Missouri | Nature | News | Tornado | weather

BigGayDeal.com

Mindblowing Photos of Joplin, MO Street Before and After Tornado

Joplin1

If the devastating power of this tornado wasn't apparent already, check out these before and after views of a street in Joplin, Missouri.

According to photographer Aaron Fuhrman, "This is E 24th between Kentucky Avenue and Grand Avenue."

(aaron fuhrman flickr via buzzfeed)

Watch a clip of the damage from the air, AFTER THE JUMP...

Joplin2

Comments

1. I am amazed there were not more deaths. Where is one supposed to go to escape something like this? Do these houses have storm cellars?

Posted by: Jay | May 24, 2011 11:44:58 AM

2. while this is obviously Tragic in MANY WAYS....I've kinda lost my Empathy/Sympathy for numerous reasons:
    1) a Majority of these people dont beleive in Global Warming,and are more then happy not too.
    2) they always vote against thier own interests ie: outa fear
    3) MOST LIKELY - More then HALF that TOWN would VOTE AGINST MY RIGHTS As an american in a heartbeat....so is it mean, yea kinda...but I can't help it....Im tired of being on the defensive with these wackjob GOP and Right wing fake religionists.

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | May 24, 2011 11:46:04 AM

3. I heard on the radio yesterday that many of the houses were built in the 1960's when, apparently, there weren't a lot of cellars built.

As far as Disgusted Gay American's post ... I've kinda lost my empathy/sympathy for intolerant, generalizing gays.

Posted by: VinciSmetana | May 24, 2011 11:57:19 AM

4. Dude, this is way beyond politics. Way beyond. I don't care how they vote, or whether they believe in global warming. Would this be more tragic if it had happened in Greenville, Mass? Honestly... the only appropriate response to this is to find it appalling and heartbreaking on every level.

Posted by: The Milkman | May 24, 2011 12:04:26 PM

5. How do we get Harold Camping the Rapture fraud guy to donate ALL of the millions he stole to this disaster?

Posted by: Jeff | May 24, 2011 12:13:30 PM

6. Hey Disgusted Gay American your statement is as short sited as the right wingers blaming disasters on gay people. Have a heart here people are in the middle of a disaster try and take a moment, empathize and then see if you still agree with your post.

Posted by: Jeff | May 24, 2011 12:15:50 PM

7. Joplin, Missouri, has 1 or 2 gay bars, a Gay and Lesbian Center, and they were making plans to host their own Pride before the tornado struck. (Sometimes it is helpful to google before you run your mouth off)

But I'm sure all of them are GOP wackjobs who deserved to have their town destroyed. "Disgusting" would be a more appropriate name for you.

Posted by: nodnarb | May 24, 2011 12:17:02 PM

8. To the Milkman: Thanks for telling us all what's appropriate, Commander. Per your orders, I will find it appalling and heartbreaking on every level. Because our minds are a police state for you to control.

Posted by: DelPotroFan | May 24, 2011 12:19:16 PM

9. @DISGUSTED GAY AMERICAN who says that everyone in this town is a "wackjob GOP right wing fake religionist [sic]" Your narrow-mind and hate is just as bad as the group you are complaining about and generalizing against.

Posted by: FernLaPlante | May 24, 2011 12:22:30 PM

10. did I not say this was Very Tragic on many levels - of course it is...! The problem,especially WITH Americans...is short memories....you could send a delegation of 100's of LGBT people there to HELP in every aspect of clean-up and recovery....and a yr or 2 later all is back to normal....then another year or 2 goes by.....and an anti-gay something or other comes up on the ballot....and surprise, the majority of them would be voting for it....just sayin.

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | May 24, 2011 12:30:29 PM

11. ..and I did not say EVERYONE in that town was a wackjob right winger

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | May 24, 2011 12:31:39 PM

12. Still waiting for Pat Robertson to let us all know what these people did to deserve this.

Posted by: Jerry | May 24, 2011 12:33:30 PM

13. @Disgusted Gay American

"just sayin."

That's the problem. Instead of "sayin" anything, you're better off rereading all of the responses to your initial comment until you get it.

