Alanis Morrissette | Andrew Cuomo | Deaths | Gay Marriage | Lady Gaga | Maryland | Michelle Bachmann | Minnesota | News | Proposition 8 | Tom Brady | Transgender

BigGayDeal.com

News: Io, Tom Brady, Maryland, Dharun Ravi, Orgasm, Bill Hunter

Road "Long and polarizing" marriage campaign in store for Minnesota.

Road19-year-old Dharun Ravi enters "not guilty" plea to 15 charges in Tyler Clementi case: "Ravi, of Plainsboro, was silent throughout the court appearance, which lasted less than 10 minutes. Clementi's parents and brother sat in the back of the courtroom for the brief hearing."

Hunter RoadPriscilla actor Bill Hunter dies.

RoadTom Brady weeeeees down a water slide.

RoadObama agrees to form joint security body with UK.

RoadGender Rights Maryland launches on Facebook: "The purpose of Gender Rights Maryland is to promote civil rights, education, tolerance, equality and acceptance on the basis of sex and gender identity/expression in the State of Maryland. Gender Rights Maryland’s initial legislative goal is to see the passage of a comprehensive gender identity anti-discrimination bill by the end of the 2012 legislative session."

RoadWATCH: Gaga's Google Chrome commercial.

RoadHigh school student who challenged Rep. Michele Bachmann to debate the Constitution gets rape threats, fears for safety.

Io RoadColor composite of volcanic eruption on Jupiter's moon Io.

RoadL.A. Times: Positive trend in same-sex marriage polls could bode well for federal challenge to Proposition 8. "There have been at least five national polls since last year that have shown majority and growing support for gay marriage rights. In the most recent, a Gallup survey on values and beliefs found that 53% of Americans support the right of gays and lesbians to legally marry."

RoadListen: Alanis Morisette releases new song.

RoadAir France 447: Flight recorder indicates pilot not in cockpit during critical moments. "Whatever the case might be, the frozen speed sensors put the pilots in a precarious situation: At this altitude, they would have had to maintain a very precise speed to prevent the plane from stalling. Pilots have dubbed this dangerous flight condition 'deep stall.' 'If the plane can't make a recovery, it plummets at breakneck speed,' explains Jean François Huzen, an Air France captain and union representative for pilots."

Orgasm RoadOrgasm a whole-brain experience.

RoadMale model fix: Justin Hopwood.

RoadThe WSJ on Cuomo's NY same-sex marriage push: "At the moment, Mr. Cuomo is holding firm to his original plan. The administration is trying to pass a bill before the end of session in June, but is waiting to advance a bill in the Senate until more votes are secured. 'It's a continuous push to get this done before June 20,' said a Cuomo official."

RoadAuthor calls for boycott of all heterosexual weddings: "How utterly absurd to celebrate an institution that I am banned from in most of the country. It puzzles me, truth be told, that wedding invitations deluge me. Does a vegan frequent summer pig roasts? Do devout evangelicals crash couple-swapping parties? Do undocumented immigrants march in Minuteman rallies?"

Comments

1. The weddings boycott thing is stupid (and not an original idea anyway). His comparisons are nuts...how does a close friend who supports your right to get married compare to someone who prefers pork, a devout Evangelical or a Minuteman supporter? I'm surprised the Times would publish such poorly thought out comparisons. I'm supposed to skip my sister's wedding, even if she votes for marriage equality and gay rights? Makes NO sense.

It DOES make sense, however, to call up anyone who asks you to their wedding to ask their thoughts on marriage equality and how important the issue is to them/what they do to support it.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | May 23, 2011 4:24:51 PM

2. "It puzzles me, truth be told, that wedding invitations deluge me. Does a vegan frequent summer pig roasts? Do devout evangelicals crash couple-swapping parties? Do undocumented immigrants march in Minuteman rallies?"

Rich Benjamin's analogy is false. Vegan's don't go to pig roasts because they don't believe in eating meat. Evangelicals don't go to key parties because they don't believe in free love and open relationships. Undocumented immigrants don't go to Minuteman rallies because they don't believe in being hunting down and turning in undocumented immigrants.

For his analogy to be correct, gays wouldn't go to heterosexual weddings because they don't believe in heterosexual weddings.

But that's generally untrue. They don't believe in being EXCLUDED from the institution of marriage, not that they disagree with heterosexual ones. All Benjamin is saying is tantamount to "I can't get married, so I'm not going to go to YOURS." Someone is ASKING you to celebrate THEIR union. They're not asking you to come to an anti-same-sex marriage rally.

I think it is best if heterosexual couples keep in mind that their own happy day is worth celebrating, but that it is also one that not everyone they love and have invited is allowed to experience legally. But being heterosexual and getting legally married doesn't and wouldn't mean they disagree with same-sex marriage. That's absurd. Likewise, having a baby or adopting one wouldn't be an endorsement of anti-same-sex parenting or anti-same-sex adoption.

