Beyoncé | Music | Music Video | News

BigGayDeal.com

Watch: Beyoncé's 'Run The World (Girls)' Video

Beyonce

A well-dressed army of girls run the world in Beyoncé's new video, which debuted last night on American Idol. The clip is directed by Francis Lawrence.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I think this video is awful and so is the song. What happened? I hope this is just a hiccup on her new record coming out.

Posted by: Peter | May 19, 2011 7:42:31 AM

2. 3/4 of the song is annoying with the screeching background noise. They should have cut out the first couple of minutes, then it might work.

Posted by: David in Houston | May 19, 2011 8:05:36 AM

3. Dumbfounded. Good for her, I gather...

Posted by: La Garza | May 19, 2011 8:05:54 AM

4. when does the good part start?

Posted by: deanybeany | May 19, 2011 8:27:26 AM

5. The song doesn't get any better with repeat listens does it!

Posted by: Remote Patrolled | May 19, 2011 8:33:23 AM

6. Her worst song ever. Single Ladies was great, this stinks.

Posted by: bria. | May 19, 2011 8:54:29 AM

7. Meh.

Posted by: Chris K | May 19, 2011 8:55:13 AM

8. Boring as hell. Next.

Posted by: Justin | May 19, 2011 9:05:40 AM

9. Boy, do I miss the 1970's and 1980's. Guess I am gettin' old....

Posted by: Max F. Grump | May 19, 2011 9:21:02 AM

10. Beyonce's "career" is now over.

She has jumped the shark.

Pop music and its ridiculous excesses has jumped the shark (including that Lady with the 2nd name that sounds like a baby's gurgles).

Lady Gago is a fine musician (piano playing singer/songwriter), but she makes pretty horrible pop music based on fakery--music that melodramatizes and sensationalizes gayness and marginality.

Where is the integrity, the soulfulness in mass media music?

Is it all just costumes, excess, trite concepts (like "girls" instead of WOMEN ruling the world when clearly we don't!)?

Posted by: brenda | May 19, 2011 9:24:55 AM

11. *yawn* I'll wait for the "Gays Who Run the World" YouTube parody.

Posted by: Brian | May 19, 2011 9:34:10 AM

12. @Brenda: Yeah, I felt the same way. A lot of this video seems to care more about some fantasy of women (or girls) being this group with dominant socio-political global power, when in reality, gender and sexual violence and oppression is the name of the game, from a global context. In fact, a lot of the visuals of the song--the militants, the costuming, and the setting--made me think about African nations where a ton of sexual-based violence occurs against women. And with the recent press about lesbian corrective rape...

A song or video acknowledging the reality of oppression, but crafted as an empowerment song would have been a lot better.

Maybe next time, B. Stay grounded.

Posted by: luminum | May 19, 2011 10:04:38 AM

13. John Phillips Sousa wants his drum line back.

Posted by: Mike8787 | May 19, 2011 10:05:59 AM

14. I think the dancing is pretty awesome, but the song is horrible. As for Gaga, she's about to unleash the best album of her career and the best pop album of the year on Tuesday. If anything she's injecting some real artistry back into pop music (ignore the singles the album is fantastic).

Posted by: Wes | May 19, 2011 10:18:03 AM

15. IMO the video was excellent; they could've kept true to the theme better, but it was about 90% there. Regardless, it's not enough to save the song. The beat went everywhere and I no longer have a tolerance for songs reinforcing gender binary and perceived dominance. That being said, I have a serious question: Is it just me or is Beyonce slowly turning white?

Posted by: Question | May 19, 2011 10:30:10 AM

16. Question, many people have been raising that issue (skin lightening). Have you seen the cover of her new album?

Posted by: Wes | May 19, 2011 10:38:40 AM

17. I think that the sampling of Major Lazer was a bit excessive and didn't accentuate Beyonce's vocals.

Posted by: Perry | May 19, 2011 10:50:07 AM

18. The original Major Lazer video is FREAKY awesome though:

And sort of the opposite of this.

Posted by: Aman Chaudhary | May 19, 2011 11:05:46 AM

19. @West, Nah not yet. I've only seen the art for this single's release...goes to Google Images...the lighting is very harsh, but yeah, something's obviously going on.

Posted by: Question | May 19, 2011 11:07:09 AM

20. Love the video, HATE the song!
    ugh!

Posted by: Marc | May 19, 2011 11:09:24 AM

21. OK, I caved and actually watched it. Feels like Missy Elliot meets Thunderdome.

Posted by: Brian | May 19, 2011 11:13:22 AM

22. Who is that white woman?

Posted by: Dear John | May 19, 2011 12:05:27 PM

23. Am I the only one who kept wishing the hyenas Beyonce was chained to in one scene would turn around and devour her?

Posted by: Christopher King | May 19, 2011 12:20:11 PM

24. After all that delay? womp womp womp :-(

I actually prefer the bootleg Sean Bankhead version to this post-apocalyptic seizure Bey just threw up.

Sean's version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k05iTQQ_wHk

Posted by: RafiD'Angelo | May 19, 2011 1:38:56 PM

25. Amazing! That is all.

Posted by: Lance | May 19, 2011 2:06:33 PM