John McCain Reverses Position on ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’, Says He Will Do All He Can to Make Repeal Work

Senator John McCain, DADT' repeal's fiercest opponent in the Senate, has adopted a new position.

The Hill reports: Mccain

McCain signaled that he had made peace with the lame-duck bill to do away with the military's ban on openly gay and lesbian service members, of which he had been an outspoken critic.

"I think I have to do everything I can to make sure that the important moral, retention, recruitment, and battle effectiveness of the military is minimized as much as possible," McCain said on Fox Business. "It is a law and I have to do whatever I can to help the men and women who are serving particularly in combat cope with this new situation. I will do everything I can to make it work."

Added The Hill…"McCain said he would do whatever he could to help implement the policy's repeal."

Comments

1. Mike says

I think he intended the exact opposite of his statement to MINIMISE battle effectiveness, but then again he is great at standing on both sides of every issue.

2. nick says

You are becoming a caricature Johnny-
    time to join the rest of the retirees in your state-
    don’t embarrass yourself or the people of your state anymore…..

3. says

You can be opposed to something and then change course, but I don’t see how you can be THAT opposed to something to where you’re screaming your fool head off about how it’ll cost lives, etc., and then suddenly say, “Oh, well, it’s the law, I’ll help out now.” One of the positions has to be fake.

4. Will says

Far from “reversing position,” this interview merely establishes that his position opposing the repeal is as entrenched as ever. Him saying he’ll work to “minimize” the damage is the same old whiny, truculent McCain we’ve come to know and loathe.

5. TampaZeke says

He is such a transparent SHITHEAD!

He knows that NONE of the doomsday scenarios that he painted are going to manifest so he’s going VERY public to claim that HE will step in to “minimize” or avoid all of the horrible things that WOULD HAVE HAPPENED had HE not stepped in with his enormous powers of persuasion and mediation to prevent them.

Then, when NONE of the horrible things that he claimed would happen, which wouldn’t have happened anyway, don’t happen, he can claim credit and, in his mind, come out smelling like a rose.

This is all a shameless attempt by this insane egomaniac to change his place in DADT history and to try to salvage some remnant of his legacy.

It ain’t gonna work. He will quite deservedly be placed in the same chapter of future history books with George Wallace, Joseph McCarthy and other hateful, ignorant bigots.

6. Joe says

This does not sound promising. When I read:

“…I have to do everything I can to make sure that the important moral, retention, recruitment, and battle effectiveness of the military is minimized as much as possible…”

It sounds more like he wants to ensure that it’s okay to discriminate against gays, call them names, and tell them they are wrong, but allow them to – in theory – serve openly. I wouldn’t past him to promote a hostile environment and oppose changes to the military code as well as changes to the the anti-discrimination code. It bothers me that the first group he is concerned with is the “moral retention.”

7. Danny says

I wonder how Cindy’s black eyes are. haven’t seen her since she went on record supporting repeal of DADT – then suddenly backtracked from that position IN A WRITTEN STATEMENT. I haven’t seen her since. I’m sure her toughguy roughed her up.

I smell co-dependency.

8. Esther Blodgett says

Dear Senator McCain,
    You have been reelected by selling your soul to the tea party zealots.

Now just go away. You have no power any more. No one really cares what you have to say on either side of any issue. The right has never liked you, and the left knows you cannot be trusted.

The repeal of DADT will work very well without your input.

Sincerely,
    A Grateful Nation

9. Danny says

@ Matthew Rettenmud: or he has to be a fake.

I incline to believing his flip-flopping are related unresolved issues related to PTSD. I don’t think he has the insight to realize how gravely affected he was by being a POW. He will do anything he has to do to “feel safe.” Any thing. Remember how he crawled to GWB and wrapped his arms around him? Just sickening. Beneath the dignity of any man to crawl to a sophomoric nobody like that. But it’s all part of the same emotional sickness.

10. Paul R says

When some politicians reverse positions, it’s admirable. Here it’s just crap, like he only read the Pentagon report last week.

