Lady Gaga | News | Nicola Formichetti | Thierry Mugler

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Lady Gaga Walks Mugler Runway, Previews New Track

Gaga_mugler

Lady Gaga previewed a new track called "Government Hooker" at the Thierry Mugler fashion show in Paris today. She took on the persona of, well, a hooker?

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. LOVE, love, LOVE!

Posted by: Zac | Mar 2, 2011 5:10:49 PM

2. What a coincidence! This morning I had several female friends ask if they knew were they could spend several thousand dollars on outfits that exposed their entire breasts---because there are just so many events where you could wear them---and Thierry has come to the rescue!

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 2, 2011 5:19:55 PM

3. I hearts it!

Posted by: allan | Mar 2, 2011 5:22:24 PM

4. Incroyable !

Posted by: Édouard | Mar 2, 2011 5:25:19 PM

5. @PaulR, I always think the same thing whenever I see runway shows: Why would anyone where that?? And where?

Someone who I regard as being more in tune with that sort of stuff told me once that the clothing at fashion shows aren't typically meant to be worn as is. They are meant to challenge the limits of fashion and be used as platforms for other, more wearable designs.

Posted by: Austin | Mar 2, 2011 5:45:19 PM

6. yummy.

Posted by: deedrdo | Mar 2, 2011 5:50:27 PM

7. I watched 1:15 of that. I could not take any more. I guess it's because I'm a gay male.

Posted by: Teapot Tempest | Mar 2, 2011 6:15:23 PM

8. They are called fashion "shows" for a reason. It is meant to be a show. The clothes really aren't going to be worn by most people, but will likely share similar design elements to more practical pieces of the designer's collection.

Posted by: Stephen | Mar 2, 2011 6:19:25 PM

9. There is NOTHING in this world that can't be made better with 7" heels and zombie boys!

Posted by: booka | Mar 2, 2011 7:43:25 PM

10. I really like GaGa but I fear that she might have jumped the shark. Whereas she seemed postmodern before, now she just seems retro (Madonna). I still love her message but I hope her music and art take a more refreshing direction. If you want to see the true successor to Madonna check out Beth Ditto's video for "I Wrote The Book". Luv it. http://www.youclubvideo.com/video/159792/beth-ditto-i-wrote-the-book-official-music-video

Posted by: james in toronto | Mar 2, 2011 8:43:27 PM

11. great set for a fashion show.

Posted by: gregg | Mar 2, 2011 9:19:31 PM

12. Yeah it's just like concept cars at auto shows. They never make it to actual production, but aspects of them do.

Posted by: poison | Mar 2, 2011 9:19:39 PM

13. I like it a lot more than Born This Way. It has a very new wave, almost gothic-industrial sound to it.

Posted by: Xtab | Mar 2, 2011 10:03:07 PM

14. Wow. So the the "best album of the NEXT decade" sounds like the past. First Vadge.

Now the Human League?

Tired. SO tired. Fail.

Posted by: Brion | Mar 3, 2011 12:04:03 AM

15. Madonna can only wish she had half of Gaga's talent. Gaga is the Queen of Pop now. Even Piers Morgan admits it. Madonna is so old and washed up that we can expect her to take a gun, hold it to her head, and pull the trigger.

Posted by: LittleMonsterJoey | Mar 3, 2011 12:38:10 AM

16. God, I love to read this stuff in Towleroad. There's nothing funnier than old queens trying to stop Gaga with sassy comments.

She was awesome, (she did it even better than the models) and the track is pretty good.

Posted by: KT | Mar 3, 2011 12:41:11 AM

17. Mugler seems to be taking his inspiration from 1920's Coco Channel designs. If you're going to borrow, borrow from the best. Different materials but many of the same types of designs.

As to Gaga's participation, it's pure genius. From a marketing standpoint, having her involved is a move of "monstrous" proportions. She's the hottest thing around right now and now so too is Mugler. The whole style of the event, the symbiosis of music, design and presentation was perfect. It couldn't have been planned better...

Posted by: Robert In WeHo | Mar 3, 2011 1:03:53 AM

18. I love how people who know absolutely nothing about fashion, feel the need to comment on it.
    The show was fun, but the clothes are as mediocre as the men's collection was. If Gaga wasn't involved, with the massive hype she brings, no one would be talking about it.
    Nicola Formechetti is a stylist, not a Haute Couturier like Mugler, who really was a genius in his day. The house of Mugler will never be what it once was. There is nothing Coco Chanel about these clothes, and the comparison is just laughable really.

I liked the snippet of Government Hooker they played though. Much better than Born this way.

And here's a note to the "little monsters": Slagging off Madonna, and her massive achievements does not make Gaga look better. It makes you looks petty, jealous and frankly stupid. There's a reason why EVERYTHING Gaga does is compared to, and viewed through a prism of what Madonna has already done and achieved. Her influence on Gaga is obvious to all, which is why the media is always talking about it.Gaga doesn't even deny it, and always talks about how huge a Madonna fan she is. So why the lame ageist snark?

Gaga has been massive for about 3 years now. Madonna has been massive for about 30 years and counting. That's why she's the Queen of pop. Gaga has a long way to play catch up, and hasn't even begun to be tested yet.

Posted by: michael | Mar 3, 2011 4:52:18 AM

19. Actually, it seems like Gaga has revived Mugler's career. I thought he'd retired, but she mentions him all the time and has done him many favors by previewing new songs at his shows. He hasn't had a hugely known collection in many years.

As for the staging and clothes, it was fashion as performance art more than most shows (which isn't new to Mugler). I realize that most runway clothes never get worn (see: couture, which has basically died except by/for extremely rich women), but I'm not sure the audience could even see most of the clothes. It was pure spectacle. And if weren't for Gaga, it wouldn't have attracted half as much attention.

@KT: not sure where you get your amusement. This is one of the few comment sections on Gaga where there's little hate.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 3, 2011 5:00:07 AM

20. Can't wait to see the new Mugler collection for JC Penney.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Mar 3, 2011 6:27:00 AM

21. girls Mr.Mugler is retired. Nicola Formichetti is the designer/creative director for Mugler now. So stop talking about Mr.Mugler ripping off things here and there.

Posted by: Joachim | Mar 3, 2011 7:01:32 AM

22. @ Michael

THANK YOU!

Posted by: Chris DaChocolatebearcub | Mar 3, 2011 8:18:38 AM

23. I LOVED it.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 3, 2011 9:31:27 AM

24. What is that song "How does it feel.....to treat me like you do....." so this is her 90s goth song? Also, to use an assassinated president as a sex object in your song is........well, poor taste. And of course we all remember Iman with cigarette in mouth doing this same thing in a Mugler show in the 80s. Sorry lil munsters, she is too pervasive, and is falling. Madonna indeed had time to think and plan. It was a different time. In today's 24/7 media this girl's time is inevitably shorter because she can't focus on the most important thing: the music.
    I mean, no one even paid for her to get out of that "Twitter death" thing, so her sales are questionable and I thought she was funny at first, but now it is just sad. Like Alice Cooper asked, Is she going to wear a Lionel train set on her head next? lol

Posted by: Zazu | Mar 3, 2011 1:54:24 PM

25. Thierry Mugler hasn't been relevant in fashion for years. His affiliation with Gaga will certainly turn things around for him. Pre-Gaga, I think his perfume business was the only thing keeping him afloat.

And for those you are interested, a VERY steroided nude pic of Mugler made the rounds a few years back: VERY NSFW!

Posted by: scrufff | Mar 3, 2011 4:09:27 PM