Apple | News

Watch: Welcome to the Future — Word Lens iPhone App Translates Any Sign You Point Camera At

Wordlens

Welcome to the future, indeed.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. "the language pack (which currently only offers English-Spanish translation or vice versa)"

Whoopee!

call me when it can do a language most people don't know

Posted by: KevinVT | Dec 17, 2010 9:23:03 AM

2. How about translating those pictogram signs? No Smoking is easy, but what about Don't Tease The Wombat?

Posted by: Natira | Dec 17, 2010 9:33:22 AM

3. it doesn't work - or at least i couldn't get it to.

Posted by: jgm22 | Dec 17, 2010 9:35:06 AM

4. Interestingly enough, 3 days ago google launched another translating thing which is a-mazing. I spent like 2 hours yesterday translating everything into everything and having perfect english, french, chinese and spanish coming out of it.

translate.google.com

Posted by: topher | Dec 17, 2010 10:13:52 AM

5. I hope they get Hungarian and Croatian by February. Then I'm sold.

Posted by: Craig | Dec 17, 2010 11:37:49 AM

6. Although I believe that iPhones are for dummies (BlackBerry user here), I have to admit that this is a cool app.

@topher Google Translate was introduced in 2007.

Posted by: stingo | Dec 17, 2010 11:53:06 AM

7. @stingo: it changed 3 days ago. New features announced all over. Try it and then comment.

Posted by: topher | Dec 17, 2010 1:16:38 PM

8. My iTunes app, Lens Word, didn't work. Be careful.

Posted by: barney | Dec 17, 2010 1:23:20 PM

9. Does it matter that the allegedly Spanish-language signs they were "translating" were not right?

"LO TRADUCE EL TEXTO" is something that an Anglo learner would say, but no Spanish-speaker would say. Yet the sign would need to read this way in order for the translation program to correctly produce "It translates the text."

Posted by: Marc | Dec 17, 2010 1:24:25 PM

10. I've had a droid app for about six months that will translate anything I say into my phone (English to six foreign languages and in reverse as well). It both says it and has it appear on the screen. That seems more useful to me.

Posted by: Paul R | Dec 17, 2010 3:47:01 PM