Awards | Brokeback Mountain | Jake Gyllenhaal | News | Reba McEntire

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: CMA Hosts Blake Shelton and Reba McEntire Mock Jake Gyllenhaal with Gay Joke

Blake_reba

On the 46th Annual Academy of Country Music Award telecast last night, hosts Blake Shelton and Reba McEntire had the audience roaring with laughter with a 'wink wink' gay joke about Jake Gyllenhaal.

McEntire: "What in the world was Jake Gyllenhaal thinkin' anyway, [to break up with Taylor Swift?]"

Shelton: "Wait a minute. He was in Brokeback Mountain."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Yes they are very rich hick-sounding people...but honestly, it was a joke...we really must liven up and laugh at ourselves sometimes.

When I first heard it I felt infuriated...but then on second thought...I thought...that was funny.

So...everyone...relax, have a laugh, and let's learn to get along, even with them Country music people.

Posted by: Arturo Beeche | Apr 4, 2011 10:47:16 AM

2. u know - I'll FIND it EASIER " to Laugh at OURSELVES" once WE HAVE EVERY RIGHT THEY HAVE!

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | Apr 4, 2011 10:58:06 AM

3. Consider the source...southern Republican bigoted rednecks! Time to start a country bonfire with all those country CDs...LOL

Posted by: CB | Apr 4, 2011 11:14:55 AM

4. Calling it lame and homophobic isn't enough. We need to make our feelings known. Zero Tolerance. This casual ridicule creates a climate of intolerance, and gives comfort to the haters. I say NBC should reprimand him or fire his ass from The Voice. He is slated to be their M.C. No way will I watch this piece of slime. Call for a boycott! Raise hell. They are spamming twitter with this bullsh!t. At least let GLAAD know. I think this deserves a response.

Posted by: Jelly | Apr 4, 2011 11:28:23 AM

5. What weird responses. We all know if either Kathy or Chelsea had made this joke (for the 100th time each), we'd be laughing right along with them (while also pointing out how dated the joke is).

I don't know anything about Shelton but Reba is definitely a gay icon in huge parts of the country. This wasn't a mean-spirited joke or an off-limits topic. In fact, in just the last couple of weeks a number of the gay sites have had several clips and quotes from Jake about his sexual orientation (many of them humorous). Jumping on these two when this is an obvious topic of conversation and humor is just petty.

And those of you who chose to express your outrage by making snide comments about their accents or "rednecks" are doing us much, much more harm than any joke they could tell at the CMAs.

Posted by: Chris | Apr 4, 2011 11:28:39 AM

6. I agree with many of the commenters here, that the "joke" wasn't so much offensive per se as it just was kinda obvious and overdone.

However, I think the reaction we're seeing on here is due to context. If a few of the drag queens on RuPaul's Drag Race had said something like this, we wouldn't think twice. But because people we normally associate with homophobia did, we are all up in arms. Not sure if I have a point here, but just wanted to throw that out there.

Posted by: Austin | Apr 4, 2011 11:31:00 AM

7. F*ck Reba, seriously. She has shown herself several times now to be just as bigoted and rude as any of them. Blake Shelton isn't important enough to be mad at.

Posted by: CW | Apr 4, 2011 11:31:27 AM

8. I expected better of Reba so I'm a little disappointed. I agree with some posters that it was only a joke and not meant as malicious or demeaning; it was to boost Swift's star, nothing more. However, it's still a lame joke and considering the bullying tragedies that have happened in the last year it's not something we should shrug off so easily.

Posted by: terry | Apr 4, 2011 11:38:08 AM

9. I want Kathy Griffin to host these awards so that she can make jokes about inbreeding and bad teeth.

Let's see how hard they laugh then.

Posted by: Frank | Apr 4, 2011 11:42:37 AM

10. Okay honestly that comment wasn't even bad.... he DID star in the movie.... every body is toooooo freaking politically correct now a days.... and yes I am a gay guy... and I thought it was cute....

Posted by: Greg | Apr 4, 2011 11:48:52 AM

11. I think the idea behind the joke is that Jake's private life is mirroring his character's life in the movie. At least you need to know the plot to get the joke.

