Darren Criss | Glee | Music | News

BigGayDeal.com

Listen: Darren Criss and Glee's Dalton Warblers Cover Keane

Blinddate_criss

A new track from the upcoming Warblers album has hit the web, a cover of Keane's "Somewhere Only We Know".

Above, a random screenshot of Criss' appearance some time ago on an MTV Networks dating show.

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via ew music mix)

Comments

1. I love "Glee"...but they're making all of my favorite karaoke jams cliche!

Posted by: Lucas | Apr 5, 2011 2:35:06 PM

2. Lucas, so true, but really, if it weren't for karaoke cliches, how would Glee fill the whole hour, because from what I've seen, it ain't with riveting plots.

(For the record, I hate Glee. =) On paper, it should be everything I love, but something about it just rubs me the wrong way.)

Posted by: Austin | Apr 5, 2011 3:17:07 PM

3. sucks ass...just like everything the Warblers touch. Keane should sue.

Posted by: marica | Apr 5, 2011 3:27:01 PM

4. I must confess to having a crush on Darren Criss. He's a really talented actor and singer. He plays the guitar and piano. And
    he's a darn good songwriter - listen to his "Not Alone" on YouTube.
    And, yes, he's really cute with an adorable smile.

He can do no wrong in my book. But I am biased.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Apr 5, 2011 3:30:52 PM

5. Why so much engineering? In general, I find the music from Glee is oppressively uniform, the voices having had most of their individuality and expressiveness stripped away and replaced with this unreal, metallic perfect pitch. It's rigid, inflexible, and as homogenous as motor oil.

I've no objection to artifice per se, but the consistently synthetic nature of the sound has become a monotonous fetish having little to do with drama, poetry, or music. It's pure in the same sense as fast food - everyone knows exactly what to expect from it, and its undeviating mediocrity never disappoints.

No guts, no soul, no risk, no humanity doesn't strike me as an admirable style. It's pure Product®.

Posted by: Bryan | Apr 5, 2011 3:52:58 PM

6. I remember, a very long time ago, someone once asked Berry Gordy Jr. what Diana Ross was like as a person. His reply has been downplayed over the decades, but it went like this: "Diana Ross? Diana Ross isn't a person. Diana Ross is a product." Agreement on this is quite debatable, to say the least.

Posted by: Beau | Apr 5, 2011 4:49:12 PM

7. Darren Criss is not Diana Ross.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Apr 5, 2011 4:55:26 PM

8. Sorry but my teeth grate every time I hear the Warblers. Too packaged, too bubblegum. I'm hoping Darren Criss is 10 minutes into his 15-minute window of fame.

Posted by: Kevin | Apr 5, 2011 6:27:16 PM

9. Darren Criss is not Diana Ross? Hmmm. The year is 2024. Darren Criss is starring in Balsa, a movie about a male fashion designer who has an affair with a female photographer. While shooting the "dripping candle wax on himself at a party" scene, he breaks out into Teenage Dream. Oh Miss Criss, such a risk-taker.

Posted by: Pamela Strangeways | Apr 5, 2011 7:22:45 PM

10. Well they did the best they could with what they had to work with. A cover can't be totally awesome with such weak source material. Whiney college rock is so irritating, but Keane should be happy for the exposure at least. I'd never heard of them before.

Posted by: moike | Apr 5, 2011 9:24:46 PM

11. The arrangement and production are embarrassing.

Posted by: Chip | Apr 5, 2011 10:03:36 PM

12. Darren Criss is awesome and has a very soulful voice! He's one of the most adorable actors on TV right now, and I can't stop watching for some reason :-)

Posted by: Ty | Apr 5, 2011 10:14:52 PM

13. Ryan Murphy is the perfect example of a soul-less no-talent who is pushed down our throats by the media. It's not Darren's Criss's fault that the plots characters and the whole package of GLEE is devoid of real substance,

Posted by: Ray | Apr 6, 2011 1:09:44 AM

14. The Warblers are almost all voiced by the Tufts University "Beelzebubs". They are a world class talent of a capella performing and arranging and have been for years. Darren Criss is a beautiful powerhouse of a performer and a real friend to the LGBT community.
    He is certainly not bad to look at either. Did you see the "OUT" pictorial?
    Sorry that some of you don't care for Darren and the Warblers. There is no accounting for taste.

Posted by: Larry | Apr 6, 2011 1:10:15 AM

15. @Bryan,
    What you're hearing is Hollywood: pure pop, shallow content, with every note overly polished with a diaper soaked in tarnoff. On the one hand, they do make a very very very professional sounding sound. On the other, it's pablum meant to rake in the masses. You can hear the same sound at any of the rock clubs on Sunset, where overly produced bands are struggling for a juicy contract. That's the Hollywood culture.

Posted by: Wilberforce | Apr 6, 2011 1:49:50 AM

16. Glee is fabulous, the plots are funny, the dialogue clever -- and cantankerous old buss-farts probably shouldn't watch it.

Posted by: wimsy | Apr 6, 2011 10:10:34 AM

17. Love Glee. Love Darren. Love the Warblers. Yes, it's bubblegum, but it's well-performed bubblegum.

Frankly, I'm delighted that Glee has encouraged an appreciation for choral music... particularly in an American culture that could benefit from a reminder of the value of public school music programs. If listening to Glee opens one's mind to the point that they'll then consider listening to Chanticleer, the Dale Warland Singers, or those wonderful Robert Shaw recordings, then it will have been worth it. Look what Pavarotti did with those almost-unbearable pop collaborations... he exposed a whole generation of music lovers to opera. Same thing here. The shallow end of the pool might not be where you wanna stay forever, but it's a quick and easy move to deeper waters.

Posted by: The Milkman | Apr 6, 2011 12:10:42 PM

18. Agreed, Milkman.

My expectations for each song would be very different if releases were occasional, but given that this is a "serial," I'm willing to just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Posted by: KJ | Apr 6, 2011 12:35:04 PM

19. Hmmm. Have we actually gotten to the point in our struggle for acceptance that we actually have started hating on the very medium that makes being gay (effeminate even) socially acceptable to the future generation?
    You can hate the music, but it comes across as vitriol from sad, self-hating trolls.

Posted by: Brian | Apr 6, 2011 1:22:19 PM

20. Can't stand the show, if only Sue Sylvester wasn't attached to the horrible that is this American Idol drama. I would totally watch whatever Jane Lynch played a sporty coach in :)

Posted by: Nick | Apr 6, 2011 1:35:30 PM

21. I love Glee. The show has done so much for this community. I'm an older fan and I purchased the VIP tour package to see them on tour in Chicago. If I actually get to meet Darren Criss I will have died and gone to heaven.

Posted by: Kevin | Apr 6, 2011 8:16:35 PM

22. I watch the show from time to time and I think the problem that a lot of those commenting are trying to express is:"GLEE" LACKS SOUL.

Posted by: Fat Queer | Apr 7, 2011 4:29:41 AM

23. Just once I would like to see a plot that requires the Warblers to sing in shorts, sans shirts, or bathing suits. There's some damn fine beef under those ridiculous blazers. And Criss rocks.

Posted by: Rick | Apr 7, 2011 6:46:51 AM

24. Some of these comments take the term" the best fishermen are on shore" to a whole new level.And how can you hate on Darren, he has been a friend to lgbt issues has a great voice and plays his character wonderfully.But haters gonna hate because it's the only thing they know how to do right.

Posted by: David | Apr 14, 2011 12:18:34 AM