:50:51 PM

7. I'm sorry, my bad, I read this incorrectly. My fault. Sorry. My apologies to everyone here and Ms. Winfrey.

Posted by: Terry | Dec 8, 2010 1:14:19 PM

8. The constant harrassment towards some celebrities who have demonstrated and clearly stated that they are straight is truly juvenile and annoying. Craig, up above, said it best. Gay? Fine. Straight? Fine. What business is it of ours what sexuality they define themselves with? Isn't the "hands-off" approach what we as the gay community ask for for ourselves???

Posted by: Austin | Dec 8, 2010 1:20:30 PM

9. It's way more interesting if Oprah isn't gay because it's that whole 19th Century passionate friendship thing that I think is really lovely and frees up lots of (heterosexual) people. A person's primary relationship can be a same-sex friendship that is non-sexual and it truly doesn't make them a lesbian. These relationships used to be valued and given a place in the social order, now you're a liar and a weirdo if you're best friend is the most important person in your life, no you must conform to our small-minded gay/straight dichotomy.

How boring.

Posted by: David | Dec 8, 2010 1:33:22 PM

10. I'm very close with my gay best friend & we do take trips together without our boyfriends. I don't understand why people find it weird that she & Gayle are close & not be lovers. Fact is, Oprah has always been supportive of the gay community. She even disagrees with Obama about gay marriage. Also, people forget she played Ellen's psychiatrist on that coming-out episode & subsequently got the most hate-mail ever in her career. I'll miss her show.

Posted by: scar2 | Dec 8, 2010 1:33:24 PM

11. Okay. I'LL be the first to say it.

I'M Sick of Oprah!

Oh, that and I hope they give Nate berkus her spot. (drooooool)

Posted by: jtramon | Dec 8, 2010 1:33:48 PM

12. I never thought she was lez

Posted by: V | Dec 8, 2010 1:41:44 PM

13. My condolences, Ms. Griffin, on the death of half your act.

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Dec 8, 2010 2:18:44 PM

14. Bitch needs to go

Posted by: hadit | Dec 8, 2010 2:30:20 PM

15. I'm not a big fan of Oprah's show, nothing against her personally, just don't think it is that informative or interesting. That aside, I really like Oprah Winfrey! I think she truely is a genuine person...maybe I'm naive? Also, I have a very close relationship with someone who I have known for over twenty years, although she is a woman and I am a man, it is possible to feel that passionat about someone who is not a sexual partner. The woman who I have known, both lesbian, and heterosexual are capable of forming very close bonds with other woman who are not sexual partners, and I think woman tend to be more outwardly affectionate, and nuturing in their friendships with other woman, then men; certainly among the heterosexual men I have known.

Posted by: Bobo | Dec 8, 2010 3:17:08 PM

16. Oh, Oprah-girl, we know you aint gay. It's just fun to hear Kathy Griffin make jokes about it.

Just sayin'.

Posted by: johnny | Dec 8, 2010 3:32:21 PM

17. I totally agree with David. My best friend is a straight guy and people constantly tell him "oh you must be gay, you just don't know it." When he is totally straight. Even my parents realized one day "He really is straight, isn't he?"

Posted by: NoSleep4Sam | Dec 8, 2010 3:35:25 PM

18. WTF Oprah's a lez?

Posted by: ratbastard | Dec 8, 2010 4:16:03 PM

19. Cool Oprah, we get it. I've been hooking up with my best friend for a couple of years now and he swears up, down, and sideways that he's not gay. Define yourself however you'd like, it's your right...I guess. ;)

Posted by: RDUB | Dec 8, 2010 6:09:40 PM

20. If she was a lesbian I don't honestly believe she would be open about it, and certainly not in the 80's when she came up. The fact that she has a prop of a BF and obviously a GF of some kind in Gale, makes it real easy for the lesbian rumors to persist. You don't get to be the richest woman on earth by always telling the truth.

Posted by: Noprah | Dec 8, 2010 7:54:48 PM

21. Why doesn't she ever talk about Steadman the way she talks about Gayle?

That's why people think she's gay. It's not the intense relationship with Gayle. It's the minimal relationship with Steadman.

But yeah, I can see why she'd value her friendship with Gayle so much. When you have that much money and fame, it must be hard to know who your real friends are, so you value the ones you can trust.

Posted by: InscrutableTed | Dec 9, 2010 12:00:01 AM

22. She's not the richest woman in the world. Christy Walton is the richest with 22.5 billion. Oprah is relatively poor with only 2.4 billion.

Posted by: Kyle | Dec 9, 2010 12:07:52 AM

23. Harpo, who dis woman?

Posted by: Sean | Dec 9, 2010 1:36:32 AM

24. I love the way she calls for a tissue - she simply shouts into the darkness "TISSUE PLEASE" as if someone is going to jump and bring her one.

Priceless!

Posted by: steve | Dec 9, 2010 7:37:33 AM

25. Lez or not I don't like her.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Dec 9, 2010 10:44:01 AM