9/11 | Mark Bingham | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Mark Bingham's Mother Reacts to News of Bin Laden's Death

Hoagland

Meredith Vieira spoke this morning with Alice Hoagland, the mother of gay United Airlines Flight 93 hero Mark Bingham about her reaction to the news that Osama bin Laden has been killed.

Said Hoagland: "This is a very strange and bittersweet day..."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

EARLIER REPORTS...
Watch: Hillary Clinton Statement on Death of Osama bin Laden [tr]
Watch: Interviews at the White House Rally Celebrating Bin Laden's Death [tr]
Dick Cheney Congratulates Obama in Statement on Bin Laden Death [tr]
Video: Inside the Compound Where Bin Laden was Killed [tr]
Bin Laden Buried at Sea; Hoax Death Photos Emerge [tr]
Video: Fire at Bin Laden Compound During Raid [tr]
Breaking: President Announces Osama Bin Laden Is Dead [tr]

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

1. Mark Bingham's name will live forever as a hero....

Bin Laden's name will be among the horror stories of the ignorant and the fanatics.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | May 2, 2011 11:36:55 AM

2. What a great interview with Alice Hoagland.

Posted by: tim | May 2, 2011 12:28:05 PM

3. I will always allow Alice whatever latitude she feels around this because I'll never truly know the emotion...

So with respect I say, I felt as though it was a stumble to say, "liberal groups' were complicating the legal process.

Our process is complicated, frustratingly so as we all know, but it is our process & is intended to be slow so as to protect everyone & secure its position of authority & integrity.

To title that aspect "liberal" is simply incorrect.

Posted by: Pete n SFO | May 2, 2011 12:35:53 PM

4. Bittersweet is the word. I am sure we all have all kinds of feelings and emotions when thinking this.
    My heart also goes with Alice. Mark with other passengers are heroes.

Posted by: Matt26 | May 2, 2011 12:39:54 PM

5. "Details" are what any trial is about. She should take that statement back and keep gODD out of it. That is entering the realm of extremism that originally started this hate.

Posted by: ewe | May 2, 2011 12:42:48 PM

6. I wonder if the victims who are politicizing this aren't sort of saying in an indirect way that this may be nice but it doesn't bring their loved one back

Posted by: Nick | May 2, 2011 1:26:09 PM

7. Thanks for sharing this, Andy. I've met Alice at three Bingham Cups and I think she's a great lady.

Posted by: RobRob | May 2, 2011 1:58:48 PM

8. I don't think it required a trial to show BL guilty.

Posted by: anon | May 2, 2011 2:36:46 PM

9. President Obama killed Osama and the racist old lady can't take it.

Posted by: jacob | May 2, 2011 2:41:47 PM

10. The lady is solid.

Posted by: 207guy | May 2, 2011 7:24:55 PM

11. I've had great loss in my life and not a single day goes by when I don't remember them. Certain times of year like beautiful summer days or holidays can be particularly melancoly. I'm sure the same is true for Alice Hoagland and others who lost loved ones @ 9/11 or any other time. But losing a child, even an adult child, under such conditions, is so painful.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 2, 2011 8:38:09 PM

12. Wow. I lost respect for her today.

Posted by: Randy | May 2, 2011 9:05:53 PM

13. Wow. I gained respect for her today.

Posted by: ratbastard | May 2, 2011 10:08:16 PM

14. Wow. I've always had respect for her and I still do.

Posted by: Nanny McBone | May 2, 2011 10:52:52 PM

15. What a HORRIFIC makeup job! FRIGHTENING!

Posted by: chris dachocolatebearcub | May 3, 2011 8:09:03 AM