Also, the following statement makes no sense, and though I know his intended meaning, the injection of “moral” shows that he’s just a Christian bigot.

“I have to do everything I can to make sure that the important moral, retention, recruitment, and battle effectiveness of the military is minimized as much as possible.”

So he wants to minimize military effectiveness in several areas?

11. Craig says

I guess the nurse finally brought Senile, I mean Senator, Grandpa McFlip-Flop his JELLO so that he’d stop yelling at the clouds in the sky. Seriously, if we have to have a McCain in the Senate, can we let it be Meghan even though she’s constitutionally too young. Geesh.

12. Salvatore says

One thing to keep on mind… And its something our President has said many times… It is the duty of our politicians to uphold our nations laws to the best of their ability, even if they do not agree with the law.
    Personally, Iam not a McCain fan, but I feel he is setting an example… (That, or he is prepping for election season… Ha)

13. Rob says

Uh-oh, after showing your true colors on the DADT repeal issue last month, Senior McCain, I doubt the military needs or even wants your help. Just butt out and stay out.

This committment to help implement the eventual DADT repeal plan from THE man who could’ve been our current President with Mama Grizzly as his VP (which means we would have NO repeal law in place).

14. Bob R says

Very confused statement if accurately reported in context. He wants to do all he can to MINIMIZE moral (or did he mean morale?),retention, recruitment, and battle effectiveness of the military? Shouldn’t that be maximize? Or did he mean minimize the effect of DADT on those issues? I don’t think McCain is very lucid any more. Perhaps a combination of PTSD, current political stresses and even onset of Alzheimer’s is affecting his cognitive abilities?

15. ophu says

Good to hear, Senator McCain. Thank you for your help. I onow you only want what’s best for our military.

You see, THAT’S the tone we need to take now. No one likes a grumpy queer. 😐

16. says

Are y’all sure he said “moral”, and not “morale”? The latter is being quoted on other sites, and kinda makes a big difference in the interpretation of his statement.

That said, I wouldn’t trust John McCain any further than I could throw his Medicare-reimbursed Rascal scooter.

17. coolbearinmd says

Look, he’s an idiot and a blowhard, but you have to know he doesn’t write or distribute these things. Obviously, the statement was meant to be “impact on morale,” not “important morale.” It’s still reprehensible in that it’s part of his campaign to spin DADT repeal as this huge challenge, but it’s not completely stupid or evil.

18. Warren says

He has not reversed his opinion. He will do everything to make sure the implementation goes the way he wants it to. This statement is nothing more than him holding on to whatever power he has in the process.

19. BobN says

This isn’t a flip-flop at all. He’s going to fight any attempt at integration in combat units until “proof” — which will never be enough — is presented. He will fight anti-discrimination efforts. He will fight accommodation in benefits, housing, spousal status, etc.

He’ll work to make the repeal work the way HE wants it to work, which is to say, barely.

20. Bryan says

The headline is grotesquely misleading, and I do hope no one here is dumb enough to swallow it.

Whatever he once was, McCain is now first and foremost an opportunist. He’s said nothing that indicates a change in his position, he’s merely spinning the inevitable.

21. yaaah69 says

He is an idiot, wishy washy in ever aspect of Government , I would not trust him with my dick in his hand . He will try and subvert us at every turn. And besides how can he tell everyone in the services how to act : regarding the repeal of D.A.D.T. It will have to be worked out by those who are loosing their lives and those who know we can fight side by side . Its natural for men to size up other men in a shower , glances do not make a pass and everyone does it straight and gay.

22. ThomTT says

And his position tomorrow will be what? This man stands for absolutely NOTHING – he changes his mind, opinion and position more times than most people change their underwear. McCain should have taken his presidential defeat as a sign that people are no longer interested in his self-serving political stand (whatever they might be today)and called it quits. His wife is worth a reported $100M so he should just retire and enjoy what remains of his life.