Baseball | Gay Slurs | News | Sports

BigGayDeal.com

Roger McDowell Returns To Baseball, Apologizes Again

Roger
Atlanta Braves pitching coach Roger McDowell returned from his two-week suspension yesterday, a punishment he received from Major League baseball for anti-gay slurs and gestures he made to fans at a baseball game in April.

McDowell has apologized for his remarks but did so again yesterday, this time in front of reporters.

Yesterday's apology in part:

“These past two weeks have been very humbling, emotional, and a reflective time for me and my family to better understand about what has happened. I have and will continue to learn from this and have committed to being a productive member of the Atlanta Braves organization and to this coaching staff. in addition, I would like to apologize to anyone who was offended by my actions. I am not proud of the way I acted and I know it will not happen again.”

Watch the entire videotaped apology and press conference, AFTER THE JUMP.

Comments

1. im impressed how the sports world has stepped on made these guys responsible for their words and actions.

Posted by: bostonbeat | May 14, 2011 9:25:42 AM

2. the sad fact is if he had made remarks about any other group, he would have been fired fortwith.

Posted by: Manfred | May 14, 2011 11:00:08 AM

3. Apology not accepted.

This sounds like a statement written by lawyers.

Why is it that he can't directly apologize to the GLBT community? He never said the words "gay" or "lesbian" in this statement.

Posted by: Steve | May 14, 2011 1:11:24 PM

4. Any "apology" with the words.."to whom I might have offended", or words to that effect, is NOT an apology. It takes the focus off the offender, and puts it on those "who might be thin skinned enough to be offended". This man should have been fired.

Posted by: Reggie | May 14, 2011 1:13:02 PM

5. He looks a little shell-shocked that anyone would be offended. The fact he was forced to give this "apology" represents some progress.

Posted by: austin | May 14, 2011 1:23:33 PM

6. I will accept his apology AFTER i get to insult him, his wife and children in a very, very nasty and disgusting way and then just say "oops, i'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you, I won't do it again".

ONLY THEN
    I will accept this apology.

Posted by: Marc | May 14, 2011 1:48:18 PM

7. I agree Roger you are indeed sorry... in many many ways.

Posted by: Michael | May 14, 2011 1:52:29 PM

8. He's only sorry he was forced to pay a fine, serve a suspension and make an apology. He's not sorry he simulated anal sex with a baseball bat in front of two 9-year-old twin girls and then threatened to knock their father's teeth out of his mouth with that same bat when he complained.

He's not sorry he told the girls' father that kids don't f'n belong at the ball park.

He's not sorry he used homophobic slurs to taunt guys in the stands that he perceived to be gay. That's just what those good ol' boys from Georgia do when they visit San Francisco. It's expected of them, or so this homophobic neanderthal thinks.

Crawl back in your cave McDowell.

Posted by: Ninong | May 15, 2011 3:14:34 AM

9. He is only apologizing for slurring straight people as being gay.

Posted by: Philo | May 15, 2011 4:37:00 AM

10. For those who don't accept Roger's apology... are you perfect? For over 25 years, Roger Mc Dowell has been a fan favorite for the 3 teams he pitched for, and as the Braves pitching coach, and especially on the road. In those 25 years, this is the first time he made a mistake... and he apologized. As an openly gay man, I accept his apology. I've been involved in gay sports for over 35 years... and sadly there are those from our community who are heterophobes. And the same goes for gay politics. I urge MLB and all sports to police their fans who use profanity,raciest or anti-gay slurs at other fans and player's too. And if they continue after being warned... they should be banned from the ballpark. I'm glad that Roger was not fired.

Posted by: Jerry Pritikin aka The Bleacher Preacher | May 15, 2011 7:18:12 AM

11. @Jerry, no I do not accept his apology. He did not apologize to gays, as far as I can tell. THAT is who he really slurred, not the father, not the twins, not the group of guys in the stands. He slurred gay people, by trying to belittle those in the stands by accusing them of being gay. I don't care if he's been around for 350 years in sports, these feelings have been pretty darn close to the surface all these years. Was he drinking? It would have been more excusable if had a six-pack of beer. Nope, this is Roger, stone-cold sober, and a total homophobe. Maybe he learned a lesson, but I doubt it. Maybe he prevented some other coach from saying something really, really dumb, but I doubt that too. Maybe this is progress after all...half an apology is better than none, I guess.

Posted by: millerbeach | May 16, 2011 2:46:03 AM

12. "anyone who was offended"? What, you're not sure your homophobic rant offended anybody? I'd say your suspension is evidence otherwise.

How about apologizing not to "anyone" offended, but to everyone who was offended.

Posted by: wimsy | May 16, 2011 12:45:08 PM

13. Forcing someone to apologize to keep their job is like forcing a kid to kiss his aunt with the mustache, or he's going to get a beaten. We all know he didn't want to do it, and doesn't really believe he should have been forced to do it. He should have been fired. That sends a clear message. This one says "you'll get a slap on the wrist." It's something just above nothing. Yay, progress.

Posted by: Hollywood, CA | May 16, 2011 4:32:28 PM