News | Thomas Dekker

Thomas Dekker: I'm Open to Relationships with Men

Thomas Dekker talks about his sexuality with OUT magazine:

Dekker “I’ve only really had relationships with women, but I’m certainly not closed to it. If there are possibilities of being able to do anything in life, why would you say you would never take any up? In the later chunk of my teen years I was so all over the place with sex. It was terrible. I never really had a real relationship at all. During puberty, it’s all about sex, and it’s all about figuring yourself out. I think I overdid it when I was younger.”

Dekker also explains the controversy several years ago during his run on the NBC show Heroes, when his character was supposed to come out but didn't. Dekker says it was because he had been playing his character straight and they sprung the change on him with no warning:

“I went through the f**king roof! If you’re going to have a gay character on your show come out and be a pioneer for kids, I would’ve liked to play that from the get-go from my perspective. I went to set and said to the writers, ‘I really wish that it wouldn’t have been five hours before I come into work that I get this news that [the character] I’d been playing for the last 12 episodes knows and is comfortable with the fact that he is gay. Because I would’ve played this very differently.’ But I said I’d do it, and then a couple hours later the creator, Tim Kring, showed up and said, ‘No, no, no. We’re going to change it [back to him being straight].’”

Dekker plays Lance Loud in HBO's Cinema Verite, which looks at An American Family, the groundbreaking 1973 PBS series that introduced reality TV to America, a show that also gave viewers a glimpse at Lance, TV's first openly gay character.

Watch the trailer for Cinema Verite (which premieres this Saturday), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Hmm, I never thought his character on Heroes was all that straight. I had thought from the beginning he would come out.

Posted by: jack | Apr 21, 2011 4:29:30 PM

2. SO hot in Sarah Connor Chronicles and KABOOM! Love him!

Posted by: Christopher | Apr 21, 2011 4:40:53 PM

3. His celebrity coming out is going to be complete torture. I wish he'd just quit the games and come out already. He could be part of James Duke Mason's "Courage Campaign". The Heroes thing was a complete wreck. I remember during the heat of it all a friend of his posted a video of Thomas dancing at a a friends house...it was to Spears or Madonna or something and he was flaming out ( I don't mean that derogatory, he was totally comfortable in the video). His people had the friend yank it down.

Quit the crap.

Posted by: Mike | Apr 21, 2011 4:42:09 PM

4. "..a show that also gave viewers a glimpse at Lance, TV's first openly gay character."

You do know that "An American Family" was a documentary, yes?

Posted by: lookyloo | Apr 21, 2011 4:44:28 PM

5. Thomas you're the star of Greg Araki's latest movie. That means you're automatically Bi!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 21, 2011 4:48:23 PM

6. This guy waffles on his sexuality more than anyone else in the last 10 years. Just that fact alone annoys me about him. Sure he's cute and maybe even talented, but being so wishy washy makes him a jackass in my eyes.

Just like Mike said, Come Out or Don't but quit the crap.

Posted by: Liam | Apr 21, 2011 5:09:01 PM

7. I agree with Mike; his coming out is going to be torture. I think most people in LA that have had any interaction with Thomas know he is gay. It's not like he tries to hide it (besides on interviews like these). Frankly I think it's a bad PR move. It's almost as bad as Clay Aiken denying his was gay. What a mess. In contrast look at Chris Colfer. He is a PR darling with true star power. He just sold a pilot to Disney.

Posted by: Jay | Apr 21, 2011 5:19:13 PM

8. By "I would have played the character differently if I'd have known he was gay," I wonder if he means "I would have swished it up a little."

Posted by: Kendall | Apr 21, 2011 5:52:53 PM

9. LOL, Kendall! One wonders. I like to think that he means something more subtle, i.e., just being in tune w/ the truth of your character, which influences what you intuit about him and the nuances of what you do as you live and breathe him--but nothing so obvious (and stereotypical) as adding a little swish! But who knows :-).

LOVED HIM on Sarah Connor Chronicles. I think he's kind of a hunk and it's so cool to know he's homoflexible...mmmmmm.

Posted by: redball | Apr 21, 2011 9:57:30 PM

10. O ma gah, just read the other posts and if you guys are right then I guess he is not just "homoflexible" but actually G-A-Y.

*runs to post office to fill out boyfriend application*

Posted by: redball | Apr 21, 2011 10:28:20 PM

11. PS: that's a horrible pic of my husband up there, Andy! Boo :-)

Posted by: redball | Apr 21, 2011 10:48:07 PM

12. Actually, the first openly gay character on American TV was Daniel Sereno (Daniel Massey) on The Roads to Freedom. Then was Steve on All in the Family in 1971, followed by The Corner Bar's Peter Panama (Vincent Schiavelli) in 1972.

Posted by: LightningBoalt | Apr 21, 2011 11:07:53 PM

13. His character on Heroes was never straight...

He left the show because he got a better deal.

Posted by: Talisman | Apr 21, 2011 11:47:53 PM

14. please....enough with the wish fulfillment nonsense. being "open" means nothing. the guy is straight. nothing wrong with that, but can we please stop trying to make gay guys out of straight ones? it smacks of self-loathing and frankly, in 2011, it is embarrassing.

Posted by: ronoliver | Apr 22, 2011 1:45:35 AM

15. yawn. who cares. but good for him.

why be embarrassed tho, RO. u didn't say anything. if people want to ogle a celeb, great. at least he calls himself a friend.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Apr 22, 2011 2:06:00 AM

16. CV looks alright, dunno yet. Is his statement an attempt at buzz? Oh yeah, he's maybe celeb-crushworthy, but I haven't seen anything to swoon over yet. I think he's attractive enuf anyway. And gay/straight/bi whatev bc...he TOTALLY gets bad-ass points for playing opposite Mink Stole already.

Posted by: just_a_guy | Apr 22, 2011 3:01:14 AM

17. He's a cutie and would be a welcomed addition to our family.

Posted by: Kyle | Apr 22, 2011 10:43:18 AM

18. Jeez anyone who saw him perform with packs of drag queens many times in SF over the past year didn't doubt for a second. He is gay all over.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 22, 2011 6:33:48 PM

19. What? On Hero's his part was played and was gay from day one, scene one. The "Cheerleader" came out to him as a "super" and it was clearly implied that he had come out to her during their relationship, regardless if it was shown specifically in a scene or not.

Posted by: Dave | Apr 23, 2011 10:51:47 AM

20. You guys are funny. "Coming out will be harder for him"? LOL. How do you even pretend to know what goes on in someone's head or how this person feels? It's strange when gay people ask for equality, tolerance and respect but they simply can't wrap their heads around sexuality being more than either black or white.

Posted by: stranded | Apr 23, 2011 9:51:40 PM

21. Okay The actor himself says he is open to dating men and that he was "all over the place" with sex when he was younger. These are not heterosexual comments, so whether he is bi or gay I think it is safe to assume he isn't straight. And it isn't "wishful thinking" that makes me believe such, its paying attention to what the actor said. I personally don't care one way or the other. I also resent stranded saying gay people cannot wrap our heads around sexuality being more than black or white because I am gay and I believe sexuality is a sliding scale! Some people are bi but prefer the opposite over the same and vice versa! There are all kinds of sexualities and everyone needs to stop trying to fit each other into a box! Spread the love!

Posted by: Jimmy | Dec 28, 2011 4:40:15 PM