Comments

1. j says

AMAZING!!!! I am so proud of her for surviving that tragic incident! This shows evil never triumphs! I am even prouder to know that one of the doctors who help her on her recovery is a Filipino! GO!

2. topher says

Man, what a survivor, and a wonderful LGBT ally. I agree with the posts above: a true beautiful woman, and this makes for the most wonderful piece of news I’ve seen in months.

3. Dback says

Someone has to be the jerk here and say what people aren’t willing to say out loud, and take the heat: if Gabrielle Giffords and Daniel Hernandez speak at the Democratic Convention next year, and have a “viral video” moment, the Democrats will retake the White House in a cakewalk. These people are true heroes, people who really walk the walk for what Democrats (and public servants) are supposed to be.

4. jamal49 says

@DBACK: I hope they will. Not for the drama it might create, but simply because, as you say, they are exactly what being a Democrat is all about. I have been a life-long Democrat through good and bad times and this photo of Rep. Giffords is the face of courage and a representation of the victory of good over evil.

5. Gregoire says

I’m surprised Fox News has broken with the big scandal here — Mrs. Giffords is not a real blonde! She’s clearly been lying to her constituents and needs to resign.

(Since this is Towleroad, the home of raging lunatic commenters, I feel the need to underscore that that was a joke.)

6. says

@Gregoire:

Only dense PC maniacs would interpret your comment about Giffords’ hair color in a negative light. But the real question is this: Is Mitt Romney a natural brunette? From some close ups I’ve seen, his hair is probably as white as Bob Barker’s.

7. Grover Underwood says

the photo caption just blows me away-she’s getting a piece of her skull replaced? just wow! Hope her road to recovery is a smooth and quick one!

8. AllBeefPatty says

I wonder what are her feelings about gun laws now.

Not to mention her fabulous, all-paid, government health care which saved her life.

9. ratbastard says

I send her and her husband best wishes.

That said:

There are MANY people who are victims of violent crime in the U.S. who don’t receive a fraction of the attention, or resources, Rep. Giffords is getting. We’ve had a huge violent crime wave going on in the U.S. since the 1960s-70s. ‘Progressive’ solutions have been tried [especially wide-spread social engineering dating from the 60s, 70s and 80s] and have failed miserably. There is no denying the most violent places in America [cities,urban areas] are ALL top-heavy with ‘progressives’ and ‘progressive’ politicians. ‘Progressive’ policies dating back now a half century or more, regarding anti-poverty campaigns, homelessness, violent crime reduction, lowering or preventing ‘poor’ woman and girls from having babies and repeating the cycle of poverty,ignorance and violence, etc., getting people with serious mental illnesses OFF the streets, and real help, DO NOT WORK.

‘Solutions’ from the right, likewise, fail.