Posted by: VinciSmetana | May 24, 2011 12:36:55 PM

14. @Disgusted Gay American

I'm hoping that no-one judges the rest of the gay community based on your ignorant comments.

Posted by: Chad | May 24, 2011 12:52:49 PM

15. I'm with disgusted gay american.

Chances are the majority of Joplin's inhabitants are of the hateful Christian persuasion. Should have prayed harder instead of worrying about gays.

Sorry, but I'm not feeling empathy for the anti gays there who lost everything. I'm sure once they rebuild their ticky tacky homes and churches, aka tornado fodder, they'll go right back to good old homohating.

Posted by: Galore | May 24, 2011 12:59:51 PM

16. I lived in a tornado region, and it always bothered me that we were more interested in building up and out, than in building down. Most houses were just on a slab. Obviously underground living has its unique problems as well, but this isn't one of them.

Posted by: Randy | May 24, 2011 1:07:10 PM

17. ....well too bad if I hurt someones feelings.....I explained how awful this tradegy is..I understand that. are all these people anti-gay - Nooo of course not.....could u imagine tho, IF it hit say PALM SPRINGS During Pride...? Ohh the Thunderous Anti-gays would be shouting from the rooftops that its GOD's judgement blah blah blah.....IM was just expressing an opinion,and a feeling...am I tired of feeling angry -YES! I've been told by a few people, evene some family members...whats wrong..? You were always soo nice.....and its come down to me responding...."You know what, When YOUR RIGHTS and VERY existance as an american ARE BEING Attacked daily...maybe you'd understand" ..usually I get a blank stare back....

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | May 24, 2011 1:09:18 PM

18. @Disgusted Gay American

Posted by: Chad | May 24, 2011 12:52:49 PM

You know what Chad..the Time for being NICE is LOng OVER! I've had it. The old saying, how much things change, yet always stay the same......3 steps forward,3 steps back....see how you feel during the next 16months and the 2012 Elections...WHEN as usual - OUR VERY Existance / rights are Held up for Public scrutiny....TN just passed 2 VERY Anti-gay bills, MN Heterosexuals in 2012 get to VOTE on OUR RIGHTS, and what other state by then will have enacted anti-gay laws? Its just getting Harder and Harder to (turn the other cheek, when its been slapped so much)

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | May 24, 2011 1:16:54 PM

19. Here's a FRESh one for you CHAD....Hot off the Lousianna Press:

LA House panel rejects gay adoption bill

...and WHY is it rejected....A House committee has rejected a New Orleans lawmaker's bill that would allow two unmarried, same-sex adults to adopt a child together.

and WHY is that...? ..cause Heteros got to VOTE on OUR Rights as usual.

Posted by: Disgusted Gay American | May 24, 2011 1:28:47 PM

20. @disgustedgayamerican: Your first point is about global warming, that "these people don't believe in Global Warming."

Are you suggesting that if they did believe in global warming, the tornado would not have happened? Because if you are suggesting a causal relationship between their belief/non-belief, I'm missing the logic there.

No one, no one deserves to have this kind of destruction happen to them, for any reason.

Posted by: jpeckjr | May 24, 2011 1:35:02 PM

21. Ummm... myopic much?

Posted by: fedorajoe | May 24, 2011 1:44:42 PM

22. @Disgusted Gay American: Joplin's in the most conservative part of the state, so you're right -- they probably would vote against us. They do have a gay and lesbian center, though: http://www.facebook.com/JoplinPrideCenter. Reach out to them if you want to spare the town for the one righteous man.

Posted by: Runt | May 24, 2011 1:49:47 PM

23. So per your logic (a term I use loosely), all of California also deserves to be wiped out by natural disaster and its residents would get no empathy from you.

The reason people keep wondering what's wrong with you is not because you're angry or because your rights are threatened... it's because you're a huge d-bag.

Posted by: nodnarb | May 24, 2011 1:50:41 PM

24. When the area was prairie grass tornadoes had little impact. Now everything becomes a missile during a tornado and the damage exacerbated. These areas need special zoning.

Posted by: anon | May 24, 2011 2:38:41 PM

25. @Disgusted I agree. This is a case for guilt-free Schadenfreude if ever there was one. Enjoy!

Posted by: candide001 | May 24, 2011 2:52:38 PM