Designer John Galliano Releases Statement, Goes to Rehab

STATEMENT BY JOHN GALLIANO

Since the events of last Thursday evening I have not been able to make any public comment on what took place based upon advice from my French lawyer. However, given the continuing delays at the French Prosecutor's Office I should make my position clear.

I completely deny the claims made against me and have fully co-operated with the Police investigation.

A number of independent witnesses have given evidence and have told the Police that I was subjected to verbal harassment and an unprovoked assault when an individual tried to hit me with a chair having taken violent exception to my look and my clothing. For these reasons I have commenced proceedings for defamation and the threats made against me.

However, I fully accept that the accusations made against me have greatly shocked and upset people.

I must take responsibility for the circumstances in which I found myself and for allowing myself to be seen to be behaving in the worst possible light. I only have myself to blame and I know that I must face up to my own failures and that I must work hard to gain people's understanding and compassion. To start this process I am seeking help and all I can hope for in time is to address the personal failure which led to these circumstances and try and earn people's forgiveness.

I have fought my entire life against prejudice, intolerance and discrimination having been subjected to it myself. In all my work my inspiration has been to unite people of every race, creed, religion and sexuality by celebrating their cultural and ethnic diversity through fashion. That remains my guiding light.

Anti-Semitism and racism have no part in our society. I unreservedly apologise for my behaviour in causing any offence.

Comments

1. Christopher says

“A lot of public antisemitism by well known people lately. What’s up with that? Even Julian Assange has gotten in on the act.”

No, there has been a lot of reported anti-semitism by famous people lately. In the case of Sheen and Assange the charges don’t hold up.

2. Kayla says

So is he going to actually apologize for saying he wished those women had been murdered or “gassed” like their forefathers….or isn’t he? Does he still love Adolf or not?

3. Latebrosus says

Delete the first three paragraphs and the word “any” in the last sentence. Works better that way.

I want a job editing celebrity apologies. My God, I could retire in 2-3 years!

4. ratbastard says

@Christopher,

Sheen, yeah, maybe. Not Assange. I’ve read what he said, and it’s unquestionably anti-semitic, specifically anti-Jewish.

5. Kyle G. says

So this guy goes to jail for saying what he saidin France, but in the U.S we all applaud our court allowing people to have signs at the funeral of gay people who died that read “You’re fag son will burn in hell now”

The problem with gays is…we think that harrasment of every other group (including those who believe in fairy tales in the sky) trump our own harrasment. When we are violently assaulted, there’s gays who will defend the attackers. I understand those gays are self loathing and hate the idea of being gay, but it’s still amazing to me that the Phelps clan is applauded on here and this guy is going to jail.

That’s not only double standard….that’s just the stupidity of the human race.

6. Teapot Tempest says

I assume he spoke in French, so really, how much offense can be taken? I mean who can understand angry French? All the words run together.

7. SteveC says

he’s made some vile comments. And he has apologised.

Well it’s a start.

Has Natalie Portman (who was quite vocal in her condemation of Galliano) been asked to explain her support of convicted child rapist Roman Polanski, yet?