AARP Launches LGBT Microsite

Aarp

The AARP has launched a website for older LGBT Americans. They write:

"Welcome to AARP's online home for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community. This page is designed to spotlight articles on news, personal finance, relationships, travel and other topics of concern to older gay Americans, and their family and friends. It also provides information about AARP’s positions and advocacy efforts in this arena."

The site's initial articles include an interview with SAGE director Michael Adams, estate planning tips for LGBT couples, the gay man's guide to dating over 50, LGBT-friendly vacations, and an interview with Dan Savage.

Comments

1. MT says

I’m nowhere near their demographic yet, but I know how important AARP is a trendsetter for older Americans. They are a great power to have on your side. This seems like a pretty big step, and they should definitely be commended for it.

2. Scott says

OK,This makes me feel much better about the AARP. The next time that AAPR mailer comes asking me to join.. I will fill it out and join.

Now that I know that the AARP supports the community… I feel better about them as an organization.

For some unknown reason..My past opinion of them was that they were a conservative group.. mostly aligned with the Republicans.

3. Robert says

I doubt if AARP is that conservative now that John McCain has put out an ad telling AARPies to tear up their card and give their money to Goldman Sachs and others instead as well as privatizing social security.

4. bandanajack says

all i can say is
    ITS ABOUT DAMN TIME!!
    i have had conversations about this and written letters for at least the last 15 years. i suppose i should be grateful they have acknowledged my/our existence before i croaked.

i may even join again.

5. wimsy says

AARP is late to the party, as usual.

Guess they looked at the demographics and saw opportunities to sell more insurance.

6. John says

I’ve been a member of AARP for over a decade, and have generally found them to be supportive of gay and “progressive” issues… now they are taking the next step. I say Kudos to AARP!