Baseball | Gay Slurs | GLAAD | Gloria Allred | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Atlanta Braves Coach Apologizes for Homophobic Remarks

Bat

Atlanta Braves pitching coach Roger McDowell issued a statement following yesterday's news conference by attorney Gloria Allred and a father accusing McDowell of using anti-gay slurs and gestures at a recent game.

Mcdowell Said McDowell: “I am deeply sorry that I responded to the heckling fans in San Francisco on Saturday. I apologize to everyone for my actions."

TMZ reported that in addition to asking a group of male fans "Are you a homo couple or a threesome?," McDowell made anti-gay gestures:

Mega-attorney Gloria Allred announced the allegations moments ago in a news conference -- representing a family of four (including two 9-year-old girls) who claim they watched McDowell make the homophobic remark and then use a baseball bat to simulate gay sex.

According to Allred, the family claims they also witnessed McDowell tell the group of male fans, "Are you three giving it to each other in the a**?"

Allred demonstrated with the bat. Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

The Braves are investigating

Commissioner Bud Selig called the allegations “very troubling” and said in a statement Wednesday evening he will determine how to proceed after the Braves complete their investigation and report to him.

The Braves expressed their concern about the allegations in a statement Wednesday “and the behavior described by a witness today. This in no way represents the Braves organization and the conduct we expect of our employees. We will withhold further comments until we finish gathering information.”

Said GLAAD President Jarrett Barrios in response to the accusations: “McDowell’s apology is a start, but the Atlanta Braves and Major League Baseball must take real disciplinary action and send the message that anti-gay slurs have no place in sports. Professional sporting events should be an environment that all fans and families can enjoy, not a place where children are exposed to violent threats and discriminatory language.”

Comments

1. I used to be a HUGE Braves fan until I realized what a bunch of right-wing, Southern Baptist bigots most of them are. John Smoltz, and then John Rocker, and their homophobic and Christianist proclamations were the final straws.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Apr 28, 2011 10:36:38 AM

2. He's sorry "that" he responded, but not "how" he responded. Because there apparently was nothing particularly wrong about the content of his response. So if he made the mistake of responding again today, he'd still spout the same hateful bigotry?

Why don't people just apologize for real anymore?

Posted by: justme | Apr 28, 2011 10:47:58 AM

3. Well, at least he didn't use the word "if". "I apologize *if* anyone was offended."

Posted by: K | Apr 28, 2011 10:49:29 AM

4. I'm sorry, I just can't stand that ambulance chasing whore.

Posted by: james | Apr 28, 2011 11:03:31 AM

5. Seems to be a pattern here. Make a homophobic remark then apologize for it. Make a homophobic remark then apologize for it, and on an on ad nauseum... leaves me with the impression they don't really mean it.

How about thinking first before you speak, and NOT say something stupid. You won't have to apologize for anything. What a concept!

Posted by: mytwocents | Apr 28, 2011 11:53:55 AM

6. Ah, Gloria Allred again. She'll take up any case as long as it gives her face time.

Posted by: Ioann | Apr 28, 2011 11:55:06 AM

7. That ambulance chasing whore was one of the first lawyers to take on the same sex marriage cases in California.

Posted by: Astro Boy | Apr 28, 2011 11:58:08 AM

8. Another concept...

The time for tolerance is over. It's time that Major League Baseball celebrates us for who we are. Really, they should go as far as look after us.

There's a push for the San Francisco Giants to make an It Gets Better video. It would be amazing if every team in baseball, basketball and football made one. Professional sports has fallen behind, and they would be wise to avoid being looked at as an embarrassment in the eyes of the future.

Posted by: SFNative | Apr 28, 2011 12:03:39 PM

9. My understanding is that McDowell has pulled this stuff before. He hides underneath on the bench during the pre-game bullpen fan meet-n-greet. When a fan says something he doesn't like, he pops up and starts talkin' smack. And he doesn't back down.
    It's sad that it takes a persona like Gloria Allred to get the press to finally pay attention.

