Comments

1. Dastius Krazitauc says

So, is he keeping the slogan or ditching it now?

As for the anything gay being against “nature” argument, so is making teens wait until they’re older and married to have sex. Nature is screaming at them to have sex around 12 or 13 years old, when it equips them with hormones, labidos and functional sex organs.

2. Bart says

Pshew! I’m so thankful we have Ricky Santorum. Because for a while I was living in Yugoslavia, then Belize, and also Iceland but my house never moved. I’m glad he’s making America America again, because I was so confused about where we really were and then maybe I’ll get my mail again.

What an idiot. On every level. Hey Ricky, is that America you want to bring back the one before the Emmancipation Proclamation? Before civil rights? Maybe when women couldn’t vote? How about when all homosexuals stayed in the closet, not just the repressed, gay Republican politicans.

He’s a weasel.

3. Dastius Krazitauc says

Joe in CT, would you believe “labido” is a sex drive involving lots of kissing, a fusion of “libido” and “labia”? No? How about a misspelling of libido?

4. Hue-Man says

Is it unkind to observe that Santorum has got himself in deep doo-doo? Did I say that?!

5. Jim Green says

Stupid move. He could have just said that the wording was sufficiently different from Hughes’ poetic line that it wasn’t the same. The two phrases are a little different. Hughes isn’t the only person to have called for America to be America again.” Fighting to Make America America Again” isn’t a direct quote of “Let America be America again.” I personally don’t think either Santorum’s slogan or Hughes poetic line (taken in isolation) is very interesting. If America is no longer America, then it was never America to begin with. That’s why Hughes’ subsequent line in his poem is much more interesting, and must be considered as well: “America never was America to me.”

6. Dan says

“the folks who worked on that slogan…”

I’m tired of Obama using the word folks.
    Now, Ricky is, too.

I guess marketers are now folks.

7. Luminum says

‘He further clarified: “The folks who worked on that slogan for me didn’t inform me that that’s where it came from, if in fact it came from that.”‘

Oh right, I forgot. Even though we live in a technological age where people can type letters into computers and get entire poems in seconds, we ALSO live in a political age where it’s better to not take those seconds and just behave as though facts have the possibility of also not being true.

“I didn’t say that water is wet, if it actually even is wet…”

8. Go Galt. Please. says

Oh, dear. Ricky gets caught in the headlights again. ‘Nobody told me!’ is not a good way to start the campaign.

9. Reality 101 says

Which America ?
    The one with slavery?
    The one where gay citizens were institutionalized?
    The one where women could not vote?
    The one where children worked in factories?
    The one where the KKK marched down Penn Ave in the thousands?
    The one where it was legal not to sell homes or lands to Native Americans?
    The one where most people lived in poverty?

10. Paul R says

@Jim Green: couldn’t agree more. The phrase is brief, common, and not a direct lift of the original. Just a meaningless phrase coined by some inane PR firm or campaign staffer.

@Dan: Thank you! This has been a HUGE pet peeve of mine for a long time. I’m sure that Obama’s advisers tell him to use “folks” to make him seem more in touch with “average” (in every sense of the word) Americans, but it rings hollow. It’s also the language Bush II used. I so wish Obama would stop saying it. I know that Americans are threatened by cerebral politicians (since, of course, why would we possibly want intelligent leaders?), but they can also recognize cloying attempts to seem like an average Joe.

11. Flipper says

W/ that line

He’s really showing us his leadership abilities.

12. wimsy says

Please PLEASE somebody stage a debate with Romney, Santorum, Huckleberry and Trump. I’ll make the popcorn!

13. Hollywood, CA says

See, Frothy Discharge, things like this will continue to happen as long as you try and destroy the GAYS. Remember, not all of us are out in the open, like ninjas.

CROUCHING POOF, HIDDEN HOMOS!