Posted by: anon | Apr 4, 2011 12:04:13 PM

12. It wasn't particularly homophobic (relatively speaking), but it was lame and unimaginative.... much like most of the music and lyrics of today's "country music", which is basically pop-with-a-twang. Give me Hank Williams, Sr., Patsy Cline, and all the others *any day*.

Posted by: Justin L Werner | Apr 4, 2011 12:05:02 PM

13. Weak, inane.

Posted by: db | Apr 4, 2011 12:06:15 PM

14. I think it's best to be mindful of the story of the boy who cried wolf. If we get upset about every little itty bitty thing, nobody's going to take us seriously when we have a complaint that warrants attention. Anyway, I didn't read it as homophobic...it's situational humor. Not terribly funny, but nothing to get up in arms about.

And, just as a gentle reminder, it might not hurt to step back and look at some of the generalizations being made on this comment board about country music and the people who listen to it, guys. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Posted by: David | Apr 4, 2011 12:21:17 PM

15. What I always find interesting is the standard male country performer costume is tight jeans, tight tees and cowboy boots. Methinks they doth protest too much.

Posted by: jerry | Apr 4, 2011 12:23:36 PM

16. Reba McEntire is an ugly, redneck hillbilly just like most of the attendees of this awards show. Why are people surprised that she's as thick as pigshit?

Posted by: SteveC | Apr 4, 2011 12:26:58 PM

17. hicks

Posted by: rob | Apr 4, 2011 12:30:34 PM

18. um, im not offended at all. in fact, i think it is pretty funny. tasteless? yes. but not that bad. and i'm pretty sure reba is supportive of the gay community. and it is very likely that there were plenty of gay men behind the scene. which is not to say that the country music industry is gay friendly.

Posted by: bostonbeat | Apr 4, 2011 12:35:50 PM

19. The joke was lame, not offensive.

The real joke is Reba's facelift-contorted face.

Posted by: allan | Apr 4, 2011 12:38:49 PM

20. Not really a laugh riot, but I can't get too incensed. It wasn't in and of itself derogatory to gays. Some folks will take it that way (as either funny or homophobic), others won't Stories about Gyllenhaal on this and other gay blogs attract pages of comments, most equally snide and unfunny, about his orientation. It's a shame that neither we nor they have anything better to talk about.

Posted by: Bill | Apr 4, 2011 1:01:59 PM

21. Odd that this has generated more comments than the Republican Texas dude who actually used the word "fag." Add me to the list of people who don't really see what the big deal is about this. It was a just a jab, and yes, Gyllenhaal WAS in Brokeback Mountain, so why the uproar? It wasn't particularly a good joke, but I don't think it was meant in a slanderous way. And amen to the person who said if Chelsea Handler or Kathy Griffin would have said the same thing, we'd all be making comments like, "Lol it's true!" I'd save the vitriol for things that actually aim to be offensive.

Posted by: finkles2000 | Apr 4, 2011 1:13:09 PM

22. Unrelated to the Gyllenhaal joke, but they showed Nicole Kidman covering her face when they mentioned her and the camera was turned on her. She does this at every awards show. She glams up, sits on the front row, and then acts shy and embarrassed whenever anyone notices her. She's been in the spotlight a long time, so time to lose the blushing ingenue bit.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Apr 4, 2011 1:13:18 PM

23. WTF.....that was HARMLESS...perfectly harmless, a typical, lame award show 'Joke'.

40 plus response posts to this story? That's the real joke.

Posted by: ratbastard | Apr 4, 2011 1:17:20 PM

24. Tacky, lame, and definitely not funny...and crossed the line..........I believe it's generally ok to poke fun at oneself, but that doesn't give an "outsider" license to do so.

Posted by: irisgirl | Apr 4, 2011 1:17:36 PM

25. The only good country song to come out recently was "Save a horse ride a cowboy." Actually as someone who live near Nashville I can tell you that the country music scene is *full* of closeted men and women, absolutely *full* to the brim.

Posted by: Chris | Apr 4, 2011 1:20:16 PM