Posted by: Go Galt. Please. | Apr 28, 2011 12:03:59 PM

10. Kudos for JUSTME's remark posted above. I noticed the same thing. McDowell's followup blathering certainly was not an apology, but more like the ever-popular typical "I'm deeply sorry I got caught."

Posted by: WebHybrid | Apr 28, 2011 12:40:14 PM

11. Whenever these homophobic cretins play in San Francisco, they think it's their Christianist duty to say something disgusting to the fans about what a faggot city San Francisco is. I mean, after all, that's what you're supposed to do when you play the WORLD CHAMPION San Francisco Giants. You're supposed to make fun of their fans.

I'm glad Gloria Allred is making a big deal about this. It is a big deal. Let's hope that Bud Selig sees it the same way and actually does something about. MLB needs to send a message and Roger McDowell is going to be the messenger.

Posted by: Ninong | Apr 28, 2011 12:55:48 PM

12. I wish people would quit running to Allred, she makes cases like this look like a side show. It's like having Trump as your Presidential candidate.

Posted by: lankyguy | Apr 28, 2011 1:32:55 PM

13. Lanky guy, I think the reason they run to Gloria Allred is because she's one of the few attorneys who will take cases like this without an upfront retainer and her notoriety and ability to make it a big deal with national exposure pretty much guarantees that she will get a financial settlement for her client.

I'm usually not a fan of Gloria Allred either but it's nice when she's pushing something that I agree with. And in this case it's a two-fer since I'm also a Giants fan.

You go, Gloria! Stick it to the Braves!

Posted by: Ninong | Apr 28, 2011 1:42:52 PM

14. wtf my comment disappeared :(

Posted by: Kenny | Apr 28, 2011 2:57:44 PM

15. I just fell out of my chair laughing... sorry. BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Apr 28, 2011 8:16:07 PM

16. @Kenny: I've learned this site has filters in place that simply delete your post if you swear or use other choice keywords even in a well-meaning context. Just stick to general dictionary language to avoid this.

Posted by: Drew | Apr 28, 2011 10:38:58 PM

17. Grr lol Okay @ Drew thanks for letting me know.

K now Ill make a new one I think hes a bigoted jerk plain and simple.He claims he has gay friends but if he had gay friends he would not be this insensitive and hateful to begin with.

Posted by: Kenny | Apr 28, 2011 11:00:47 PM

18. They need to fire this hateful, bigoted wingnut - or share his reputation.

Posted by: wimsy | Apr 29, 2011 2:19:39 PM

19. Something about watching those two go at it with the baseball bat made me laugh.
    That circle of fingers could be any orifice representing either sex, so I suppose only an accompanying narration can reveal what (and on whom)the phallus is supposed to be penetrating.

Posted by: GregV | Apr 30, 2011 12:55:09 AM

20. Braves Coach can simulate anal sex with a baseball bat in front of Thousands of Children and get a measley $500 fine? This is COMPLETLY INSUFFICIENT.

If this is the extent of the action taken by the Atlanta Braves, then they do truly condone this kind of behavior - they own it!

Either fire the Coach and reinstate the original $20,000 fine, or NO MORE BRAVES GAMES!!! and

* * * No More Buying Advertizers' Products! * * *

Posted by: customartist | May 1, 2011 1:41:32 PM

21. He was just suspended two weeks without pay and fined an undisclosed amount (supposedly a big amount) by MLB itself. Glad that they stepped in, although personally, I think he should be fired.

Posted by: Francis | May 1, 2011 1:51:06 PM

22. Why is HOMOPHOBIA & BASEBALL so connected in ATLANTA???? BUCKHEAD BASEBALL harassed & blocked me; a law abiding GAY CROSSDRESSER simply for walking on the public sidewalk , in a city of Atlanta public park! And the city still hasn't done anything to punish them. (A FEDERAL HATE CRIME) YouTube 'BUCKHEAD BASEBALL' & read the comments section for the full disgusting story. AND COCA-COLA is a "proud major sponsor" of that homophobic hate group! BOYCOT COKE!!!

Posted by: ChrisCrossdresser | May 13, 2011 10:02:35 PM