Basketball | Gay Slurs | News | Sports | Tim Hardaway

BigGayDeal.com

Tim Hardaway Responds to Joakim Noah's Anti-Gay Slur

Former Miami Heat player Tim Hardaway, who responded to John Amaechi's coming out in 2007 by declaring "I hate gay people," appeared on a radio show yesterday and commented on the Joakim Noah gay slur fine.

Hardaway Said Hardaway:

"He took the onus and went ahead and corrected the whole situation, like I did. That's all you can do is correct the situation. You're not trying to hurt anybody. You're not trying to offend anyone. You just have to take the right approach and hold your own self accountable for it and make everything right. That's all you can do....I'm still trying to rectify it. People ask me about it, and I tell them, 'That's in the past. I'm moving forward.'...I still learn from it and it's still a bump in the road for me. But you have to still move forward, still have to keep going, and that's the way it is. I'm not trying to shy away from it. I'm not trying to say I didn't do it. I'm rectifying it. I understand what I said and how I said it, which was wrong. And I'm just trying to move on from it."

Hardaway still works for the Heat as a player program liaison. Shortly after his words against gay people he did some work with the YES Institute, an advocacy center for LGBT youth.

Comments

1. I really love when these jocks say "You're not trying to hurt anybody" and "You're not trying to offend anyone" when they make homophobic remarks. I mean, c'mon, guys, if you're not trying to hurt or offend anyone, then why are you saying such hateful things to or about others? Those of us so hurt or offended apparently aren't nearly as stupid as you are in saying them. Get real and just STFU. It'll save you time having to say "if what I said offended anyone" and, probably, save you thousands of dollars in fines, too!

Posted by: Rob | May 26, 2011 9:10:56 AM

2. I give Hardaway credit for his willingness to say he was wrong and to try to make it right. That is already a lot more than we're going to get from most politicians.

Posted by: Hunter | May 26, 2011 9:11:58 AM

3. I agree, Rob, but what I think they mean to say is, I don't mean to offend the gay community. Obviously, they do mean to be offensive in general, which is why they are using such slurs. The positive thing is that these discussions are having an impact and putting the issue of hateful slurs out there and bringing awareness and education to the subject.

It's also good to hear how Mr. Hardaway has grown as a person beyond the slurs and hate in his heart. It shows us all that people can and do change, when you call them out on their bigotry or when they look at themselves in the mirror and don't like what they see. Things are definitely getting better and it's good that finally, people are being challenged and called out on their homophobia, but a lot of work still needs to be done.

Posted by: Francis | May 26, 2011 9:30:00 AM

4. I have a hard time imagining someone casually and publicly saying "I hate balack people" and then carrying on with any career.

Posted by: Jerry | May 26, 2011 10:12:39 AM

5. Somehow, I don't think Hardaway would be ok and willing to let me forward if I just randomly dropped the N-bomb and went around saying "I hate black people."

Posted by: Alex | May 26, 2011 10:28:36 AM

6. Screw him.

Posted by: Skep | May 26, 2011 10:42:20 AM

7. you know what Jerry and Alex, try it and see what happens. You never know what'll happen

Posted by: Pekemo | May 26, 2011 5:00:01 PM

8. People do things that they didn't notice they're hurting someone... Its past and he felt sorry for what he done.

Posted by: Professional Athletes David | Aug 31, 2011 8:54:24 AM

9. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging.

Posted by: Professional Athletes David | Aug 31, 2011 10:15:46 AM

10. The hate is expected from these groups. Not right, disgusting, but expected and given free speech

Posted by: read more | Jan 22, 2013 5:55:46 AM