Don Lemon | Rick Santorum

Watch: Rick Santorum Tells Don Lemon He Has Gay Friends

Rs

Hard to believe but Rick "frothy mix" Santorum is yet again claiming that he is not a homophobe. This time he tells interviewer Don Lemon that he had just spent time with a gay friend a couple of days beforehand.

Watch the clip, in which Lemon has the same incredulous reaction I had when I first heard his response, AFTER THE JUMP...

Here's more:

Comments

1. I think this says more about his gay friends than it does about him.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jun 12, 2011 10:14:54 AM

2. Translation: "I'm more than willing to use gay people who are clueless enough to let themselves be treated as doormats."

Posted by: jomicur | Jun 12, 2011 10:19:47 AM

3. I'm a little disappointed that Don Lemon and other interviewers don't challenge Rick Santorum more about his homophobia.

For example, why not ask him this question:

"Why do you think that religion is a valid ground to discriminate against others and deny them the same rights as you?"

Or this follow-up:

"If America constitutionally ensures the free exercise of religion, and therefore all religions and nonreligions can practice freely, then why do you feel that your own homophobic view of religion should be given precedent all the way up to denying others the same rights that you enjoy?"

I just feel that the level of questioning ENABLES these political bigots to paint FALSE pictures of themselves.

Agree or not agree?

Posted by: brenda | Jun 12, 2011 10:20:56 AM

4. I'm sure his friends name is Chris Barron...

Posted by: Taylor | Jun 12, 2011 10:21:07 AM

5. "yeah, my gay friends understand I want to pass laws against them..."

you know, I'm not buyin' it.

Personally, I'd like to pass laws restricting Conservatives, but I highly doubt they would take that in stride.

Posted by: Pete n SFO | Jun 12, 2011 10:21:49 AM

6. Vile piece of human garbage is what Santorum is (in addition to being a frothy mix.) Of course the GoProud losers would endorse his ass if he won the nomination so that actually makes them worse...

Posted by: james_from_cambridge | Jun 12, 2011 10:22:16 AM

7. ok so lets not forget that there is the part of the definition of Homophobia that includes discrimination...not just a fear or aversion to Homosexuals so it depends on what context people answer the I am not a Homophobe question.
    Merriam Webster:
    ho·mo·pho·bia noun \ˌhō-mə-ˈfō-bē-ə\
    Definition of HOMOPHOBIA

: irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals

Rick Santorum = Homophobe

Posted by: Dorishin | Jun 12, 2011 10:24:51 AM

8. I'll bet he even lets these gay friends of his use his bathroom.

Posted by: RainbowPhoenix | Jun 12, 2011 10:28:52 AM

9. Guy in lemon shirt interviews slimy bit of fecal matter.

Posted by: Adrian | Jun 12, 2011 10:29:48 AM

10. I love them but I want to deny them fundamental human rights and force them by law to be second class citizens. I love them but I want to demonize them in front of my Christian friends even if it forces innocent teens to jump off bridges or blow their brains out. I love them but I want to leverage the hatred of others to win political office. I love them but I want to abuse them mercilessly and treat them as if I despise them.

And of course they respect me for that.

Posted by: Trev | Jun 12, 2011 10:32:20 AM

11. Don Lemon rocks. Good for him for pointing out what a lying piece of filth Santorum is.

Posted by: gaylib | Jun 12, 2011 10:34:38 AM

12. "Yeah, yeah. I have a gay friend. His name? It's . . . George. George Glass. Yeah, that's it."

(With apologies to Jan Brady.)

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Jun 12, 2011 10:40:27 AM

13. @Brenda - excellent point! I wish those questions would be asked also. Unfortuately it appears the press just continues to give these bullshitters a bully pulpit to spew their hate. We need to keep applying the pressure, so hopefully one day those questions will start to be asked. I also agree with what many others have pointed out... If Santorum has friends, it says more about them than him.

Posted by: Mike | Jun 12, 2011 10:45:04 AM

14. Brenda, here is the question I want asked of homophobic politicians:

"America is a tapestry made up of all kinds of people. How do you see gay people fitting into that tapestry? You don't want gay couples to have any form of legal recognition, you don't want them to adopt, you don't want them to serve openly in the military, you don't think they need workplace protection or hate crimes protection, and in some cases, you don't want them teaching in the classroom. So, in your opinion, what is their place in the American tapestry?

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Jun 12, 2011 10:45:17 AM

15. No one ever asks these people who their gay friends are (if they exist), and then goes and interviews them to see how these mythical people view their relationship.

Posted by: homer | Jun 12, 2011 10:50:15 AM

16. Remember Mary Cheney?

BTW, gay couples are also taxed on their health insurance and are ineligible to receive their spouse's social security benefits, unlike married straight couples.

Posted by: t | Jun 12, 2011 11:17:25 AM

17. BRENDA- I LOVE YOU!!!!!! How can we get those questions to the right people??? Send them to PBS or NPR- they seem to be the only ones that wouldnt have a problem with asking those questions. They have bigger balls than the mainstream media for sure.

Posted by: Todd B | Jun 12, 2011 11:45:24 AM

18. simply put you can have gay friends and be a homophobe.....I really get tired of these homophobes say they are not homophobe when they do not support equal rights...to me having gay friends and being a homophobe is a oxymoron!

Posted by: wyocwboy62 | Jun 12, 2011 11:48:04 AM

19. I've had enough of anti-gay bigots saying they have gay friends. I want interviews WITH their gay friends.

For real.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jun 12, 2011 11:53:33 AM

20. Dear Rainbowphoenix,

Don't dismiss the possibility that Santorum met all of his gay friends in bathrooms.

Posted by: Frank | Jun 12, 2011 12:04:51 PM

21. I'm always amused when these right wing wackos claim they have gay friends and love them as if it gets them them off the homophobia hook, while stabbing them in the back when calling for a ban on our marrying, among other things. GOProud will be groveling, kissing and licking his ass if he gets to the White House. Disgusting piece of human detritus. I wouldn't mind betting he's another Ken Mehlman in the making, married or not.

Posted by: Robert | Jun 12, 2011 12:05:44 PM

22. I'm sure he counts all the gays in GOProud as his friends.....

Posted by: Bill | Jun 12, 2011 12:21:51 PM

23. Maybe he only meant 'gay' in the old fashioned happy sense of the word. You know, before us homos 'stole' the word. He was referring only to his happy friends. Perhaps when Don Lemon clarified that he meant homosexual friends the response was "Good God No, Never....

Posted by: Den | Jun 12, 2011 12:57:34 PM

24. Thanks Mike, Dastius Krazitauc, and Todd B. for your feedback and support. I wish these more challenging questions could be answered.

And best wishes to all you gentlemen and to Steve for posting this today.

Say, am I the only woman or lesbian who comments on towleroad these days?

Posted by: brenda | Jun 12, 2011 1:00:02 PM

25. Santorum, those men you fool around with in back allies don't count as friends.

Posted by: Max | Jun 12, 2011 1:22:26 PM