News: Xavier Dolan, Squid, Leonardo DiCaprio, Lindsay Lohan

Road E.M. Forster: It gets better.

RoadLindsay Lohan charged with felony grand theft for shoplifting necklace.

Hoover RoadFirst look: Leonardo DiCaprio as J. Edgar Hoover.

RoadPete Wentz and Ashley Simpson to divorce.

RoadNo place like home: Judy Garland's Bel-Air estate for sale for $5.5 million. "Famed Southern California architect Wallace Neff designed the Stone Canyon Road residence for Garland in 1938 -- the same year she was cast as Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz."

RoadHow much did Arianna earn from the AOL-HuffPo deal?

RoadStill plenty of homophobic speakers left at CPAC: "If anti-gay events are more your cup of tea, there's 'How Political Correctness is Harming America's Military' in the Marshall Ballroom on Thursday, featuring Elaine Donnelly of the Center for Military Readiness (which supports the continuation of Don't Ask Don't Tell). There's also 'Traditional Marriage and Society' featuring (among others) Rep. Randy Hultgren (IL) and Bishop Harry Jackson of the Hope Christian Church."

RoadBoo: William Orbit doesn't make the cut on Britney's new album.

Marsden RoadJames Marsden is Band of Outsiders' new model.

RoadRugby icon Gareth Thomas lunches with shoe icon Christian Louboutin.

RoadCathedral City, California couple face deportation split: "An increasing number of gay illegal immigrants are going public with their stories, some risking deportation to homelands in which lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people face harassment or violence."

RoadMore subway rats.

RoadStaten Island man behind gay bashing at Stonewall Inn is arrested for assault again, "this time for pummeling a homeless man and then attacking two cops, authorities said."

RoadBeachgoers help giant squid off Florida coast.

RoadAlex Pettyfer already reportedly possesses a massive Hollywood ego.

Dolan RoadBlackBook talks to filmmaker Xavier Dolan: "I don’t want to prove anything, I don’t want to force people to love me or love my films. I don’t have any kind of attention or love dysfunction. There are haters, they are lovers, whatever works. I just want to do my films and get better. Ideally, I would become more and more interesting and not the opposite way."

RoadDr. Phil on boys and dolls: "Direct your son in an unconfusing way. Don’t buy him Barbie dolls or girl’s clothes. You don’t want to do things that seem to support the confusion at this stage of the game ... Take the girl things away, and buy him boy toys. ... Support him in what he’s doing, but not in the girl things.”

RoadMickey Rourke researching Gareth Thomas role: "Rourke will be at the Millennium Stadium for the opening round of Engage Super League to keep a close eye on Thomas as he prepares to portray the former British Lions captain in a new film. The actor came up with the idea for a film after reading the story of Thomas coming out as the first openly gay professional rugby union player."

Comments

1. Dr. Phil is a quack. He doesn't have a psychology license and is not respected as a therapist by anyone in the psychology community.

His comments here are flat out wrong, outdated and ultimately counterproductive to the child's emotional growth. He should withdraw them and apologize.

Posted by: Patrick M | Feb 9, 2011 3:56:43 PM

2. Can't help it. I just find James Marsden so hot!
    @Patrick M People still watch dr P and take him seriously?

Posted by: Matt26 | Feb 9, 2011 4:12:14 PM

3. Mickey Rourke playing Gareth Thomas.. gawd, why couldn't they find somoene a bit better looking? Kevin McKidd anyone?

Posted by: stephen | Feb 9, 2011 4:26:29 PM

4. I agree. Dr. Phil is wrong. I grew up with five brothers and an older sister, I was the baby. I cried every birthday and Christmas because my father refused to allow me to have a Ken doll yet my mother (and the women who rode to work with every day) had Santa deliver a Ken doll. BEST gift I ever got. I adored that doll and traded my trucks and other boy crap with my sister for her Barbie Malt Shop and Grocery Store (so Ken would have a place to go and work - LOL!). It was a wonderful experience and I wouldn't deny such things to my own son or daughter. You can't change a person's sexual orientation and that's exactly what Dr. Phil is trying to imply. Force your male child to play with male-only things ... is total bullcrap. Besides, the man is a Republican anyway. No one should be paying attention to much of what he advises.

Posted by: OS2Guy | Feb 9, 2011 4:27:25 PM

5. I thought Dr. Phil was just a bald loser with a bad mustache. Didn't know he was a homophone and a quack to boot.

Posted by: MikeMick | Feb 9, 2011 4:32:41 PM

6. the Xavier Dolan story confused me at first... "heartbeats" ... "Les Amours imaginaires" is what the film is called. Sometimes the translated titles really through me off! The French titles for english language films can be even worse. It is a great stylized film, though it goes on a little longer than it should.

Posted by: Vincent-louis Apruzzese | Feb 9, 2011 4:38:36 PM

7. @OS2GUY, I love it! So happy you got your Ken doll and a place for him to work. Sounds like you were an adorable kid, thanks for sharing your story.

Love E.M. Forester, that quote was great.

Posted by: IAN F | Feb 9, 2011 4:48:23 PM

8. Dr. Phil is yet another fraud perpetuated on the American public by the big O. Parents are overly obsessive about toys because they get embarrassed easily by their kids. If the parent is embarrassed by their kids it's the parents that need counciling, not the kids.

LDC as JEH seems a bit of a reprise of his portrayal of HH. He seems fond of the historical biopics.

Posted by: anon | Feb 9, 2011 5:05:59 PM

9. But Leo does look good in period clothes.

Posted by: jaragon | Feb 9, 2011 5:53:36 PM

10. Can someone explain to me why Mickey Rourke, a man who is a full 24 years older than Gareth Thomas and who looks like he had a rough go with a whole forest full of ugly sticks, is being allowed to play one of the most smoldering rugby players out there? Sure he's a talented actor but you wouldn't cast Clint Eastwood to play David Beckham.

I. Don't. Get. It.

Posted by: SKOC211 | Feb 9, 2011 6:01:48 PM

11. SKOC211 - It is Gareth who wants Mickey Rourke to play the part. He is very happy with Rourke in the role. He said it is not about looks; its about the actor's ability to understand the emotion of it. Its not so much that he is playing Gareth; more that he is playing Gareth's story.

Posted by: Atheist | Feb 9, 2011 6:05:21 PM

12. Seriously Mickey Rourke as Gareth Thomas? And it's Gareth approved/endorsed? I see Daniel Craig or Jason Statham way more fitted to the role.

Posted by: aldub | Feb 9, 2011 10:36:39 PM

13. I agree with you Vincent on the fact some of the scenes of "Les Amours Imaginaires" were a bit too long.
    I actually prefered is very first film "j'ai tué ma mère".

Yet I'm still a huge fan of Xavier Dolan's work, the boy is really talented.

I was surprised to see that his next movie is on a crowdfunding website (touscoprod.ca) in order to find money to produce it ! So I joined this opportunity to help this talented director, and I really hope that he'll get more recognition with Laurence Anyways. Here is the link : http://www.touscoprod.com/ca/pages/projet/fiche.php?s_id=2

And also an interview he did in french about it (english subs in comments) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHFziRhHFJs

Posted by: Mathilda | Feb 10, 2011 5:31:48 PM