Anthony Weiner | Jon Stewart | News

Jon Stewart Unloads on Anthony Weiner's Chest: Video

Stewartweiner

Jon Stewart covered the latest chapter of the Anthony Weiner Twitter saga and the Kanye-ing of his press conference by conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart. Stewart said the most disappointing thing about covering your friend in a scandal like this, is finding out that he's ripped.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

In related news, Mediaite looks at how Weiner's situation measures up to that of Craigslist Congressman Chris Lee, and lists "several large-scale factors in play when evaluating the egregiousness of a sexual trespass by a political figure."

Comments

1. The James Franco reference was a howl.

Posted by: RW | Jun 7, 2011 8:30:05 AM

2. What blows me away about this is that he clearly did it AT WORK. I mean, come on! Anyone else would be spinning on their ass on the pavement if they were caught sexting at their desks. Government officials? Not so much.

Posted by: AJ | Jun 7, 2011 10:03:13 AM

3. Supposedly close friends (which in DC means they have common rolodex entries), but never seen each other shirtless?? Probably not too close then.

Posted by: anon | Jun 7, 2011 10:49:22 AM

4. They haven't seen each other shirtless RECENTLY. If they had, I'd be a little concerned and this "scandal" would actually be interesting. They know each other from college.

As to sexting from his office, that's one of the perks of being the boss. After all, it's his office. I'm pretty sure taking naughty pictures of yourself is one of the tamest things that ever went down in a Congressman's office.

Posted by: ohplease | Jun 7, 2011 11:25:51 AM

5. AJ, you realize that Weiner's not an employee. He was elected not "hired". I know that politicians like to say they're "hired" but it's not the same thing.

Posted by: Daniel | Jun 7, 2011 12:19:03 PM

6. Stewart and Weiner were roomates after college, I'm sure he's seen his chest. I like how this proves Stewart does not only go after the right, the left is fair game as well, regardless if they are friends or not.

Posted by: pbnyc59 | Jun 7, 2011 2:21:27 PM

7. From Media-ite:

"Neither is the first nor the last in the long list of ethically troubled public servants to face similar problems ... serve as a neat little thought experiment on how the public reacts to their public officials when they prove to lack moral fortitude."

I'm sorry. Since when is one man's harmless vice an indictment of his whole moral being?
    This country is too prudish.
    I'm proud to say I don't subscribe to that trashy website.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Jun 7, 2011 3:17:08 PM

8. @Rodney Wollam - I agree with you that there is nothing wrong with sexting between adults. I do think there is something wrong with sexting women you don't even know how old they are who aren't your wife, presumably without your wife's knowledge (thus the references to how he failed his wife and family) and while going after members of the other party for their moral failings (albeit, worse ones). I defended Weiner to the hilt when I thought they were his own private photos hacked and exposed to embarrass him. I don't defend him now. Not because I'm conservative (I'm very liberal) but because I hate hypocrisy. He had the first part right--he never claimed to be a family values candidate (most Republican's problem when they go down in scandal), but he did VICIOUSLY and humorously go after Republicans when they had moral failings, and seem to enjoy it. It makes it hard to just ignore it here. But I feel bad for the guy. I hope he takes his licks, learns from it, and comes back sounder politically and personally--we need his particular voice.

Posted by: breckroy | Jun 7, 2011 6:22:53 PM

9. He has apologized for his mistakes. His moral character is still intact if you ask me.
    Let's put this behind us.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Jun 7, 2011 6:44:41 PM

10. Still waiting for a Democrat to say "yeah, I did it, so what?"

Posted by: Randy | Jun 8, 2011 2:18:31 AM