Crime | Miami | News

BigGayDeal.com

Miami Man Held in Murder of Two Men He Perceived Were Gay

A Miami man is in custody, accused of killing two men because he perceived they were gay, WPLG reports:

Guzman "A suspect has been arrested in the fatal shooting of the owner of a South Florida auto shop, and police said the gunman killed the man because he thought the man was gay. Matthew Guzman, 21 (pictured), was arrested and charged with first-degree murder in the death of Paul Barrow, 46. Barrow was shot in the head on the morning of Dec. 16 at his business, Devonaire Service, at 122nd Avenue and 112th Street. He later died...Guzman was arrested Sunday in connection with another crime. Police said he then confessed to killing Barrow as well as another man, Harry Ray, on Nov. 18."

WSVN notes that Guzman shot and killed Ray because he perceived Ray was making "homosexual advances" towards him.

Watch an early NBC report on the shooting of Barrow, whom they mistakenly refer to as Morrow, AFTER THE JUMP...

View more news videos at: http://www.nbcmiami.com/video.

Comments

1. Wait until the gunman goes to prison. He'll have more than his fill of men making sexual advances at him, especially as young as he is. Stupid, senseless death. This is what Christianist homophobia and bullying have brought us.

Posted by: Brad | Jan 4, 2011 7:55:31 PM

2. Brad,

Christianist? C'mon man...is that part of your marching orders? Twist any story into something negative about religion, Christianity...throw in a snipe about racism for good measure? He's obviously MENTALLY ILL, probably something like paranoid schizophrenic.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 4, 2011 8:07:21 PM

3. Rat Bastard: WRONG

Try, stupid thug.

You don't need to be mentally ill to shoot a faggot.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 4, 2011 8:13:34 PM

4. I bet my life that this kid was abused by some uncle, step dad or adult friend who said they were going to take care of him. His anger and the irrationality of the crime says it all.

Which goes back to the need that society at large in the US need to be educated that abuse is aboutpower and not being gay. It hurts men most because it is another man and how theyare taught they should behave in society-tough but the is a lot of female to female abuse and older female to younger male abuse that never gets said. At all.

I think I was reading in after Elton about some kid talking about getting his life back on track and mentioning that his mum used to get in bed with him to fondle him when his dad left. But he then simply said it stopped after he punched her and his dad got back.

If that was a man, would he be this blaze???

Elephant in the room.

Posted by: Rowan | Jan 4, 2011 8:18:40 PM

5. If I shoot a woman who makes sexual advances on me is that a defense if I shoot her?

Posted by: justiceontherocks | Jan 4, 2011 8:29:13 PM

6. YAWNNNN, the "Gay Panic" defence again...

Posted by: ophu | Jan 4, 2011 8:42:19 PM

7. JUST a 'Stupid Thug'? I agree, there is no shortage of plain, old stupid, violent thugs...so, yeah, maybe; but probably also mentally ill. He certainly sounds classically paranoid. Could simply be a stupid violent coke, crack and/or meth head thug.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 4, 2011 8:45:49 PM

8. And I agree with Rowan; guys who were abused by especially guys can obviously develop a hatred and paranoia for all gay men.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 4, 2011 8:49:15 PM

9. They can indeed, Ratbastard, and often it is a misplaced hatred of gay men as a resaction to being mistreated by someone who was actually heterosexual.
    But I doubt this psychopath has been mistreated by anyone gay. Rowan, I've known very few homophobes who seemed to have been reacting to such an experience. Usually, it's misplaced aggression in a futile attempt to stamp out something they hate about themselves.
    The former skinhead in today's other article casts some light on homophobic men who attack gay men in a misplaced attempt to prove to themselves or others how "ungay" they are.
    Sometimes it's because they've internalized fear of homosexuality and are phobic of any degree of homosexual feelings that they detect in themselves (a University of Georgia study suggested this phenomenon is very common among homophobes).
    Also, as the former skinhead said, men who have "no luck with the ladies" (and have simultaneously been taught to hate gay people) can feel that they don't have any valid "proof" to show of their own heterosexuality, and attack gay men imagining it will "ungay" themselves in their own or others' eyes.

Posted by: GregV | Jan 4, 2011 10:58:46 PM

10. Tsk tsk. C'mon, Andy. This other TANK used the 'n' on more than one occasion--is a racist moron with a 98 IQ...tops. Lift it out of the gutter.

As to god's special little creature here, he's got a date with a needle. And that is the only way.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 5, 2011 1:04:34 AM

11. It's possible that he was just anti-white and using gay panic as an excuse to kill them, because, let's face it, no one was gay or came on to him at all.

Posted by: Natira | Jan 5, 2011 3:24:52 AM

12. @GREGV,

Are you saying there are few or no instances of homosexual males assaulting, abusing, raping other males they have power over, especially kids? Of course there are. And the victims don't just forget about it. You don't just forgive and forget something like that.

I'm not saying this was the case with this feral savage.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 5, 2011 11:40:04 AM

13. I await the day when I can murder two men because I perceived them to be straight.

It's scuzzy little punks like this perp that really make me favor the death penalty with a little creative, vic-inspired torture before pulling the switch.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 5, 2011 4:30:26 PM

14. @Ratbastard: Of course, practically any kind of assault you can name exists sometimes in a world of 7 billion people. But when it comes to gay-identified men attacking or raping, yes I do think it happens very seldom as a proportion of all such attacks. All the evidence seems to suggests that the number of such attacks that are commited by gay-identifying men is significantly lower than the proportion of gay-identifying men in society.
    And of all the violently homophobic men I have ever known, I have never known one who seemed to have ever experienced a true assault by any gay-identified man (though they have tended, in their paranoia, to consider even "the fag looked at me" or "that freak said hello when passing by" as an "assault" worthy of a beating.
    Whenever a psychopath claims that the man he shot repeatedly, beat to a pulp or dismembered "made a pass at me," (nearly always with no evidence, and often completely out of character according to everyone who knew the attacked or deceased victim), I think back to all the homophobes I've ever known and what they considered a "pass," and I dismiss that pathetic excuse for the inordinate reaction without a moment's hesitation.

Posted by: GregV | Jan 5, 2011 9:17:01 PM