"Ex-Gays" | Malaysia | News

Malaysian Authorities Send 66 Teen Boys to Gay 'Cure' Camp

Malaysian authorities have sent 66 boys to a four day reparative therapy camp to "cure" them of the gay, the AP reports:

Malaysia Gay rights advocates decried the measure as a symptom of widespread homophobia in this Muslim-majority country where gay sex is illegal.

The boys between 13 and 17 years old reported Monday for what is officially being called a "self-development course" after their schoolteachers in Terengganu state (in red on map) identified them as students who displayed effeminate mannerisms, said Razali Daud, the state's education director.

They will undergo religious and motivational classes and physical guidance, Razali said. He declined to give further details.

The camp is meant "to guide them back to the right path in life before they reach a point of no return," Razali told The Associated Press. "Such effeminate behavior is unnatural and will affect their studies and their future."

Malaysia sends 66 teen boys to anti-gay counseling [ap]

Comments

1. what a eff'd up situation - in a society thats Segregated - its no wonder, the men are all over each other and ONLY with each other majority of the time.......Religion = the poison of mankind

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | Apr 19, 2011 8:10:18 AM

2. omg that is so suck --and will f**k up those kids' heads for a very long time.

The UN needs to step in.

Posted by: Danny | Apr 19, 2011 8:12:54 AM

3. Those damn Malaysian Christians, I mean Muslims, I mean...at what point can we blame people for intolerance instead of books?

Books don't send people to gay camps, people do.

If we stopped shifting blame outside ourselves for bad behavior and started owning our frailties and making individuals accountable for cruelty and evil we would get a lot farther in removing this behavior from society.

Religion never made me gay bash and I read from the same books as many of these jokers. I could even say that it was my religion that made me tolerant of gays and love gays. Does that make my religion good?

I think individuals choose what they take from books, art, song, etc. It is with individuals that any blame for cruelty or praise for kindness should rest.

Posted by: Rin | Apr 19, 2011 8:20:10 AM

4. This is such an embarrassment for my country.

Posted by: ST | Apr 19, 2011 8:30:42 AM

5. Only one thing gonna happen at a camp with 66 gay teen boys, and it ain't 'curing' either.

Posted by: Alec | Apr 19, 2011 8:41:50 AM

6. I wonder if they can CURE the need for food and oxygen.

Posted by: SONNIE | Apr 19, 2011 8:47:44 AM

7. ALEC,

you are absolutely right. The stupid public official talks about "effeminate behavior"--that means that only young queens were sent to this concentration camp. (Obviously, masculine acting gay boys don't touch off the rador of these fools--but that's always been the case).

The idiots don't know that a queen is at his strongest when he's in his mid-teens. Nothing short of the threat of death will take away a young queen's adoration of female icons. They will still be doing their impersonations of Beyonce and Britney Spears at this stupid camp.

I just pray that when the authorities witness the resiliency of these feminine boys they won't resort to torture....kinda' unrealistic hope, aint it?

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 19, 2011 8:59:13 AM

8. A prime example of a country with a state-sanctioned religion that indoctrinates its citizens into one-way of thinking/acting/worshipping at the absolute expense of individual thought/action/freedom. A disgusting situation in any and all countries that control their countrymen in this manner. And, they're many of them.

Posted by: Rob | Apr 19, 2011 9:25:56 AM

9. this doesn't reflect how the country perceives our LGBT community,ministers and leaders have stepped up to protest,albiet under the cover of a more politically-acceptable tone,homopobia is rampant in Malaysia but mostly amongst the idiots.

Posted by: nikolai | Apr 19, 2011 9:40:09 AM

10. You know there is a film about this...."Butch Camp" was it called?

Posted by: SSCHIEFRSHA | Apr 19, 2011 10:48:16 AM

11. @ Rin:

Sorry but Islam is basically the state religion there. Just as 'Indonesia' supposedly practices 'a more moderate form of Islam', Malaysia is creeping into the same kind of fascistic society. It's totally about religion. it's what inspires people to do these things or at the very least what it uses justifies them.

Posted by: Religion | Apr 19, 2011 11:19:25 AM

12. On the surface, this sounds terrible - depending on the treatment these teens will receive ... on the other hand, at 13, I could have tolerated a lot of abuse if it afforded me the opportunity to meet over 60 other like-minded teens. The Malaysian government is unwittingly allowing these boys to make life-long friends who will be undergoing the same treatment. When these boys become men, they will have a ready-made community - a force to be reckoned with!

Posted by: TJ | Apr 19, 2011 11:39:52 AM

13. This could seriously result in crimes against humanity, i.e., torture. Human Rights Watch and the UN really, really need to step in. I agree with the posters above who say that is entirely on the cards when these kids don't "respond" to "treatment."

If I knew how I'd start the referral process myself.

Posted by: Danny | Apr 19, 2011 11:40:35 AM

14. this is a torture camp. it has to stopped by the UN.

Posted by: yonkersconquers | Apr 19, 2011 12:35:36 PM

15. Please don't give the backward state of Arizona any ideas!!!!

Posted by: TonyJ | Apr 19, 2011 12:37:46 PM

16. What determines whether a boy is too "effeminate"? Never understood that one. Effeminacy does not necessarily mean "gay". There are some effeminate straight men. More bigotry disguised as religion.

Posted by: jamal49 | Apr 19, 2011 2:53:19 PM

17. Malaysia has long been known as hating gays. This comes as no surprise. Hopefully the boys will rise up over their keepers.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 19, 2011 2:58:30 PM

18. @RELIGION

I hear what you are saying, but that is just too easy an answer. It is, ironically, "the devil made me do it".

Islam, for example, has over 600+ laws like Judaism, this is selective administering of their religious doctrine based on PERSONAL prejudices that men have--in fact, I'd say it is not religion but misogyny which spurs homophobia against men.

Gay men who are "femme" receive repulsion from straight males and eyerolls and "don't be a stereotype" from gay males. This is across the globe.

It's not lesbians they are sending to gay camp in Malaysia or killing in these nations. It is because men aren't acting the way they want "men" to act. In fact, if you speak to Muslims in Muslim nations many of them do not even acknowledge lesbianism. They don't get what lesbians "do" for sex because to them sex involves penetration by an organ.

I'm not saying that religion isn't part of the equation, certainly--its that excuse people have to justify their personal feelings. Like bad cops who act like dicks can use "the law" to justify their behavior and racism.

I just think the problem of homophobia and cruelty is deeper than people give it credit for.

Posted by: Rin | Apr 19, 2011 4:01:27 PM

19. Well I can certainly scratch Malaysia and Malaysian Airlines off my holiday list. I might show affection to my partner of 15 years and get thrown in some religious camp. I know it doesn't reflect the views of the entire country but to sanction this sort of treatment of young people in any form is nauseating.

Posted by: James | Apr 19, 2011 6:23:20 PM

20. Queen, you can be butch and still be gay. HELLO? I hope the boys can make it through this and support each other.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | Apr 20, 2011 1:23:23 PM