Lady Gaga | News

Watch: Lady Gaga Surprises 10-Year-Old YouTube 'Born This Way' Fan

Aragon

Maria Aragon, a 10-year-old whose YouTube cover of Lady Gaga's "Born This Way" went viral this week, was surprised when Gaga called in to a radio station where she was being interviewed and invited her to duet in concert.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. OMG this is why I love Gaga. She's so awesome. I'm so glad that this girl is getting something like this.

Posted by: Stephen | Feb 19, 2011 12:04:47 PM

2. If this doesn't make you cry,
    I don't know why.

Posted by: Philo | Feb 19, 2011 12:18:08 PM

3. I hope all you people who are ripping Lady Gaga apart for lifting the melody of Madonna's "Express Yourself" (who lifted it from The Staples Singers "Respect Yourself") are very ashamed of yourself. Madonna would never make this phone call. Lady Gaga truly loves all her fans. Love her back.

Posted by: Michael | Feb 19, 2011 12:32:11 PM

4. ...and StePhan is totally irrelevant and wants some attention.

Posted by: Nanny McBone | Feb 19, 2011 12:32:54 PM

5. Only turds hate Lady Gaga,

Posted by: Philo | Feb 19, 2011 12:34:12 PM

6. Every day she amazes me with both talent and graciousness. Rock on GaGa!!

Posted by: rob | Feb 19, 2011 12:46:43 PM

7. That little girl is seriously adorable.

Posted by: IAN F | Feb 19, 2011 12:53:37 PM

8. It doesn't matter if StePhan likes Lady Gaga or not. Maria LOVES Lady Gaga and now Lady Gaga ROCKED her world. Lady Gaga is truly an awesome human being.

Posted by: Gregory | Feb 19, 2011 12:55:17 PM

9. That was so sweet. Gaga is such a beautiful soul.

Posted by: ichabod | Feb 19, 2011 12:59:47 PM

10. Lady Gaga is amazing in every possible way. Those assholes who degrade her and denigrate her need their heads boxed a few times.

Posted by: Bobby | Feb 19, 2011 1:07:30 PM

11. Wooooooow. How sweet of lady gaga...this makes her even bigger... it is soooooooo coooooool to do this with her fans..... very very good.

Posted by: Roberto | Feb 19, 2011 1:24:01 PM

12. I've always been under the impression that she's nothing more than a hardworking fame whore, but when I finally watched video of the Grammy's performance just now, I was genuinely moved by the beautiful homage to Alvin Ailey's iconic 'Revelations' that I saw in it. I'm ashamed for having judged and written her off before taking the time to understand where she's coming from. Revelations indeed.

Posted by: jot | Feb 19, 2011 1:30:29 PM

13. I am not a fan of Gaga's music or videos or anything to do with her music career...however, I find that I am more and more a fan of her as humanitarian and spokesperson. I don't recall any star being able to balance their on-stage/recording artistic life with their humanitarian activism so well, and also take part in a corporation's venture. She is truly a person for the 21st century. Yes, there will always be a little bit of self-promotion, but who has ever been so generous to their fans and their causes at the beginning of their careers? I don't know why exactly, but this made my day to see her make that little girl's day.

Posted by: ross | Feb 19, 2011 1:42:05 PM

14. Hey guys, remember when Tom Cruise used to 'save' people from car crashes and as I remember from a London film opening? He also used to get people to call up their friends when they would be near him and say 'hi this is Tom Cruise, come to my film premiere, you have free tickets!'

Gaga in fairness has said she is an 'academic of fame', so this is stuff that has been done before but interesting after she honestly said that, you think this isn't a stunt?

I guess people will see and believe what they want.

The upside is that this makes the fanatical fan really happy...hopefully they can use that need to look up in a good way.

Everyone is a winner.

Posted by: Rowan | Feb 19, 2011 1:45:31 PM

15. I'm sorry - the commenter at 1:46:08 has stepped over the line with their "name." At no time is a screenname advocating the death of another human correct or acceptable. Civil discussion never includes death threats. Please delete the individual and the comment from this posting.

Posted by: William | Feb 19, 2011 1:51:43 PM

16. If you haven't yet watched Maria's YouTube video, do yourself a favor and watch. She is amazing! This is another reason why I love GAGA, she really appreciates her fans! Can't wait to see GAGA in Houston in April.

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Feb 19, 2011 1:54:40 PM

17. That was very sweet from Lady Gaga.

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 19, 2011 2:06:59 PM

18. @ JEFFREY Gaga did this just for publicity. A small little Canadian radio show? Homophobic ? Are you insane?
    And you've obviously never heard "Respect Yourself". Listen and learn.

Posted by: Michael | Feb 19, 2011 2:13:47 PM

19. @William Agreed. It's obviously "trapped in the 80's" JEFFREY. He called her "caca" in another post. So not only is he a fool, he is a coward. I wouldn't be surprised if there were all TANK.

Posted by: Michael | Feb 19, 2011 2:19:42 PM

20. Has anyone else noticed, or commented on, the fact that Maria's version erases the "No Matter Gay, Straight, or Bi/Lesbian, Transgendered Life" lyrics? Am I watching an edited version? Nobody, even on the gay blogs, has mentioned this. If they have, could you please direct me to them.

Posted by: Patrick | Feb 19, 2011 2:36:31 PM

21. I think the problem some gay men are having with Lady Gaga is that they expect all pop music to be written for clubbed-out gay men in their 40s. Born This Way may sound a bit hokey for those of us that have become cynical new yorkers, but it's a beautiful song for the young people among Lady Gaga's fans (which makes it a beautiful song for me).

Posted by: mike128 | Feb 19, 2011 2:37:06 PM

22. @Patrick

That was one of the first things mentioned about the girl's cover on Towleroad.

Posted by: Anonymouse | Feb 19, 2011 2:57:22 PM

23. @ Anonymouse

Thanks! I hadn't checked back since Thursday, and so I hadn't seen any comments. Still, it's disheartening to know that it is acceptable for some identities to be literally erased from a song about acceptance. Especially since this is supposed to be a "gay anthem." Not a single person I've talked to even noticed this! That is why I thought I heard an alternative version. I wonder if this is the one that will be deemed kid-friendly. I certainly hope to see more conversations about this point.

Posted by: Patrick | Feb 19, 2011 3:17:42 PM

24. I am not the crying type, and I got seriously choked up here. I love Gaga!!

Posted by: Alexandre | Feb 19, 2011 3:21:45 PM

25. I live in Winnipeg and I heard this live on the radio. I had no clue Gaga was going to call in. It blew me away and brought me to tears and I'm usually a cynic about these kinds of things.

The little girl, Maria, attends school just a few blocks from my house in a neighbourhood with a fairly high Filipino-Canadian population. Most of them are pretty devout Catholics and that could be the reason she left out the "gay/les/bi/trans" verse. On the other hand, she's a pre-pubescent 10 year old and I suspect almost any parent might find it somewhat inappropriate to sing about being transgendered etc.

And for those of you who think this was set up by Lady Gaga's publicity machine or something, please go set yourselves on fire. That's ludicrous and this was genuine.

Posted by: MikeMB | Feb 19, 2011 3:45:08 PM