Gay Stories | LGBT Stories | Nathan Manske | News

BigGayDeal.com

LGBT Stories: Mixed Race Gay Couple Faces Challenges And Triumphs From Within Family

Jeffrey Jonathan TR

NATHAN MANSKE

Guestblogger Nathan Manske and Marquise Lee just finished a 4 month, 50 state tour of the United States collecting stories for their I'm From Driftwood site. We'll be sharing some of the stories they collected along with some of the insight into what they saw. They're still encouraging people to submit their written stories via IFD.

Driftwood We met Jeffrey and Jon just a few days before Jeffrey's grandmother, who's mentioned in the story, came to visit. As they explain in the video, Indian culture and attitudes towards LGBT people are quite different than American culture so I was dying to know what happened when she visited. Jeffrey sent me an email informing me how the night went, along with the photo below, after the jump:

The long and short of it is, Jon came with me to our family dinner (kids and spouses) with Dadi (Grandma). Jon was clearly my companion at dinner. Not much was said to highlight us in particular but more than anything we were accepted and not questioned (which is the greatest gift in my mind in ANY relationship). She came to our house, got the tour, then plotted my marriage to an Indian woman for when I was 'ready'...HAHAHAHA!

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Recently in this series...
Peter Paige Remembers His Perfect Kiss with Apollo [tr]
Wasilla Teen's Coming Out Results in Slashed Tires [tr]
Journalist Wants People to Remember Matthew Shepard's Life [tr]
Alan Cumming Discusses Childhood Crush on Elton John, Media's 'Coming Out' Obsession [tr]
A Repressed Memory of a Traumatic Gym Class and an Abusive Father [tr]

Jeffrey Grandma

Comments

1. can't watch this cause an ad keeps on coming up.

But it seems good!

Posted by: Rowan | Apr 19, 2011 1:57:51 PM

2. NIce.

Indian men are devastatingly good-looking.

Posted by: Danny | Apr 19, 2011 2:17:15 PM

3. This may sound ignorant, but I've spent a month in India and work with tons of Indians, and looking at these photos it took a while to determine which guy is Indian.

Indians are Caucasians, so this is less a story of mixed race than mixed culture.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 19, 2011 2:45:29 PM

4. Indian Jared Leto?

Posted by: D_D | Apr 19, 2011 4:14:18 PM

5. Paul R: I've spent a month in India myself and I have plenty of Indian & South Asian friends here in the States. They really do come in all shades.

It really depends on what part of the country you are talking about and what heritage. There are tribal populations of India, for example, who are thought to have come from Africa thousands of years ago and they are as dark as Africans.

And for the record, dude above is apparently 1/2 Indian. He talks about his dad being from India. So that probably explains why he doesn't look "stereotypically" Indian. His mom is from "the South"...by which I guess he means the southern US.

Anyway, I watched the video and they seem like a really sweet couple and they had some great messages about the meaning of family and about parents accepting who their children love. BRAVO, GUYS!

Posted by: redball | Apr 19, 2011 5:42:15 PM

6. ROFL at the part where he switches to an Indian accent describing what his dad said on the phone.

I hope dadi had a great time. Im just confused at "Daniels" as a sur-name for someone who's dad is from India. Whats the story there?

Posted by: suede | Apr 19, 2011 7:02:51 PM

7. They're not mixed race: Indian people are Caucasian.

Posted by: Danny | Apr 19, 2011 7:41:32 PM

8. Suede, I don't think he means that; I think he means the South of India--where the people are much darker. Yum...

Posted by: Danny | Apr 19, 2011 7:43:07 PM

9. Hi guys! Thanks for the comments and support. It is a little confusing regarding my ethnicity. Dad is from india- momma is from the states- hence the skin color ;)

Posted by: Jeffrey | Apr 19, 2011 8:34:21 PM

10. Yay! Hey Jeffrey.

Just for the record: I said "thousands" of years in my last post when it's probably more like "hundreds." (I felt compelled to do some fact-checking....)

Posted by: redball | Apr 19, 2011 8:56:47 PM

11. Cute picture. Grandma looks like a little sweetheart. Cute story.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 19, 2011 9:34:28 PM

12. I just love that comment;Indians are not mixed race: Indian people are Caucasian.

So that states it. No wonder to us Black folk some ya'll harbor such anger and hatred. We're actually the only minority...LMAO!

Tell that to a W.A.S.P that indian is caucasian and see the reaction.

Posted by: Chris DaChocolatebearcub | Apr 20, 2011 1:14:47 AM

13. Most so called 'wasps' are ignorant, so their opinons about this do not matter.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Apr 20, 2011 11:19:36 AM

14. I also thought it was unnecessary to called them a 'mixed-race couple' regardless of whether they are all caucasian or not.

Posted by: Gabe R L | Apr 20, 2011 11:21:50 AM

15. Yea the mixed-race heading threw me off a bit. Nobody is really going to pay them any attention walking down the street...they just look like two basic white dudes.

When my black ass is walking down the sidewalk holding my ginger boyfriend's hand, I can tell you all about that mixed-race-ness.

Posted by: RafiD'Angelo | Apr 20, 2011 12:46:22 PM

16. Greetings,

Harlem Stage, an arts venue located on 135th & Convent Ave, would like to invite you all to join us for the short film "Marriage Equality" followed by a community discussion.

Marriage Equality by Thomas Allen Harris

Tuesday, April 26; 7:30 pm; Aaron Davis Hall

Harlem Stage brings the national debate about Marriage Equality for same-sex couples to Harlem with the world premiere of award-winning filmmaker Thomas Allen Harris’ new documentary short, “Marriage Equality: Byron Rushing and the Fight for Fairness.”

This pioneering film documents how State Representative Byron Rushing, a straight LGBT civil rights ally, fought successfully for same-sex marriage in Massachusetts. The film provides an in depth look at the issue of Marriage Equality from the perspective of communities of color.

Following the screening, Washington Post Editorial writer and MSNBC contributor, Jonathan Capehart, will moderate a community dialogue, featuring a distinguished panel and YOU, the Harlem Community.

Learn More:

Please contact me with any questions. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you.

***
    Regards,
    PennyMaria Jackson
    Marketing Assistant
    Harlem Stage / Aaron Davis Hall, Inc.
    150 Convent Ave. ( at W. 135th St.)
    New York, NY 10031