Mitt Romney | New Hampshire | Republican Party

Mitt Romney Emerges As Winner In NH Straw Poll

Though it's still too early for any of the following presidential candidates to announce their run for the presidency, a straw poll of members of the New Hampshire Republican State Committee was held yesterday and Mitt Romney was deemed the clear winner. The top 10 are as follows:

6a00d8341c730253ef0133f4e12d8d970b

Mitt Romney 35.14%
Ron Paul 10.51%
Tim Pawlenty 7.61%
Sarah Palin 6.88%
Michele Bachmann 5.07%
Jim DeMint 5.07%
Herman Cain 3.99%
Chris Christie 3.26%
Rick Santorum 3.26%
Mitch Daniels 2.90%

As Talking Points Memo reports, "the straw poll was conducted in Derry, NH and was sponsored by ABC News and WMUR-TV." For a complete list (Mike Huckabee finished 12 out of 25), click to WMUR's website.

If you think it's too early to make an accurate predict, you might be right. Dante Scala, a political science professor at the University of New Hampshire, tells the Boston Herald: “It’s an initial taking of the temperature of the activists in New Hampshire, but I would caution reading too much into it. I’m sure the situation is very fluid right now even among activists. There are going to be a lot of twists and turns between this January and next.”

Also on Saturday, the New Hampshire GOP selected a 'tea party' activist as its leader.

Comments

1. I am extremely uncomfortable with that photo of an evilly grinning polyester haired man slipping on a latex glove. It bodes ill for what we could expect from a Romney presidency.

Posted by: CoMo'mo | Jan 23, 2011 11:10:50 AM

2. All they need to do is add a dildo to that list for a full-clown clusterfuck.

Go Sarah 2012!

Posted by: AllBeefPatty | Jan 23, 2011 11:55:03 AM

3. I can't believe we have an entire year of this idiocy to endure!

Posted by: RedCedar | Jan 23, 2011 12:03:50 PM

4. Mittens is going to have a tough climb once the nutjobs figure out that (a) he’s a Mormon and (b) the dreaded Obamacare is not unlike what he introduced when he was Governor of Massachusetts.

Should be good. Pass the popcorn...

Posted by: ichabod | Jan 23, 2011 12:20:57 PM

5. I think we ALL need to get behind Palin or Bachman for President. I mean, my father is a "strict" Republican and didn't vote for President in 2008 because he didn't like Palin or Obama. I think many more people would do the same if she was the head of the ticket.

He was pro McCain until it was time to vote and he just couldn't do it. I don't know if it was her sex or just because she's a dummkopf. He won't talk about it.

Unfortunately, many MANY people vote based on how good a candidate looks. If the Republicans were able to put forth a good looking, well groomed, well spoken white male ... they would have won the previous election. Sad but true.

Posted by: Joshua | Jan 23, 2011 12:26:14 PM

6. Far too early for this straw poll to have any meaning... But I agree with previous comments, Go Sarah! Get that nomination and fail in the general!

Posted by: IndyTown | Jan 23, 2011 12:30:22 PM

7. Romney is the only one I see with a chance to beat Obama.....But for that to happen, all those Southern Evangelicals will have to suck it up and vote for a member of the "Mormon Cult" and I'm not sure they have it in them to do that....Their hatred of Obama might be the only thing Mitt has going for him...But is it enough to trump their hatred of the Mormon religion...? Only time will tell...if I had to put money on it...I would say the South will impede his ascendancy...I could be wrong though.

Posted by: Kayla | Jan 23, 2011 1:30:11 PM

8. My guess is he'll win New Hampshire (if he doesn't he's a dead duck), but so many will have assumed he'll win New Hampshire that it won't help him, and that elsewhere he may come in second or third pretty often but that won't be enough for him to win the nomination.

Posted by: RedCedar | Jan 23, 2011 1:44:54 PM

9. Mitt gittin' ready to do some fudge packing.

Posted by: Sean | Jan 23, 2011 2:07:47 PM

10. As a life long political junkie this is great TV. I never thought this country would elect a black President, against a war hero yet. I am the only Democrat in a family of right wing Catholic Republicans. They all want Mitt, they know Palin does not have a prayer.

The only thing that Southern Christians hate more than Catholics are Mormons. Mitt may get the nomination, but he will never get elected.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Jan 23, 2011 2:29:49 PM

11. The Mormons have spent huge amounts of money and effort over the past few decades trying to show that they are Conservative Christians instead of heretics or science fiction cultists. It's been amazingly effective. Now they're putting out new disinformation about gays and the church--not liberalising, but ameliorating some of the worst abuses. In a world where anybody thinks Sarah Palin should be anything but a stay-at-home Mom, this new pseudo image of J. smith's progeny may carry weight.

Posted by: CoMo'mo | Jan 23, 2011 2:47:10 PM

12. I can just see a nightmare scenario where backers of Palin, Bauchmann, DeMint, and Santorum get together and pool their support for just one of those four candidates (20.28% combined right now)- instantly creating a formidable opponent to Romney and placing the United States dangerously on the precipice of theocracy.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Jan 23, 2011 3:15:32 PM

13. they forgot huckabee for the poll

Posted by: mstrozfckslv@yahoo.com | Jan 23, 2011 4:51:23 PM

14. I'm always right except when I'm not. And when I'm not, I should be...always. I never have to ask others for their opinions, because I know the answer to everything that matters.

This is great news for obama.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 23, 2011 5:03:53 PM

15. Couldn't you find a scarier picture of Mitt Romney? He looks like a demented alien getting ready for an anal prove.

Posted by: jaragon | Jan 23, 2011 5:35:06 PM

16. A poll of 273 voters in a small NH town where Romney has a strong geographic advantage is pretty much meaningless.

Breaking it down into double-decimal points is a trick to try to make it look like there were more voters, but note that two pairs of voters had the exact same percentages---something that wouldn't happen in a larger survey. That said, these numbers (even with rounding) don't multiply properly into actual voters.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 23, 2011 8:02:47 PM

17. "two potential candidates," not "two voters."

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 23, 2011 9:46:39 PM

18. I agree with many of the earlier comments. This poll is very small and very early but two anomalies due give me pause. (First) How did Huckabee not make the top 10, was he included in the poll? (Secondly) How did Pawlenty due so well? With a poll of this nature the other listings are logical due to simple name recognition and regional bias. Is Pawlenty already on the ground and organizing?

Posted by: PLAINTOM | Jan 23, 2011 10:16:04 PM

19. A Mormon will not be elected on a national level. People in Massachusetts don't generally care what your religion is. Romney's religion was a non-issue in Mass. But there are other states where they do.

Posted by: ratbastard | Jan 24, 2011 3:44:10 AM

20. With Bachmann and Palin sharing nearly 12% of the vote this "straw poll" only goes to prove the level of stupidity in the New Hampshire Republican Party - these two flakes don't deserve serious consideration for any political position and they continued craziness is going to do their party absolutely no good whatsoever!

Posted by: ThomTT | Jan 24, 2011 6:55:29 AM