It would only be an issue if they invited gay friends and family, all the while disagreeing with same-sex marriage and simultaneously flaunting and espousing that marriage is something everyone should consider, knowing full well that some of their guests could never have that opportunity with our current legal system.

One of the best things I read was an advice column that responded to a question from a heterosexual couple who were considering abstaining from marriage until same-sex couples could have it too. The columnist suggested that they indeed go through with their ceremony. It helps no one to abstain, but if they cared strongly enough, they could request donations to a fund or program to support same-sex marriage in their invitations or place holders or request that their wedding gifts be donations to those organizations.

Posted by: luminum | May 23, 2011 4:27:17 PM

3. Yes, his analogies are false, but otherwise his reasoning stands. True friends will understand your absence; the ones who pretend to not understand how you can choose THEIR wedding to make a stand never really believed in your right to marriage to begin with.

Posted by: Christopher | May 23, 2011 4:38:27 PM

4. I've supported same sex marriage by voting for it, and agreeing to be the officiant at a friend's wedding. Anyone can be an officiant for a day with a license, and I felt like it was something I should do for them and so that I can tell people at my church that having a close friend marry them instead of the priest was sort of crappy.

The thing is that everyone can get married, the issue is that only male and female can have the Federal Government recognize it. So maybe we protest the Federal Government in some meaningful way like having just a church wedding (which gays can do) and NOT having it sanctioned by the FG.

I'd be more than willing to do that, to make the double point that the government can't stop love.

I don't need any government to tell me who my life partner is.

Posted by: Rin | May 23, 2011 4:57:04 PM

5. When anyone does something unexpected - like turn down a wedding invitation, or decide to "wait to get married" - it gets people talking. And that's EXACTLY what we need in order to move this issue forward. The idea to boycott weddings until marriage equality is passed isn't new at all, but I believe it makes sense.

@Rin: The government can't stop "love" but they can stop access to the protections, privileges, and rights that hetero families are afforded - and, quite frankly, that's often more significant that people's feelings about "love". I think we all have a bunch of hetero friends who don't care who we "love", but aren't about to do a damn thing to make sure we have the rights and protections they feel entitled to. True or not?

Posted by: mike128 | May 23, 2011 5:11:59 PM

6. It amuses me that the Male Model Monday link comes (pun intended) right after the orgasm article.

Posted by: ravewulf | May 23, 2011 5:47:13 PM

7. I think the boycott is a great idea. What really sickens me are the celebrities and others who flaunt their entitlement by having multiple cerememonies and renew their vows every year.

Posted by: meercat | May 23, 2011 5:50:19 PM

8. What a shame about Bill Hunter, I always like spotting him in Aussie flicks ("Oh hey, its THAT guy! He's in everything!"). He was a great versatile actor and looked like a genuinely nice guy who was probably a lot of fun to hang out with.

Posted by: NaughtyLola | May 23, 2011 5:57:45 PM

9. So, is Michelle Bachman going to come out and tell her followers to stop intimidating this high school student? Or is she too busy trying to have a picture taken with gay celebrities like Chris Colfer?

Posted by: woodroad34 | May 23, 2011 6:34:38 PM

10. hey michelle if you can't beat em you threaten and intimidate them. threats sure beat being shown up as a dummy. this is the right wings solution to everything.

Posted by: walter | May 23, 2011 7:38:24 PM

11. Tom Brady needs to cut that damn hair. His body still looks GREAT though.

Posted by: Kris | May 23, 2011 8:33:24 PM

12. It's as if the wedding boycott guy got the idea for his illogical comparisons from his MSNBC interviewer, who said something like: "Well, I'm allergic to shellfish, but that doesn't mean I won't go with my friends to a clambake."

Neither one of them seems to get it. The federal government doesn't tell her she's not allowed to hold a clambake because she is a woman and it doesn't tell female vegans they're not allowed access to the meat shop store because of their sex. It does tell him that his marriage will not be allowed access to the same benefits as his neighbor's marriage because of his spouse's gender.
    This cannot be compared to anything a person is legally as free as anyone to do but chooses not to.

I do think that mixed-sex couples have a role to play in making statements with their own relationships.
    Brad and Angelina have taken a stand by telling others that they refuse to take advantage of rights that are denied their gay friends.

Posted by: GregV | May 23, 2011 9:22:03 PM

13. Meercat:

Wow, so renewing your vows is "faulting entitlement?" Should people refrain from doing anything that someone else might not be able to do? I mean seriously...

I, for one, proudly accepted the position of "best man" for my friend's wedding on Labor Day. I'm not going to take out my anger on my friend, who supports my rights. That won't do anything. The government won't give a damn if I don't go to his wedding.

Posted by: Jack | May 23, 2011 11:44:40 PM