American Idol | Music | News | Steven Tyler

BigGayDeal.com

Steven Tyler Tried Gay Sex But 'Just Didn't Dig It'

Tyler

Steven Tyler writes about experimenting with men in his new memoir Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?:

"Gay sex just doesn't do it for me. I tried it one time when I was younger, but I just didn't dig it."

Comments

1. Absolutely reasonable. I tried straight sex when I was young but didn't dig it. I fooled around with a few straight guys who didn't pursue same sex attraction any further. I suspect this is very common.

Posted by: Jersey | May 17, 2011 12:26:54 PM

2. So homophobic to say this. He is speaking out, saying he doesn't like gay sex. Isn't our job as gays to insist that everyone like gay sex? Isn't that our political platform?

Posted by: BC | May 17, 2011 12:33:20 PM

3. BC:
    ^5

I mean, was there really a point to posting this particular morsel of information?

Posted by: Jerry | May 17, 2011 12:39:15 PM

4. I wonder what Ryan Sechrest's position is?

Posted by: justme | May 17, 2011 12:44:48 PM

5. Sorry, but this is far from being phobic. He's just saying he experimented and it wasn't for him - no big deal.

In a memoir you're supposed to tell your life story - and be truthful about it. In this particular situation it appears he's done that.

Posted by: jakeinlove | May 17, 2011 12:45:35 PM

6. I'm guessing "downward dog", Justme.

Posted by: Meijay | May 17, 2011 12:46:16 PM

7. *blinks at Steven Tyler*

*shrugs*

Okay, fair enough.

Posted by: Sonneillon | May 17, 2011 12:59:48 PM

8. More people should admit to it outright and de-mystify the whole thing. I had more than a few encounters in boarding school with guys who went on to lead heterosexual lives afterward but it was so hush hush. So I slept with you, and your roommate, and the guy down the hall, and all of you are straight and no one wants to talk about it?

Maybe they'll put it in a memoir...

Posted by: RafiD'Angelo | May 17, 2011 1:42:31 PM

9. This guy is a long-time major rock star and he makes a "no big deal" comment about trying sex with another guy but liked women better - no guilt, no nothing, just that he experimented like many many other guys have. For me, as someone who came of age right around Stonewall, the fact that this is no big deal is a really big deal to me as an indicator of how far we've come.

Posted by: greg | May 17, 2011 1:42:38 PM

10. The truth from a straight man who is extremely confident about his sexuality. As to Miss Ryan - The bottom of the closet.

Posted by: plaintom | May 17, 2011 1:48:14 PM

11. Thanks for sharing, Steven--I guess. His honesty might open minds among some of Steven's fans.

It would be more earth-shattering if a currently popular rapper/sex symbol came out.

@JAKEINLOVE--BC was being sarcastic, duh.

Posted by: dh | May 17, 2011 1:50:04 PM

12. Ryan Seacrest tried having sex with women, but they couldn't believe he was str8 and laughed too much for him to have a good time.

Posted by: anon | May 17, 2011 2:17:46 PM

13. Ha, awesome candor. It shouldn't be/hasn't been a big deal for rock stars to experiment since David Bowie, right? But still, I love his comfort with that.

I'm glad he digs women, because otherwise we wouldn't have Liv Tyler to look at, and she is so very, very pretty.

Posted by: AnotherG | May 17, 2011 2:35:22 PM

14. Steven Tyler is certainly a rock icon, and one of my faves. However, like Mick Jagger, he has never passed the 100% hetero smell test in my book. And yes, I mean beyond "experimenting".

Posted by: RDUB | May 17, 2011 2:43:43 PM

15. I was recently stunned to find two guys from school whom I'd had sex with who are living straight lives, and a jock who came out of the closet. I guess you never know.

Posted by: Jerry | May 17, 2011 3:44:01 PM

16. All we ask is that they try it three times...

Posted by: BobN | May 17, 2011 4:47:50 PM

17. LOL, I was going to just say the same thing, I tried straight sex and "I just didn't dig it" I mean really is he being serious?

Posted by: Ryan | May 17, 2011 6:12:42 PM

18. Steven, I'll tell you exactly what my mother told me:

"Aw, hon, you just haven't been with the right girl, that's all. Give it another shot, you'll see."

Posted by: johnny | May 17, 2011 6:38:37 PM

19. I don't understand why a few on here seem upset with this. He is acknowledging that he has dabble in sex with men but he found out it wasn't his thing. So...how can that be bad???? If anything, his position is one of total acceptance. Can someone who is upset with his statement explain to me what about it is upsetting?

Posted by: Lizzie | May 17, 2011 6:39:17 PM

20. It's like Morris the Cat saying he tried tuna once, didn't like it.

Posted by: ProfessorVP | May 17, 2011 6:58:08 PM

21. Who is Steven Tyler and why do I care whether he digs guys?

Posted by: Wondering | May 17, 2011 8:32:53 PM

22. So, you all needed to have sex with several women before you learned that you only like men?

I'm really confused.

Posted by: Rin | May 17, 2011 8:52:50 PM

23. Knew him and his family back when. He dresses like that to go shopping at the mall. Doesn't like shopping either. Cool guy.

Posted by: bobby o | May 17, 2011 8:56:07 PM

24. I remember Flea of the Red Hot Chili Peppers making a very similar non-chalant remark to that several years ago in an interview. The interviewer came back with something like, "But, did you get anything out of it at all?" he said, "Oh yeah, especially when I came in his mouth." But at the end of the day just decided he preferred women. I really respected him for that, as I do Steven Tyler for this statement.

As my grandfather always said about food when I was a little kid, "It's okay if you don't like it, but at least TRY it first!"

Posted by: Shelly | May 17, 2011 9:15:24 PM

25. I hope this isn't a big shocker to anyone. I wouldn't doubt AnYtHiNg Steven Tyler has 'dabbled' in.

Posted by: Oh_Surprize | May 17, 2011 10:29:14 PM